iOS 6 released

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Candlelight, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Just installed it. What a nightmare.

Avoid iTunes like the plague and just do it through the phone.

Seems ok so far. Loving the fact you don't have to enter your Apple ID password when you're just doing free updates/installs.

2. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Just updating my iPad. I'm not a huge iOS fan but I don't like falling behind.

3. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I had problems with iTunes as well, though not related to the iOS update. It kept freezing on me. When it froze in the middle of a sync, I decided there was no way in heck I was going to trust it with my iPod's update.

4. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it possible that you need to upgrade your iTunes to the latest version first? I've been using iTunes to update my iGadgets, and I haven't had any problems... yet. However, I upgraded iTunes to the latest version before I started running iOS upgrades.

5. Chris3123

Checked out the new AppStore layout. The changes seem mostly cosmetic, though I did notice that when you download an app, you are no longer forced to exit the app store. :techman:

Yes. Only the latest version of iTunes supports iOS 6.

ETA: Though for me the latest version of iTunes keeps crashing. Since Candlelight has also expressed trouble with it, it's likely not just me, so it's probably best to update your device wirelessly.

6. Candlelight

I could download the installer fine but when I went to upgrade my phone it kept saying I had insufficient room (error 3014). I ended up clearing virtually every single song and app off my phone that I could, giving me a clean 4GB (according to iTunes) and that still wasn't enough...

Upgrading wirelessly didn't have any issues.

7. Candlelight

Been going fine for 12 hours.
    - Maps is not as good as Google's version. While I hardly ever used the original it was good to have street view there. Rumours of Google making a stand alone app for iOS better have an alternative for Flash as it won't run on iOS otherwise...
    - Battery seems to discharge a little faster. Not worried, I usually charge it at the end of every night.
    - No need to sign in for every update from the App Store. Thumbs up there.
    - Do Not Disturb: OK I guess. Doubt I'd use it much.
    - Shared Photo Stream: Disabled.
    - Ability to put core iOS apps into a folder: Brilliant! I barely used half of them.

Seems good to keep. Got 10.7.5 today as well. Other than knackering Gatekeeper out of the box I can't see anything majorly different to 10.7.4.

8. StolenThunder

Surprise! No YouTube app. Bums!

Shall hunt for an alternative. Squrl?

9. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The lack of transit directions is a real bummer, but 'The Transit App' in the App Store is a decent substitute for the old iOS 5 Google functionality. All-in-all, my iPhone 4 runs about the same on iOS 6 as it did on iOS 5. I hope the Passbook stuff starts taking off. I could see that being a huge benefit.

10. Candlelight

YouTube released a replacement app a couple of weeks ago. IMO it's better than the apple version.

11. StolenThunder

Only for iPhone, unfortunately - not for iPad.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ But they are working on a native iPad version. Trust me, they won't let this go unanswered for long.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Google Maps doesn't run on Flash, be it on desktop or mobile. Google has even deprecated its Flash API and hasn't issued new keys for more than a year. The Android Google Maps application runs on Java.

14. Chris3123

:confused: That's not a new feature. I've always been able to put core apps in folders on my iPod. Well, except for Newsstand, for some reason.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Newsstand is in itself a folder, so that's why you can't put it into another folder.

16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Well, it would, since Android basically is Java. Native ARM apps are possible with appropriate Java wrappers but there's usually not much point to doing that.

17. Chris3123

Ah, that makes sense.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

^ There used to be a trick by which you could get Newsstand to go into a folder (basically, you stack two other icons on top of each other so as to create a folder, then RIGHT as the new folder is being created, drag Newsstand into it) but Apple appears to have quashed this 'feature'.

19. Candlelight

I could never do it in iOS 5. Odd.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Has anyone had their iPhones suddenly unable to connect to the cellular data network after updating to iOS 6? My phone (iPhone 4S) has that problem, and so does my dad's (he just got an iPhone 5, which came with iOS 6 preinstalled). I've heard talk about this on the Apple discussions forum as well.

Not a really pressing issue, since I almost never use cellular data anyway - I stick to WiFi to avoid getting hit with overage fees - but it is annoying.