a remake of 1970 "Colossus: The Forbin Project." W/ Will Smith

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Mar 16, 2013.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

a remake of 1970 "Colossus: The Forbin Project."

The 1970 film
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/men-black-writer-rework-will-429115

This has The Terminator type of corporate evil going on (Cyberdyne Systems) and self-aware sentient A.I. Stuff.
    I haven't seen the 1970 film but i would see this.
    The while idea of taking over the world is so juvenile and Austin Powers' archnemesis Dr. Evil's plans. Also the original 1980s animated series The Transformers's antagonist Megatron always wanting to take over the universe.

2. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

You should watch the original movie. The idea of a computer taking over seemed plausible.

3. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved the original movie but I am afraid that a remake will be too boring for today's market. I have the feeling that they will ruin it with a bunch of action scenes and unrealistic "stunts." God forbid they make a movie where you will have to think and consider the story instead of just watching a bunch of action.

Boy I sound like an old man, lol

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They will probably also ignore that Colossus could probably be taken down with a simple computer virus...

That being said: The remake should have a cameo by Eric Braeden, as the President. :techman:

5. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The original is your typical fantastic 70's unconventionally ending (by today's standards) movie.

The new POS will probably have Smith blow himself and the computer up.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Without the background of a ongoing cold war with a rival superpower, could a Colossus be set in modern times?

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ North Korea? China?

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the original, but I am not optimistic I'll like a remake. I, Robot was total crap, for instance.

The closing scene in the original Colossus film, with the vocoder—or whatever they used—droning on and on, and everyone unable to do anything, is among my favorite SF movie scenes. It was pretty creepy.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

:rofl: :lol: :lol: :rofl:

Please tell me you're not serious

Don't we buy a lot of their stuff, plus it wouldn't be China as they might want to play the movie in Chinese theaters to get a piece of that considerably large pie.

10. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't have to be a rival superpower. Just two computers linking and forming one massive, "all knowing" supercomputer would be enough to set things in motion. Especially with the way computer technology is today as compared with the 70s. The supercomputer could easily hack and enslave all the other computer systems in the world, thus taking control of very nuke regardless of country of origin.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Oh geez, just what we need, more stories that are one side to the story to make us all feel better and comfortable in our complacency...ho hum.

RAMA

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

ICBMs still exist and can be re-targeted anywhere. More countries actually have them now than when the movie was made. China is a major super power rival with a greater likelihood of overtaking the US economically and numerically with arms than the USSR ever did because they have embraced many capitalist ideas, and North Korea is a military rival.

RAMA

13. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Just rewatched the original on Youtube and dont look forward to a remake. I am sure that Colossus will talk from the get go and have lots of robot minions to be shot and destroyed.

14. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

You actually don't have to fundamentally change anything. The US is even more dependent on automated defense systems now than it was back in the 70s. With UAVs regularly in the news now, the idea that the US would construct an autonomous computer system to manage it all is not that far fetched.

You could even keep the Russians as the potential rival. The Cold War my officially be over the but the Russians are actually MORE paranoid now than they were at the height of the Cold War. They are freaking out about the US building an ABM system that does not work and that they could easily overwhelm. So its not beyond the realm of possibility that they might build a rival computer system if they even thought that the US might build one. Indeed you could even make it a three/four way race between the US, Russia, China and the EU.

15. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

jesus god no. :borg:

And why wasn't I consulted?! :lol:

16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Eric Braeden's old. I'm surprised he still stands upright on The Young and The Restless.

17. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.