Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Christopher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Cho's character was stroking her face and telling her he wanted to take care of her. He was mega-creepy there, given that he's just pistol-whipped her and was tying her up in the back seat of his cruiser while he did it.

Umm... pistol-whipped a fellow officer, tied her up in the back seat of his cruiser, aided and abetted a suspect in multiple homicides. It couldn't have been much clearer.

Evidently Phillip Iscove. He conceived of the series initially, and since the other three credited co-creators (Kurtzman, Orci, and Wiseman) are all prominent, busy people, I figure Iscove is the point man on this show.

Shows that are treated badly by their networks are unlikely to last anywhere near four years. Four years is a very respectable run for any network show, especially a genre show.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It sounds like they're shooting for a seven-year run, considering that's when "The End" is supposed to happen in this world. Ambitious...hope they can make it and keep it interesting.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

It wasn't bad but nothing about it really interests me. If it does turn into something I might check back, but otherwise, I'm out. And yes, the jump-cut demon was creepy and I was surprised that they only had John Cho for one episode and Clancy Brown for five minutes.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I wasn't planning on watching this show but I sat down to watch it with my wife last night and to my surprise I really liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing how this show plays out.

5. Christopher

I suspect that Brown may have a recurring voice role, given the importance of his recorded notes in cluing Abby into the conspiracy. Brown has been a prolific voice artist in animation since the '90s, so I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him in for what will mainly be a voice role.

Plus there could be flashbacks. And since it's a supernatural show, he could come back in other ways too.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, you'd be wrong on that front. :) I actually found the answer to my own query after I posted my question initially courtesy of an interview that Orci, Kurtzman, and Wiseman did with Collider. The man running the ship for the series is actually former Studio 66 on the Sunset Strip showrunner Mark Goffman.

As for Orci, Kurtzman, and Wiseman and their level of involvement, they said in the aforementioned interview that they've been personally involved with the show since it started and, thanks to the strength of Goffman and the other writers they've surrounded him with, they fully intend to continue to be personally involved with the show - despite their very busy schedules - for as long as it's on the air.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  7. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the first things I said to my husband when no one had heard of Ichabod Crane.

That story is an American legend--how many do we have? That, Johnny Appleseed, Paul Bunyan...what else?

The whole "two covens infiltrating...." We won't initially know if a character is good, bad, or unrelated to the covens. Clancy Broen seemed to be unrelated, but investigating. Orlando Jones?

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I meant why they arrested Crane.

9. Savage Dragon

Yes, it was a little weird that he was arrested for walking in front of a police car. However, when you take a look at who arrested him it becomes clear why he was arrested.

10. Christopher

^Wow, a double post with another post in between. You don't see that very often. I wonder how that happened.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

12. Savage Dragon

But it was Cho's character who picked him up so there was probably an ulterior motive to it.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

There is talk going around that the female cop said "be on the look out for a guy wearing old style clothing" and that the scene had to be cut for time.

14. Christopher

^That was my suspicion. Seems a rather important thing to cut, though. I'm sure they could've picked up a few stray seconds elsewhere.

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I laughed when I saw that Clancy Brown got decapitated! There can be only one!

Oddly enough, Death reminded of the Terminator when he was moving/using the machine gun!

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I was thinking about the Washington Irving/"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" problem (in other words, their apparent non-existence in-universe) this morning.

I don't think, as yet, that we can rule out the non-existence of Irving or his story. Okay, yes, the interrogation of Crane is the obvious point where it should come up -- "Ichabod Crane, like in the story?" -- but that's not a fatal problem because it's just as likely that Crane's eventual partner finds the whole Headless Horsemen thing absurd and difficult to believe because she (and everyone) knows the story. After all, if someone's going to run around and pretend to be the Headless Horseman, then Sleepy Hollow would be the place to do it, and if had beheaded someone pretending to be the Headless Horseman, then it would make sense to claim to be Ichabod Crane because that's obviously absurd and clearly a sign of mental illness.

If the story does exist in-universe, then what we've seen thus far in the series (admittedly, just one episode) is the truth behind the story that Irving wrote. Perhaps he had heard bits and pieces of the tale and filled in the blanks because he thought it was an interesting tale. Or perhaps someone, like the priest (who I thought was Christopher Plummer at first) or Katrina, fed Irving the story in a garbled way to cover the truth of what had happened in Sleepy Hollow in the 1770s, perhaps to throw the evil coven off the scent of the truth, adding another layer of secret history to the series.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

No, that doesn't quite track. If the story was known in universe somebody would have made a comment. All we got as reactions were lack of recognition and disbelief.

18. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The town's name is Sleepy Hollow, Orlando Jones' character is named Irving, and no one recognizes Ichabod's name as being the same as a fictional character. I think we can safely say that this show exists within a Washington Irving-less universe.

The show itself was a lot of fun. I enjoyed all the nods to Irving's work, the story held my interest and the two leads were pretty likable. Hope they continue to build on their strong start.

I knew I was hooked as soon as the female cop popped open that hidden file drawer. This is definitely my kind of show.

19. Christopher

Right -- just as Sherlock and Elementary take place in universes where there was no Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (or perhaps ones where he's known only for creating Professor Challenger and the Lost World). And just as all the Marvel movies take place in a universe where Stan Lee is just some old guy making brief cameos rather than the man who co-created the Marvel Universe in the 1960s.

Come to think of it...

I submit that it's actually a mashup of three Irving characters, the third being George Washington. A great deal of our cultural mythology about Washington, like the cherry tree incident, was invented by Irving as part of his effort to give the youthful United States a richer foundational mythology like older European countries had. (He also invented a lot of the mythology about Columbus, like the fiction that he sailed to prove the world was round, something that educated people had in fact already known for millennia.)

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Or the way that the THE WALKING DEAD takes place in a world where the "zombie apocalypse" is not part of pop culture . . . and nobody uses the word "zombie." Perhaps that universe's George Romero made romantic comedies instead?

I'm going to guess that NBC's new DRACULA series doesn't reference Bram Stoker or Bela Lugosi either. :)