Can Destiny be filmed?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Silversmok3, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Silversmok3

Silversmok3 Commander Red Shirt

After seeing Watchmen yesterday, its a question that begs asking-could Destiny be made into a good movie or TV mini-series, given real-world budgets and directors?

Id vote a nay, simply because many concepts and ideas about Trek, and how the characters react to the challenges within the trilogy require some understanding of how the Trek universe works-and whoever took on the project would have to develop and explain complicated characters to a new audience in only two hours, AND integrate that with the trilogys plotlines too.

Your thoughts?

2. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Direct to DVD then, targeted at the hardcore uberfans. Question is... is there enough of us out there to justify the investment?

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'd buy 5 copies myself:techman:. I'd spread it around to anyone I knew who was into the TNG-era treks. An animated mini-series would be absolutely amazing!

4. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Animation. Great idea. That'll knock the costs way down.

5. Silversmok3

Silversmok3 Commander Red Shirt

Will it? The animators would have fun designing different areas within Destiny-theres so many landscapes/planets/battlefields to draw that they'd probably botch it, or do a good job , followed by the studio shutting down from burnout. :rommie:

6. Paris

It'll knock the cost down considerably. Can you imagine what it would cost to actually film that Trilogy? $300 million-$400 million? Who knows...

7. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The actors' salaries alone would make this thing nearly impossible to do. Nevermind the rest of the production budget.

But it would be sweet to see on the screen.

8. Paris

If it's just voice work, then the salaries won't be as big a problem. Frakes, Sirtis, and Dorn were all part of the Gargoyles cast while Patrick Stewart does voice work on American Dad. They probably don't get the same kind of scratch for animation as they do for live action.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

An animated version would be cool.

10. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone give me 150 million and I'll...

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I got all three books on Saturday, on the last chapter of book 1 right now and I've been thinking about it myself, animation would be the best way to go about it. Salaries, CGI, building so many sets, theres no chance of this ever being live action. but I would love to see some form of it onscreen.

12. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure how well the climax of Destiny would translate to a visual medium, though - how do you turn this moment of Hernandez and the Caeliar digging into the consciousness of the Borg and healing, then taking them into the gestalt of their own free will into a moment that's displayed on a screen and still conveying these thoughts?

13. justcorbly

justcorbly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Sure, it could be filmed. I'd love it. But, you're right, though, that it presumes a fair amount of familiarity with the Trek ethos, not the least of which is why is everyone so frightened by the Borg.

That's why books are better than movies.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It could be done as part of the Titan animated series we've been talking about over in the Titan: The TV series thread.

15. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you would need a miniseries. Especially since a good chunk of the novels are the backstory about the Caeliar civilization lost in time with humans onboard.

16. Paris

A five or six episode arc of the porposed "Titan" series guest starring Picard and the Enterprise as well as Ezri and the Aventine. This would be awesome:techman:. Somebody get on this already!!

17. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

Oh yes. The dreams one can have ...

Let's face it, guys. Another TNG-era motion pictures isn't gonna happen - preTOS is on the move right now. And do we really wanna see a cheap produced direct-to-DVD for that kind of huge story? Animation would be a mixed bag. Get the story but not the (real) actors.

*sighing*

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why do you think that? TAS got the real actors, except for Koenig. And plenty of Trek actors have voice-acting experience. Frakes and Sirtis, in particular, were regulars on Gargoyles. Stewart, Dorn, and Burton have done voice acting as well, particularly Dorn, who's probably done more animated characters in his career than live-action characters.

19. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

So, isn't anyone happy simply to have books?

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Obviously not.