Ringworld and Childhood's End mini-series coming to Syfy

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Those were used pretty sparingly, though.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Network budgets are often smaller than cable.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Typically premium cable has the highest budgets, then network, then basic cable, although there are a few exceptions here and there that buck that pattern.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Smaller episode counts for premium/basic cable help, too.

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

*cough* do Rendezvous with Rama instead *cough*

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

While not the same I'm amazed how much CG is used without anyone ever really noticing.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLVXWVCekJk[/yt]

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

The 24 guys were smart enough to 1) use models and photographic plates where possible and 2.) (and far more importantly) shoot their actors outside in natural daylight for the greenscreen stuff, rather than indoors with studio lighting like Once Upon a Time does. It's really hard to fake natural light and that wrecks so many of Once's shots.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Why not all three?

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Dune was OK but dull. Children of Dune was actually rather good.

Have to admit, while I've seen both live adaptations of Riverworld I've yet to read the book they're based on, so I can't say how well or poorly they treat the source material. Having said that, I'm at a loss as to why people felt the need to tackle this one twice. Doesn't seem that interesting at all. Is there some major subtext from the books that they both miss? I just don't get it.

As for Ringworld & Childhood's End....given SyFy's track record these last five plus years, I can't say I'm holding out much hope. Mind you, while the concept for the Ringworld itself is of course hard sci-fi, as a story it's pretty standard adventure fair. So there's not much to get wrong in terms of content. Plenty in terms of tone, casting and direction of course. Personally, I anticipate dullness.

Childhood's End is a totally different animal. I'm not sure how they'll approach it--much less how they'll get a way with having millions of naked children dancing around. Again, the tone of the thing is key.

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer an adaptation of The City and the Stars to Childhood's End -- if only because I think the notion of a species achieving transcendence to godhead by evolution is basically a fantasy concept.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think there's a huge difference between evolution whether it's biological or artificial, and the lofty potential that we can gauge based on past change leading to accelerated change and what people like to frame in theological references, and wholly inadequate metaphors. In other words, such stuff might be possible, even likely but our definitions fail us.

RAMA

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Let's hope we can get to a level where no bodies are needed.

13. atlantalliance

atlantalliance Lieutenant Red Shirt

Anyone see Childhood's End series yet?

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw most of it. I missed the last hour or so of the last episode and haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I thought what I saw was pretty good.

15. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

You think you're something that's somehow just inhabiting a body? I doubt it.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The first part was good, but I think they put in waaaaaay too much padding in parts two and three. So many plot lines that just linger and basically dead-end. I think overall the story would have been better served had it been in two 1.5hr parts instead of three, or three parts of an hour each.

They kind of bungled the ending a bit too. Unless I missed it, they forgot to mention the reason why the image of the Overlords was already very familiar before they even showed up and I don't think there was any explanation as to why children evolving into the Cosmic Overmind = planet go boom. For those who haven't read the book, it must have seemed pretty nonsensical towards the end.

On the positive side, the Overlords were well realised and Charles Dance was his usual magnificent self. Most of the rest of the also cast seemed to do well, even though some parts felt underdeveloped and others rather superfluous.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  17. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the Childhood's End miniseries for the most part. I liked that SyFy put some money in the budget. Charles Dance was great.

However there were issues with pacing. It moved too slow. I also think they didn't really do enough with Colm Meaney and Julian McMahon. I also think they spent too much time on Mike Vogel's farmer character. I think he wasn't needed after the confrontation with the devout religious woman in part two. I wish more time had been spent with Milo.

18. jclark14

jclark14 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree about Charles Dance - his characterization was wonderful and that's about it for kudos.
    I did not care a whit about any of the other characters - a BIG failing of the writing [imho].
    I agree about the pacing...
    Reminded me of the mess that was Prometheus...

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It was a real slog to get through all six hours and I ended up fast forwarding here and there. I loved the alien design and Charles Dance but that was about it.

20. Arrrrgggh

Arrrrgggh Captain Captain

I was exactly the same way. Though I found the entire premise unlikely, and the reveal for why they were there was absolutely horrifying. Not sure how people see it as "evolution" so much as "the Borg looking for a snack."

And was there some particular reason they had to destroy the planet? Seems counterproductive given their feeding regimen. It's like not throwing back the little fish when you're a fisherman.