5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, May 29, 2010.

?

What do you think about the episode?

1. Brilliant

37.4%
  2. Good

45.2%
  3. Average

10.4%
  4. Meh

2.6%
  5. I wish we had a puke smilie

4.3%
  1. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

the physical set was fine, it was the CG environment that looked cheap, you know the first 30 seconds of the episode.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the Internet and TREK BBS.

:shifty:

3. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

so just me then?

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. But we have to be polite even when we want to type "WTF, ARE YOU NUTS??!" :) God forbid we let the place turn into GB.

Me? I loved it! Though I'm sad and bummed by Rory's death. I'm not usually a fan of reset buttons, but I'll be happy to make an exception in this case when it comes to the crack.

Loved how the Silurians turned out. All that just screamed classic Who. Right down to the Science vs Military subplot and the narrow split second escapes. If I had a nickel for everytime we heard "Kill them." "STOP!" back in the old days. I'd...well, I'd have a lot of nickels.

It was so nice to finally see a proper alien civilization. And honestly, unlike the Trek style aliens I was afraid they would turn into, I thought the Silurians were damn cool. And they actually had personalities. Imagine.

Argue all you like about the quality of the CGI. Having grown up on the classic series which had REALY dodgy SFX, I thought it all looked just fine thank you. *Meh, you kids and yer fancy computer effect*

No matter what happens, I'd say we're going to be in for one hell of a season finale.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Looked good to me?

6. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Mmh, it looked fine to me, certainly not cheaper than usual. (Doctor Who's CGI does look a bit cheaper than that of US genre shows, but that's fine. It's nothing glaring.)

7. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

maybe I should judge all of Doctors Whos FXs and CGI, by what was displayed in "Robot"

it was glaring to me.

8. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Can't say I had a problem with the cgi either. *shrugs*

What personalities?!? They were cyphers, nothing more. The angry military leader (with familial connections to the soldier us humans just killed, of course), the wise elder, the morally resolute scientist (who's totally fine with VIVISECTION btw, but lets just ignore that this episode). And all played their usual roles in this cliche ridden suckfest.

9. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yeah, I wondered about the role of the scientist in this episode, too. He had already vivisected Elliot's father (though that at least wasn't deadly or overly traumatic, it seems - or maybe I misheard the dialogue last week), was about to do the same to Amy, had apparently been kidnapping children from the surface to keep them in a state of very slow aging (again, maybe I misheard, but it sounded to me as if Elliot wasn't the first one) and when he tells that to the Doctor, he ends up saying that he loves him (in a platonic way, I hope). The scientist also claimed he'd never hurt Elliot and everyone just accepted that.
    So, either the vivisection thing was a cultural misunderstanding or important bits of the episode were cut out or that part just didn't make that much sense.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that Doctor was just going to throw that dead lizard general into the time event , and her subsequent erasure might have meant that Rory was never killed and even that her sister might not have died too and the Silurians and the humans learnt to get along.

11. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't understand why people are saying because Ten regenerated in the TARDIS, that that would bang destroy it? The Doctor has regenerated in the TARDIS before.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I voted good. The last 10 minutes cracked on, but before that I, for the first time, skipped bits, especially the emotional wibbling. They just weren't well written or compelling. I'll just stick in a generic 'written by Chibnall' comment here.

But I didn't expect that last 10 minutes. Rory's death and retcon shocked me. I admit that seeing the Crack there and then (in relation to everything else) gave me a shiver, I really didn't se it coming. And the fragment... :eek:

I think the finale will be surprising.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another enjoyable episode and it would seem that at least I'm partially correct that the events at the end of "The End of Time Part 2" are responsible for creating the spacial cracks and as suspected everything is being revealed as we go along. I enjoyed the depiction of the Silurians and am going to have to find someway to download the old episodes or find the DVD's if there are available...the Doctor did point out last episode that this was a different branch of the the species. Rory sacrificing himself to save the Doctor was nice...we know he'll be back or at least he's credited in the finale. Four more episodes left...and "Vincent and the Doctor" looks better than I thought it would be. Bill Nighly!!!

14. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

there was radiation he absorbed by the energy chamber of the Gate, that was cleary let out by the Doctor in the regeneration process, hence why it was half destroyed.

That said why the TARDIS would be able to fix itself, but not stop the cracks is an interesting question.

15. Admiral_Young

^ Possibly the Tardis didn't recognize the source of the energy and had no reference point to stop it...a guess.

16. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Or, more likely, that wasn't the reason the TARDIS explodes, and it instead explodes in the future and we're seeing the outcome of those events. Or worse, the Doctor stops the TARDIS from exploding, even though it clearly already has, creating a paradox which is where all the cracks are coming from.

The question to ask is why are these cracks only showing up now instead of in his past adventures? Clearly something that happened at the start of the season set these actions in motion, even if they're not the actual event. Big difference between those two things. It could -- and mostly does -- have everything to do with nearly breaking the time lock. That's far more plausible than the silly regeneration theory running around. The TARDIS can take way more abuse than a single reactor's output, for crying out loud.

17. Admiral_Young

After seeing the piece of shrapnel and your comment Checkmate I can't help but wonder about "The Big Bang" the Tenth's regeneration certainly was that and we really don't know WHEN the regeneration took place. We only assume that it was still in 2010 and then the Tardis crashes in 1996 or whenever it was when he meets Amelia. We only saw the interior of the explosion not the exterior until it was shown hovering towards Earth. As usual we'll be proven totally wrong.

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    A very fun episode. In the clips at the end of Eleventh Hour there is a scene of River in the TARDIS and some kind of explosion. The costume matches the character riding with Amy and the Doctor as welll as the one approaching Stonehenge. Perhaps that is where the explosions start that cause the cracks. All of it tied up with the Pandorica and River killing someone.

19. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Question: Is it really a retcon if the story not only acknowledges the change, but also makes it a rather big deal? I always thought retcons were done in ways to try and reduce as much attention to the discrepancy as possible.

20. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Not the future of the linear universe, but the Doctor's future.