Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always felt that BURST was probably the most concussive of the three, where PULSE was similar, but more rattling on a ship's hull. Stream would be for slicing and pinpoint accuracy, no?

2. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loving the ships myself actually and can't wait to see them in action once the series starts up. A huge wait for sure but yet its great to see what the ships will look like on screen. Love the direction and agree they should look nothing like the JJ verse verisons.

3. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

That's pretty much how I see it, Jim.

4. Linnear

Linnear Lieutenant Commander

[​IMG]

Shuttlecraft Gagarin. More photos on Facebook.

Alec

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoa, that's sexy. :)

Mark

6. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love those retractable steps.

7. Linnear

OK, glad you do. I wasn't sure myself.

Of course that is just being a nit-picker since Tobias' work is so damn good.

Alec

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. Today

Today Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really like the John Eaves inspired shuttle. Came out very nice! :cool:

9. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Agreed. The steps are nice. When I first saw the pictures I was wondering how someone would enter the craft, then I saw the steps. Nice looking shuttle!

Duane

10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not so sure. The vessel is lovely, but those steps retract into the warp nacelle ... the last place I'd expect to find spare room for bulky wedges. Perhaps if they unwrapped from the exterior instead?

11. Linnear

Day 1 of Christian's storyboarding Axanar happened yesterday. Being an amazing visual artist (Christian Gossett is the creator of The Red Star and worked as a concept artist on Peter Jackson's King Kong and Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland) he brings a breadth of experience to the role of Director. It was a great experience for me as Christian and I enjoy a great collaborative relationship. I wrote the script (with Dave Galanter) and Christian is the Director. Together we are telling an amazing story and what Christian came up with BLEW ME AWAY. It will look unlike any other Star Trek production. I am very excited.

[​IMG]

A scene Christian came up with to introduce Kharn, the lead Klingon and Commander of the Klingon Fleet. Christian wants a scene like the garden secne in "Midway" where we first meet Yamamato. And yes, Christian and I, both see Klingons as Samurai, the honor warriors. "Midway" is a favorite of both of us and "The Last Samurai" and anything Kurosawa are inspirations.

Will post more as we move along. Christian and I storyboarded the first major battle yesterday.

Alec

12. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have been given permission by Alec Peters to post this first concept
    sketch of Richard Hatch as the main Klingon.

Sean P. Tourangeau
    11-16-2012

Star Trek Axanar
    [​IMG]

13. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Richard Hatch? Cool!

14. Linnear

Just the first of a couple amazing actors who will be in Axanar. Richard happened to be my first acting coach many years ago and is a good friend. He is very excited about Axanar and we are working with him on his character. Actors love having input into their character development during the writing process and rarely get it.

Christian and I had lunch with Richard this week to discuss the project again and things are moving along nicely.

Alec

15. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shoot me an email on his thoughts for his character and I would love to form my sketches based off of them.

16. Linnear

Here are updated images of the 4 main older Klingon Ships. These come from "Enterprise".

Klingon D-4

[​IMG]

Klingon D-5

[​IMG]

Early Klingon Bird of Prey

[​IMG]

Klingon Raptor

[​IMG]

There are two more ships to come. The Klingon D-6, which is the mainstay of the Klingon fleet in 2245, and the Klingon D-7, which is the dreadnaught that is just coming off the line and which the Klingons hope will tip the balance of the war. (The Constitution class is the Federation answer to the D-7 an dthere is an arms race to get each ship to the fight).

Alec

17. Linnear

Here are the images of the Klingon D-6 created by Tobias Richter. The D-6 is the state of the art ship before the D-7s are launched. In "Axanar" the D-7 (like the Constitution Class) is the dreadnaught of their day. There is an arms race to get the respective ships off the line and into battle. So the D-6 is the main ship of the line for the Klingons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy them.

Alec

18. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Linnear, as always, I'm impressed by Tobias' work. Forgive me if this has been mentioned earlier and I've missed it, but the artwork so far is building to give me an impression of a Star Trek version of the movie Tora! Tora! Tora! What is the tone you're shooting for?

EDIT:
    Okay, I'm an idiot. I just re-read the part where you discuss Midway. I'm now slapping my forehead vigorously.

19. Linnear

HA HA Good question though. Christian and I are both big military history buffs and Midway is just one of the best war stories ever. So there are things we like from that story, but the whole of Japan in WWII is a rich source of material. Pearl Harbor (Think BSG: Razor), Midway, hell Coral Sea is an AMAZING battle no one ever talks about. Yamamoto as the reluctant warrior.

So there are many inspirations, but of course, the story must be original and fascinating to a Star Trek audience.

I am writing Act 4 now, which is all the Battle of Axanar. And I did a lot of research, even reading four of the Honor Harrington novels to see how the author described those battles (Basically 18th century navel battles in space). Everything sparks ideas. Not to copy, but in directions to go.

As I have said, I don't want final battle to be one big DS9 style slugfest. I have lots of problems with those battles. So ours needs to be really strategically interesting, while pushing the story forward and helping define our characters.

Alec

20. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Coral Sea is one of those "required reading" battles for anyone who wants to truly understand the difference between a "tactical" victory and a "strategic" one. The Japanese were well on their way to capturing Australia and possibly tilting the whole game board in the Pacific. Coral Sea was a tactical draw, but it marked the end of a string of Japanese wins and set the stage for Midway. Midway of course, was both. However, a close reading of history shows that Admiral Spruance's brilliant decisions made sure that the tactical wins translated into the key strategic win of the Pacific win.

Sorry for the ramble, but the bottom line is if that's where you're getting your inspiration, you've chosen well. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.