The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If the 6" Sandtrooper is anything like the most recent Vintage Collection figure then we're in for a major treat. Imagine that level of deco and detail on a 6" figure, and with a blaster that also has a folding stock!

I wonder if it would have a removable helmet with a Temuera Morrison clone head underneath or if they'll just have a non-removable one so some fans don't complain about mixing Prequel Clone lore with classic OT characters.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

No removable helmets on Stormtroopers, please. By that point, the clones were mostly phased out, anyways. Most Stormtroopers were recruits by the time of the OT.

3. cooleddie74

Not like that's stopped Hasbro before, but yeah. By the twentieth year of the Empire's reign most of the Jango clones had been phased out of duty or died. I personally would prefer that they not have removable helmets or - if they do - they have different heads underneath to reflect the presence of newer clones and civilian recruits in the Imperial military.

4. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh gees... I can't tell you how much I am want those 6" Star Wars figures. I think I just had a stroke or something.

(And I find it ironic that my first post in like two years is about toys.)

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

oh damn. looks like i'm gonna have to get back into collecting Star Wars toys.

6. cooleddie74

[Pacino] Every time you think you're out, they pull you back in.... [/Pacino]

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

they really do. i haven't bought any new Star Wars toys since 08. picked up a few used figures at flea markets and such though.

8. cooleddie74

As long as you don't have to pick up one of everything since 2008 you'll be okay. The Vintage Collection in retro '70s and '80s packaging, for example, has had no fewer than about 125 carded action figures since late 2010.

My recommendation: start new from this point forward. ;)

9. cooleddie74

The buzz may be dying down here but online the reactions are a mix of thankful and excited and on the flip side mortified that a new line that costs $19.99 has been started. There's a lot of skepticism and resistance to 6” Star Wars product due to how unevenly and even ineptly Hasbro has handled collectibles of this scale in the past.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never understood this. I'm glad the feature is there for those who want it and for those who don't.... just keep the helmet on?

11. cooleddie74

I'm okay with them, too....I just think a lot of collectors have gotten tired of them over the last five or six years given how many removable helmet troopers have been made.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think every trooper should have a removable helmet. Every Boba Fett too (*gasp!*)

13. cooleddie74

The 3.75” Boba and Jango Fetts with removable helmets are usually pretty solid and even great figures, that's for sure.

14. OdoWanKenobi

My objection to the removable helmet is one of aesthetic. Often times the helmet can create a bobblehead look when it's on (or the flipside where the unmasked head is a pin head.) Sometimes as well, the material used is a softer one, and thus some sculpting detail is lost.

15. cooleddie74

And, of course, many of the Vintage Collection Clone and Stormie helmets would turn yellow or green thanks to the inferior plastic being used in earlier production runs of many of those figures. I've seen otherwise magnificent, excellent Stormtroopers on classic Kenner cardbacks almost completely ruined by helmets that looked like Lemonhead candies.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Interesting thing about Stormtrooper helmets.

As a kid, I got the original Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper disguise with the removeable helmet back when it was initially released (Yay!).
    http://www.toyarchive.com/STAForSale/NEW2001+/StarWars/Vintage/Loose/LukeStormtrooper1a.jpg

Unfortunately, my grandma cleaned my room while I was at school and thew away a bag I had containing all the weapons of every Star Wars figure I had at the time, including the helmet of the aforementioned Luke in Stormtrooper disguise (Nooooo!)

For several years, Luke had no helmet. I was able to gradually replace most of the weapons from new figures I got over time (unfortunately,I had to use colored toothpicks for lightsabers though, but I digress), but in the pre-eBay years, replacing Luke's helmet was essentially impossible for me.

As luck would have it, eventually Kenner (or was it Hasbro?) released a series of accessory kits for various figures, including one for Stormtroopers that featured spare helmets, blaster rifles, and holsters. Suffice it to say, I made sure my previously poor Stormtrooper Luke was finally stylin' in full gear.
    :)

17. cooleddie74

Those accessory kits and sets were awesome. I rarely had any use for any of the helmets, weapons or gear but it was nice to have them on-hand just in case. You never knew if you'd drop a helmet, blaster or force pike into the shag carpet or down a hole and they'd be gone.

18. OdoWanKenobi

I posted this in the desk top thread, but I feel it's relevant here, too. The current state of my desk:
    [​IMG]

So much awesomeness on display.

19. cooleddie74

You got that right. Lovin' the Bishoujou Jaina Solo.

Derpy doesn't hurt, either. :)

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am loving the Movie Masters MOS pics that were posted in the "Superman" film thread. The Superman figure looks ten times better than "The Dark Knight Rises" Batman which I ultimately passed on even though I was going to originally pick it up. Zod looks great even though he doesn't have his goatee...so does Jor-El.