Jack Reacher yes,no, maybe so

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by highlander, Dec 7, 2012.

?

Are you excited for Jack's big screen debut

1. yes

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. no

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. maybe so

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have become a big fan of Lee Child's novels over the last year and Jack Reacher has to be one of my all time favorite characters. That being said.....I was psyched for a movie version but I admit Mr Cruise has me a little worried. I still wanna go see it but what do you all think? Any Reacher fans out there? Are you going to see it? Are you OK with Tom Cruise?

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I've narrated several of the Reacher audiobooks. The best thing I can say about them is that they're incredibly easy to narrate. And I'm sure they make great mindless airport/airplane reading. Other than that, I find the stories quite hard to believe. Essentially, some drifter moseys into town and, while being a complete stranger, ends up being a know-it-all about practically everything, while at the same time making the other characters look like complete morons. And if I had a nickel for every time Reacher "said nothing," I'd have a shitload of nickels.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I really would be more excited if they'd cast someone more Reacher-ish. Adam Baldwin is who I have in my head when I read the books, but I'm not naive enough to think that they'd cast someone like him to topline a big Hollywood movie. But Chris Hemsworth, Alexander Skarsgard or even Ben Affleck would have provided the requisite size and bulk if they'd wanted to get a box-office draw.

Leaving that aside, I do think that this will be a good movie. McQuarrie is a fine writer and director and I really like Cruise as a leading man, even if he's not my idea of Jack Reacher. I'm not out-and-out excited but I am looking forward to seeing this and interested in seeing how Lee Child's plotting, which I think is deceptively good, translates to the big screen.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe so for me, I'm not familiar with the novels or character and the early trailers really didn't do anything for me, but I've started to become more interested with the recent TV spots. I might go see it just on a whim.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No, mostly because I'm not a good fan of Cruise's. However, I do have tickets to a free-screening on Monday so I'm going to see it.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

No.

Not because I hate Tom Cruise. I think he's a fine actor.

He's also a frigging midget compared to Jack Reacher.

Lee Child obviously went for the payday when he said Cruise would be good for the part.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Writer/director- good, could be decent

Casting- utterly wrong- Cruise matches Reacher about as well as he'd be a match for Muhammad Ali or Queen Victoria, and I say that as someone who's perfectly OK with his movies and onscreen persona

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know why, but Tom Cruise is just Tom Cruise for me on screen, he never disappears in the role. Which is why I don't really care for films starring Cruise.

9. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with Captaindemotion on the Adam Baldwin thing...thats who I mentally cast myself while reading. The whole size thing is a stumbling block for me, but Reacher's attitude is really important to me also. I hope Cruise can pull that off at least.

10. Trekker4747

Well in the books how much is the character like Tom Cruise? Because Tom Cruise only plays one character in all of his movies: Tom Cruise.

11. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

What I took from the trailer is that he's a cop with no regard at all for the rule of law or due process, or even for the lives of the people he supposedly serves (not to mention derives his paycheck from), and these are supposed to be his better qualities?

I have nothing but contempt for the type in real life. Don't think I'd like a movie version any better.

Didn't know it was based on an existing property. That makes my opinion of it even lower.

12. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Not at all. Jack Reacher has a deep, serious intensity that Cruise is incapable of.

13. Trekker4747

So he's not a constantly smirking jackass?

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm quite surprised how well the Jack Reacher books have sold.

Are the books really that good? :eek:

15. Trekker4747

To be fair, the "Shades of Gray" books sold well, too.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So would you watch "Shades of Gray" if those books are turned into movies like you watched the "Twilight" movies?:)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The author Lee Child was quoted as saying, "Reacher’s size in the books is a metaphor for an unstoppable force, which Cruise portrays in his own way."

Looks like the author really wants the movie to do well!

18. Trekker4747

Probably not. I only saw the Twilight movies because they were such a "pop culture phenomenon" that I felt it was my duty to see them in order to a)properly make fun of them b)rightfully make fun of them c)to enjoy Rifftrax. And, well, in the end I ended up enjoying them on some level beyond riffing fodder.

I doubt the Shades of Gray movies will have the same impact since they'll likely be geared for an older audience without a lot less gratuitous teenage-girl fan service.

19. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My fears have been realised.I walked in to a bookshop today and saw that One shot has been rereleased complete with The Cruisers gurning mug on the cover.
    I simply couldn't contemplate buying any future Reacher books if this will be the way from now on.:rofl:

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Don't worry, those were tie-in novels released to advertise the upcoming movie. The covers should go back to normal after a while. Film adaptations do that all the time.

The same thing happened with Twilight when those movies were being released.