New Navy Destroyer.... But, Get This....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Harbinger, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

You sound like someone that know's what he's talking about :techman:

Senior Captains for a pre-commissioning gig aren't that uncommon.

That experience, especially with this "thing" is preferred. Remember, all the instructions/policies for this class ship are going to start from scratch.

My only reservations about this DDG is the cost.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'd read that carries are only ever captained by naval aviators (or former ones) but never looked into.

Gather it was a bit of a turf thing - to stop the "old" navy from taking over the new guys?

3. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

IT'S REAL!!! STAR TREK IS REAL!!! I KNEW IT!!! AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

4. Yanks

:guffaw::techman:

Finally, Capt. Kirk has his cloaking device

http://fox2now.com/2013/10/31/finally-capt-kirk-has-his-cloaking-device/

Hard to believe this is happening :lol:

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

After about a decade of seeing various versions of artwork for this ship, it's odd seeing the actual thing.

RAMA

6. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Agreed; I never expected to see her. She certainly looks better "in person" than the art ever made he look. I am wondering how stable she is though, considering that her hull is basically the reverse shape of any other ship's hull in existence.

7. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was wondering if that was the case, thanks. I realize he'll be more of a project manager than a skipper.

Mostly the result of some smart people taking a serious look at how the aviation services should be run post-WW1: Would the army and navy keep their air forces, or would they be split off and mashed together in a new independent air force? And if they kept them separate, how would they be integrated into the parent service? They realized traditional "seaman" line officers would be out of their depth trying to manage the aviation aspects of an aviation command, so Congress made it a law that only naval aviators or aviation observers could command a carrier (or seaplane tender, or air station). Because the WW1-era fliers were nowhere near senior enough to command a major vessel, the navy "drafted" a number of senior, middle-aged line officers to go through flight school and qualify. That is how top WW2 admirals Ernest King, Bill Halsey, Richmond Kelly Turner and John S. McCain got their wings.

Naval Flight Officers (non-pilots) also qualify and are quite common as carrier skippers nowadays. "Back in my day" the battle group commander was also a carrier division commander and so was always an aviation officer as well. They changed that in the '90s so black shoes could also apply.

Black shoe = surface sailors
    Brown shoe = aviation

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't blame if he wasn't. You know he's had to have gotten plenty of ribbing over the years over his name just cause he's in the navy.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The Zumwalt's hull shape isn't really anything new.

[​IMG]

The tumblehome hull sides and reverse-rake or "ram" bow have both advantages and disadvantages.

Wiki article: Tumblehome

10. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

During the US Civil War, there was a COL James T. Kirk, son of George Kirk of Pennsylvania.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Was his general named Robau? :D

12. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

Definitely a cool looking ship; especially hearing that it could be fitted with lasers and rail type weapons.

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

In his place i would have owned this name and do everything in my power to get assigned to the USS Enterprise ;) (but he probably isn't a fan and planned his career realistically :().

Still.. i wonder if he ever used his name in connection with Star Trek, few could resist i believe.

As to the ship.. sure it's the future and it looks very futuristic. I'm especially impressed with the automated control systems reducing crew requirements and amount of people needed to run the ship properly without sacrificing effectivity.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Actually, it's the present. ;)

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, this ship is being commissioned in less than a year. It looks fantastic.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I meant it's the future of naval warfare.. that's what i get when i assume people can read my mind and what i'm trying to say :p

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well, I guess it beats being called Dumwalt...Breaking Bad joke in there somewhere...sorta like Deepak Chopra, Tupac Shakur and a Six Pack a beer...

18. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that CVN-65 is still commissioned even though she has been retired. we would have a lot more work to do then we did with the space shuttle to get a ship in the current pipeline renamed Enterprise. Captain Kirk missed the window of opportunity.

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-80)

20. Yanks

She will not be decommissioned until she is completely defueled. She's "deactivated" right now.