So what are you doing as we await Fearful Symmetry

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ripster, Mar 27, 2008.

1. ripster

ripster Ensign Newbie

Hello to all,

It's been a long time since Warpath and I've (finally) run out of all the other trek books that I've had piled up, so I've started re-reading the DS9 Relaunch from Unity onwards (although now that I've started I kinda want to go back to Avatar).

It's still a while to July so I'm going to try and spin out the rest of the DS9 books until then.

How are you biding your time?

Cheers,

Colin

2. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I can wait for that book without any problems. I am reading the new Torchwood novels at the moment and have quite a few Star Trek novels on my to-read pile. What I am mainly waiting for is the first New Frontier comic book. I hoped to get it for my Birthday this week but it seems to be unlikely to happen now.

I used to love DS9 Relaunch but the introduction of various religious factions and species around the Prophets and definitely the introduction of the Mirror Universe element have dampened my enthusiasm quite a lot.

3. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading other books that are in my backlog. When I'm done with those, the library has more. I'm not anticipating FS more than any other book this year, so it's not too hard to wait.

4. Hardin

Hardin Captain Captain

I've got quite a few books to keep me busy until then but I'm really looking forward to finally read it. I may re-read once again the whole relaunch coming summer in anticipation.

5. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Commander Red Shirt

Since I'm one of the few people who aren't that enthusiastic about the DS9-Relaunch, I can't say that I'm actually counting the days until Fearful Symmetry. Currently I have more than 200 unread Trek-books which I mix between the new releases. I just started with the Vulcan's Forge/Heart/Soul- Series, next one is Klingon Empire + related stuff (Diplomatic Implausibility and The Brave and the Bold). Once those are finished I will take care about all that Mirror Universe Stuff (Dark Passion, Mirror Universe Anthologies, then finally Fearful Symmetry).
    But as I said, it's one of the books I can wait for, unlike Terok Nor, Myriad Universe, Greater than the Sum and Destiny, all books which can't wait to read...

6. Rabid Trekkie

Rabid Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've finally started the DS9 relaunch, working through New Frontier, and reading the Del Rey edition of Conan The Cimmerian. As well as various comic books.

7. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've thought about starting over again and re-reading the entire DS9 relaunch, beginning with "Avatar". My memory of all the events throughout the relaunch has suffered in-part because of the sporatic release schedule, so it might be good for me to have the opportunity to read everything back-to-back in a short period of time.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By not caring.

The DS9 books lost whatever plot momentum they once had. The long wait would be acceptable if there was actually some wrapup at the end of each book; but because of how heavily serialized the books are, it's rather difficult for someone to come back to the story after a break.

(And before Christopher brings up "but other series don't have their books so close together": they also actually tell complete stories in one volume.)

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^In this case, the only thing I'd point out is that the delay was never intended to be this long. It's a bit unfair to say it's "unacceptable" as if it were somehow an intentional editorial choice.

10. phrog

phrog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Trying, somewhat unsuccessfully, to get through the Voyager Relaunch with the idea of then reading the TNG Relaunch afterwards so I stay somewhat chronological and linear as far as character progression goes, knowing that Seven and Janeway make significant appearances therein.

But I tell you, I'm having trouble with Homecoming even. *sigh* I know it's very cliche at this point to knock the Voyager Relaunch, but I honestly tried to get into it. I just finished a run through of the TV series front to back and picked up Homecoming right after Endgame and it still is a letdown and very hard to get into.

Also, I went back and read Serpents Among the Ruins... which proves to me that David George is one of the best writers Trek has ever had. I was considering doing Art of the Impossible and Battle of Betazed afterwards to get all caught up on Vaughn appearances, but the advance info about Destiny made me want to get caught up on events outside of DS9. Perhaps going from Serpents into the Voyager Relaunch wasn't a good idea.

11. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

By reading a boatload of other books. I've joined a book club here in Omaha, and we're doing an every-other month read ... In odd months, we're doing Harry Potter reads, and in even months, any SF book that month. It meets the third Tuesday of each month. For this month, it was the third Potter book. Yeah, I've already read it, but it was nice reading it again.

For next month, it's whatever we've read that month and talking about it.

I just finished the sixth A Time To book, and will start the seventh (A Time to Kill, I believe) shortly. I'm also reading Send Yourself Roses (Kathleen Turner), and various other novels ... I'm also very anxiously awaiting the next Southern Vampire/Soukie Stackhouse book, due out in May I believe.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The first of the DS9-R compatable Star Trek: Terok Nor trilogy just came out.

13. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Twidiling my thumbs... Just kidding. I've made it a point to start reading Star Trek novels slowing so I can enjoy them while waiting for new ones to come out. To be honest, the only Star Trek novels I read are TNG, DS9, Titan and Voyager novels. I haven't really paid attention to any of the other series (TOS, Vanguard, New Frontier, SCE, etc). I would like to read the Enterprise novels some day, but I haven't gotten around to it.

But I read a lot of non-Trek material. I have been reading a lot of Dostoyevsky lately (currently reading The Gambler) and a number of other books.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

by reading a lot of other stuff and impatiently awaiting my copy of Klingon Empire #1...

i've just read the 'Odyssey' TPB of the first shatnerverse novels and after i finish Ultimate Spider-Man 'Death of a Goblin' TPB, i'm reading Tek War and if i like it enough, i've got a lot of, if not all of, the Tek series to read. plus some other trek novels, including - going Old Skool - Mudd's Angels and Planet of Judgement...

(mate gave me a bag full of his flatmate's books that the flatmate left when he buggered off to Buckinghamshire months ago...)

15. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I'm clipping my toenails.

What?

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Same here. I got a bunch of books for Christmas (and now more for my birthday) and I'm still working through those. I can wait (barely). :D

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm reading some Trek (Terok Nor, Forged in Fire [which I just found out I've been reading for three months], SCE) non Trek (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Color of Magic). I've started reading three books at once so I can get through more quicker, or not in Forged in Fire's case. I think the main reason I haven't finished FiF is because I have finished HG2G, half of Color of Magic, and 2 SCE stories since I first started it. I've decided today that I'm going to get back to work on FiF, so that I can go back and reread all of the DS9R books from the Mission Gamma series on before FS comes out.

18. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

I got lost reading the relaunch somewhere in the middle of the Mission: Gamma miniseries, but now that I've started my 2376 chronological marathon I shall get to read them all and eventually make it to Fearful Symmetry in due time. In the meantime there's plenty of meaty SCE and Gorkon stories, plus the Terok Nor series to be getting on with.

19. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Just trying to keep one step ahead of the law.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:vulcan:^And have you been successful?