Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The 'light' of GL's diminishing potential has been unspooling over the last 50+ hrs.
    After the Thur midnights did $100K better than Thor the hope was that GL might just pan out decent. Then the Fri estimates hit and it was less than XM:FC, but no panic just yet. Saturday tracking of Twitter showed a fairly high number of negative comments, then early this morning, early, the Sat estimates hit and showed the large drop. Now midday full estimates have been revised from $60m --> $55m ---> $52.7m

I will not be shocked if once Monday afternoon hits the weekend actuals indicate something like $51.8m

I knew it was mediocre and the comic fan in me is disappointed by this but not surprised. The movie just never recovered from the poor late November rushed trailer. ComicCon's reaction had nothing to this, the masses saw that November trailer and the marketing team was behind the 8-ball.

Lower attendance not only than THOR & X-Men:FC, which this summer sold nearly identical tickets but less than Daredevil and Ghost Rider. Which aside from being 5 yrs ago were late winter movies, not summer.

There is no good spin to this except that for the next 5 days the marketing team better push "Weekends #1 movie" hard.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah - the revenue figures are better because of higher 3d ticket prices - the attendance figures don't look good.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I winder how many folks might be like me. I'm not interested in paying extra to see this in 3D. I'd rather see it in 2D. And since there is no 2d showing in my area I'll have to wait for dvd release.

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That seems to be cutting into box office as it appears that the novelty of 3D has worn off and people are being a lot more selective about what they will pay the extra brass for (I was reading an article about it earlier, I'll see if I can dig it out...)

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

there's 2D ion my area, I'll probably see a matinee this week.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"Cars 2" will eat at it

"Transformers 3" will finish it off

In two weeks "Green Lantern" will probably be making 10 to 15 million or less

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

As far as I could determine, Green Lantern was upconverted. It showed - the only thing that stuck out as truly 3D were
    Parallax in the warehouse
    and
    Hal and Tomar's flight on Oa
    . I also saw Thor in 3D - I thought it's 3D was weak, but Green Lantern's was far weaker. Hollywood needs to make a decision with each film: film it in 3D or don't do 3D at all. No more half-assing (read: converting) it.

I think Blake Lively was miscast - I don't know, something about the way she played it, I didn't buy, at least in the first half of the film. I hope there's a sequel film - but they may need to pull a The Dark Knight and recast the role of Carol. The film also should have made some references to the DC universe (something like, "It was also easier for Ferris to win the contract now that Wayne Enterprises is out of the defense business," or "Maybe we should we working with Luthorcorp" - similar to the Metropolis reference in Batman Forever) - even if they won't be in the same "universe." I also would have loved to see references to the other human Lanterns (Stewart, Gardner, Rayner and Scott).

Regaring the secret identity issue:
    That being said, I loved the way they pulled a Smallville with the "secret identity" situation. Lois is a smart woman; the glasses thing just don't make sense that she wouldn't see through it. The same with the very smart Carol regarding Hal's Mardi Gras mask.

I wish we had more time spent with some of the other GLs, other than Kilowag and Tomar-Re. Maybe in the sequels. I've also imagined Hal as slightly older and more mature, at least from all the other incarnations that I've seen. But that would come with time (and, again, sequels). And, I would have focused on Hammond with this story and let the Parallax thing be an impending threat that would arrive a film or two down the road.

Peter Sarsgaard was great in this movie.

Overall, despite my problems with the film, I enjoyed it. I will probably see it again at some point. It had more highs than lows. Maybe next time, less cooks (or writers) in the kitchen.

8. Professor Zoom

I hate upconverted. Alice in Wonderland's 3D was shit, big waste of money. Didn't help the movie sucked too.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.
    The tracking of 3-D films with % of gross coming from 3-D has been on a downward decline for the last 9+months since Alice in Wonderland in 2010.

The peak being Avatar where some 80% of its gross came from 3-D showings. A few months later Alice was in the mid 70%...then the glut of 3-D over the past 2010 year. It's continued to slide. Green Hornet was something in the upper 50%, Thor about in the mid-50%.

