I just had a revelation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Exotic due to her features. Of course, even a Cockney flower girl is exotic to me, since the only foreign country I've been to is Canada.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Diet America?

I'm familiar with the place.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ugh I had a long romantic dream this morning about me and the Prime Minister of Australia who I loathe, it was so vivid that I was half awake and thinking that he really was quite a good looking fellow and it was nice he was so jolly and personable when drunk and then I was fully awake and deeply embarrassed. There were also fighter jets the size of 747's in this dream that were landing on the road in front of me inches from a petrol station to show off their flying prowess. It was as all very disturbing and is getting more disturbing.

Anyway no Marina is not exotic, she doesn't even rate "alien". But of course that's Star Trek.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I agree the idea of Star Trek's moneyless economy is that people are working for personal pride and not personal sustenance.

If you tried to apply this in real life there'd have to be some mechanism to replace the effect of competition. If video game companies weren't trying to beat each other we'd all still be playing NES, and that's if we even had our houses wired for electricity without electric companies competing to do so.

You'd have to have some system, at the very least, that rewards extraordinary effort and talent rather than just compensating basic competence. Otherwise people's incentives are to give the minimum necessary to retain your privileges, not to innovate or excel. The lack of said system is the main reason communism fails.

5. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

It could have been worse.

You could have been dreaming about the Mayor of Toronto, Canada. ;)

https://news.yahoo.com/toronto-mayor-takes-leave-heads-rehab-center-192214920.html

http://global.christianpost.com/new...iend-used-the-n-word-says-drug-dealer-119008/

6. Guy Gardener

TNG Masterpiece Society.

A planet of Khanian Supermen (Augements.), who escaped Earth centuries ago, are facing a solar flare that's going to destroy their planet and they're just not quite smart enough to stop it.

Cue Picard's Enterprise.

"Excuse me, be we are supermen. How come your Starship is 300 hundred years ahead of anything we could build?"

:)

The flaw I found in Masterpiece Society is that we didn't see any one throwing pianos around. You know, inhuman feats of strength which they thought was normal.

(Humans didn't invent shit. That's the disgusting thing about Enterprise. 4 years of that shit, and then the Vulcans finally hand over their techmannuals, making mankinds acomplishments moot. Once Man was allowed to build ships at a Vulcan level, they junked Enterprise NX-01 because it was a piece of crap.)

My guess is that only %1 of the hundreds of trillions of Federation Citizens need to work to keep all their plates spinning. These are crazy people and they have an avenue to release their crazy.

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zephram Cochrane, a human, invented the warp drive.

No, actually, thinking about it, you're right Guy, that's a complete lie too. Because he didn't invent the warp drive: the Vulcans must have had one already. Duh.

8. Guy Gardener

Inventing Warp drive is an intelligence test that all space faring cultures must pass before they are welcomed onto the Galactic stage... Or more honestly, it's the point from after which their idiocy and barbarism can no longer be ignored or confined to their home system.

You don't remember Archer constantly bitching about how the Vulcans had had Warp 8 ships since they came to Earth a hundred years earlier and that the Vulcans were utter assholes for denying his father their magic warp 8 secrets as he went insane from envy( No seriously. Mental illness, and bigoted rants. It's all there.), when his magnificent Enterprise was only a warp 5 vessel on paper, and could barely make warp 4 on a good day?

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Maybe, they can build a race of robots to blast any races fool enough to bring violence into space. The Borg could be the ultimate form of that, really. Once advanced enough to be worthy of notice they are assimilated before they can screw anything up.

10. Guy Gardener

Klaatu barrada nikto?

11. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Someone could kill Janeway and see if Janeway Barada Nikto works on Seven? Even that command has its limits. If the medical systems couldn't revive Klatuu, Gort would have continued to wipe out the planet. General Order 24 is a bitch like that. The nanoprobes could revive someone within 72 hours, so the command has 3 days leeway. If it works at all.