50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since the above link for North American screenings just says Canadian info to be added later, here are the Canadian screenings.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

OMG! Doctor Who is showing in the theater in my town!!! I am so going!!!

3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

It isn't screening in Albuqueruque on opening night, but I'm sure it will be on the 25th... May have to see about going to that..

My comic shop is doing a Day of the Doctor event on the 23rd, including a screening, but I think I would rather be at home watching, as being in the shop would be too distracting, I think..

Would be cool to see this on the big screen...

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The BBC largely panders to the lowest common denominator. You've probably picked their best few shows from the past few years to watch out of context, but if you were to actually put BBC1 on for a Saturday night, you'd see where I was coming from. Unless you actually are a big fan of Strictly Come Dancing and Atlantis.

5. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks like some US locations are doing both 2D and 3D showings on the Monday: sometimes simultaneously, sometimes one after the other. If your location is doing both, there'll be both "Buy 3D Tickets" and plain ol' "Buy Tickets" options when you click the location in the Fathom Events locator.

6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

As it happens, I'll be in London that weekend so I already reserved some tickets!

Mr Awe

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Ha!

Even Strictly makes ITV's evening output look like the fucking RSC...

Now if you'd said Don't Scare The Hare, or That Puppet Game Show, you'd have a really good point...

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm going to be there that weekend, too. Were there tickets available in 2-D at the theater you purchased at?

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here here. BBC are useless. The only channel we have to pay a licence for and it's one of the most useless. bad drama and only 2 channels on HD.

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't say their channels are among the worst (though BBC3 is definitely close!), but their programming is largely offensively stupid and patronising.

They at least have the odd good show like Doctor Who, Sherlock, or The Thick of It. Foreigners just shouldn't take those as the normal quality of programming because they're very far from it.

BBC America's very own Orphan Black is better than anything us Brits have made all year.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

When I first started watching BBC America in 2002, I assumed that there would be awesome British shows in the vein of Blackadder and Father Ted and Doctor Who. What I got was a steady diet of Ground Force and some show about home remodeling that I've blanked out the name. Then I realized that even the BBC wasn't immune to Sturgeon's Law (99% of everything is shit), and at that point I was much happier. :)

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saturday night BBC has always been that way; it's hardly a new thing. Besides, there's always BBC2 and BBC4.

I'd take Saturday night BBC over Saturday night ITV. I tried ITV once and parts of my brain leaked from my ears.

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I was only looking for 3D so I checked the box to filter by 3D showings so I'm not really sure. So, sorry but I'm not really sure. I kind of hurried through it to be honest because I didn't want them to sell out!

Mr Awe

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I wonder what kind of box office the Dr Who movie will do! Especially with theaters charging the premium prices. Might this be a test run to gauge the bank-ability of an actual Dr Who theatrical movie?

Anybody know what the budget is? It's not on wikipedia.

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

For "The Day of the Doctor"? We know it was budgeted as a 60-minute episode. Somewhere between £1.25 and £1.5 million, I'd think.

ETA: Upon Googling, I'd revise those numbers downward, with £1.25 as the high end. Possibly around £1 million, then. Torchwood: Miracle Day probably had a higher budget per episode than "The Day of the Doctor." :)

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well that's lame. Didn't they know it going to be release in theaters worldwide?

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it isn't really a "theatrical release." Just a theatrical screening, similar to those TNG episodes which get screened to tie in with the Blu-ray releases of the seasons.

I don't know if the TNG episodes have a premium with them (I've never taken part in that) but these premiums are common for concerts or sporting events that get theatrical screenings. This is primarily the event's host's way of making it up for taking a theatre out of commission, which is especially a bi deal for Day of the Doctor given Saturday is one of the busiest days at a theatre, and the ones screening this will have an entire auditorium taken.

And really, what is the incentive for fans to go out and pay more than a standard movie ticket for something they literally can stay home and watch for free?

18. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

"Doctor Who in theaters - in 3D!!!" is what the incentive is. That and viewing the 50th Anniversary episode with (hopefully) a theaterful of fellow Whovians, all cosplaying, waving their sonic screwdriver toys and reacting loudly to every fan-pleasing moment onscreen. An outer space Rocky Horror Picture Show of sorts. It won't make much money, but that won't matter since the BBC apparently didn't spend much money on it. A win-win any way you look at it.

19. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

The experience, I guess. I have a trio of friends who are going to it and who will skip the TV showing in order to do so. They plan to dress up, etc. I've been invited but I don't know yet whether I want to go.

Part of me wants to see Who on the big screen, but part of me wonders if it's worth it since I plan to see it on the Saturday showing on TV anyway.

20. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Yeah, and that's what's putting me off. The only time I experienced something like that was when I saw "Serenity" on opening night. There were a bunch of people in the theater doing that shit. Exaggerated laughs at the lines, cheers after one-liners, cheering on Mal and Jayne...two of them even had the script and were reading lines aloud from the movie.

It was a whole group of them and they came all costumed out, and it ruined my experience, to be honest. I'm sure THEY had fun, but I was annoyed all to hell.

I guess if I go I have to put myself in the right mindset for it, or at least watch Day of the Doctor by myself first, process it, and then watch it with rabid fans so if I miss something because of the sonic screwdriver noises or whooping cheers, I won't be annoyed.