Starship flyby sound effects

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by JarodRussell, Oct 4, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm looking for clean flybys SFX of starships. Preferrably Star Trek. For slow flybys (15 to 20 seconds long).

And I'm looking for basic starship... "humming" sounds. You get that a lot in TNG when the ship isn't flying by, you hear just that basic low pitched noise.

A web search so far only brought up very alien sounding stuff, and also just very short and quick flybys.

Thanks!
    Jarod

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Of course, you have the option of being realistic. There is no sound in space.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've never come across an authentic Trek exterior flyby sound effect. For my scifi animations (usually non-Trek, non-Star Wars), I often take a contemporary jet flyby and just slow it down, reverse it, or filter it a bit. I have the .wav files from the first Starfleet Command game I sometimes use, but don't see a flyby there either, though they do have some "ambient" space sound effects for background noise.

4. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

We tried it, and it just doesn't work for the audiences. They expect some sort of sound effect.

Jarod, did you try TrekCore? They've got a terrific sound catalog.

5. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Jarod, if you will drop me a PM, I may be able to help you. :)

-- Mike

6. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Try the "Generations" soundtrack - there are a ton of great sound effects on that CD!

7. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Just hum and whistle at the same time...
    :guffaw:

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The sound of the Malevolence in the Clone wars cartoon should have been used for the Vengeance.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

There are some on the Star Trek Generations soundtrack album. Alternatively, if you don't have it/don't want to spend the money, you can find several to choose from over at TrekCore's sound effects page.