Green Lantern's estimated $52.7m take had only 45% of it's gross from 3-D showings(3rd paragraph). People either opting out for 2-D or staying home if it's not an available option. So much so that analysis indicates Disney likely lost money by having too many 3-D showings cause 2-D showings of POTC:4 sold out when 3-D options in the same theater weren't at capacity.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I find it interesting that The Green Lanterns think that lame little mask is so great at "protecting identity" when it's just a lame eye-covering mask.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to imagine it was the crappy upconverted 3D (which was probably very dark and muddled) that made the critics hate it as much as they did. Because at the very worst, the 2D version I saw should have gotten like a 40-50% score.

25% just doesn't make any sense to me.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, not impressed with this at all. It's basically generic superhero origin stuff. We start with a guy living his normal life. He's a bit of an asshole but really a good intentioned guy with his heart in the right place despite his attitude and frequently screwing up. Then one day while minding his own business, he becomes a superhero and ends up saving the world as his trial by fire. Total and complete yawn.

3-D sucks, and I hate that my theatre is basically insisting we see movies that way by making it impossible to see 2-D showings. 3-D is hardly utilized, so I'm basically wearing glasses that makes my eyes hurt, give the picture a darker tint and oh yeah, makes the movie cost $17.00 to see. Really, Avatar was the only movie which was properly suited to 3-D and actually justified the higher price, even if it did suck.

13. Professor Zoom

Maybe the critics were also responding to the craptastic story. It doesn't matter if it's in 3 or 2D... Alice blows. And not in the good way.

14. Professor Zoom

woah. That sounds totally familiar.

http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=5046286&postcount=140

;)

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a bad story, just small and simple.

They could have squeezed every thing they had into 20 minutes and continued the story to a larger conclusion.

But it's nice to see that the Smoke Monster is still getting work post Lost.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Oops sorry, should have specified I was talking about GL there.

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Ugh. These official review threads are so difficult to read nowadays. Too much box office speculation, not enough examination of the creative merits of the movie.

I pretty much agree there. Thankfully, most of the big theaters here in Tempe, AZ give the option of 3-D or 2-D. All things being equal, I pick 2-D every time (with the exceptions of Avatar & Tron Legacy, both of which had the otherworldly feel greatly enhanced by the 3-D). But most of the time when I see 3-D, it's only because the 3-D showing was at a more convenient time.

Yeah. That seemed like such a forced set up and Sinestro seemed like a much smarter guy than someone who would fall for something that totally had "BAD IDEA" written on it in big bold letters.

Overall, I thought the movie was decent but nothing special. This was my first real exposure to the Green Lantern (other than Justice League: The New Frontier). I think his powers are pretty cool but the movie itself is pretty anemic. I found myself really wishing that I was watching Reynolds play the Green Lantern in a Justice League movie. I can put up with fun-but-unremarkable Marvel movies like Iron Man 2 & Thor because I know they have a plan, building up to the massive Avengers movie next summer. Since DC doesn't currently have such a plan, I'm much less patient.

Reynolds was his decent, motor-mouthed self but Hal Jordan can't hold a candle to Tony Stark in the lovable asshole department. Still, Reynolds has the chance to redeem himself if he still gets to make that Deadpool movie they were talking about a couple years ago.

Blake Lively was surprisingly charismatic considering her CW pedigree. Too bad most of the other supporting characters (particularly the Earthly ones) don't make much of an impression.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just read the Secret Origin comic today. There was a lot more of that in the movie than I remembered. I forgot Hector Hammond was it (but briefly, not as the main villain). I still wish they did that story instead, only if Atrocious had his Red Lantern powers. The best thing about it is the bonding of Hal and Sinestro.

19. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't seen this one, and don't intend to in the theater, rental tops, but I do want to share what put me off of seeing this one, as I like the comic book.

Too much effing CGI. After the trailer, I get this Ang Lee Hulk vibe most definitely. Yes, you are going to need graphics to adapt this material, but did everything remotely possible have to be cg? I learned my lesson with the whole gungan versus droids battle in The Phantom Menace.

I'll wait for dvd. If something stinks in 3D, seeing it on video won't much matter. :)

20. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no doubt that gl will make it's money back and more. I plan to see it tomarrow after work. now the real question is do you have to stay to the end of the credits?