USS Kelvin scene Mistake?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ner0, May 17, 2009.

1. Ner0

Ner0 Ensign Newbie

Just saw the movie and thought it was great but I saw a mistake in the film I don't think has been pointed out yet. (If it has, I apologize). Not a *major* mistake but I thought it was funny...

Now, isn't the Kelvins shuttlebay on the top of the ship?... ABOVE the bridge... not below? So why when we see Captain Robau enter the turbolift to go there after putting Kirk in charge go DOWN instead of UP?

Im guessing just a goof?

2. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm, well spotted. Probably a goof.

I suppose he could have had to go down a bit, once the first turbolift sent him to the very top of the ship.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, we do also see him walking up stairs after he exits the turbolift. Maybe he had to go down in order to get to those stairs.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Cannon Violation

FLOP :alienblush:

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I thought this was gonna be about the registery being NCC-0514

6. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I noticed that too - but then I remembered that turbolift passages aren't usually straight line-to-line in ships.
    I don't see a problem with the turbolift passage going up through the pylon to the top of the secondary hull, then towards the rear, and finally down into the shuttle bay.

7. Ner0

Ner0 Ensign Newbie

Hyperspace05,

Yeah that actually makes sense.. they wouldn't show the whole turbolift journey on screen.. just the last part.

8. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didnĀ“t see no badge in Robau when he was sitting in the captain's chair. Am I right?

9. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

The bridge is a dome on top of the saucer, in order to get to the shuttle bay the turbo lift would have to go down a bit into the actual saucer, travel horizontally and then up to the cargo bay. :cardie:
    Come on people, are we really saying we don't know this? after how many years of watching trek?
    If a turbo lift went "up" from the bridge it would be getting jettisoned into space.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    A continuity goof, probably not knowing the final design and layout of the CGI Kelvin ship model. But nothing that can't be gotten around with a technical/turbolift explanation.

11. Ner0

Ner0 Ensign Newbie

Yeah, I know that... but the scene where he is going down he gets off the turbolift... which means he was going down at some point into the shuttlebay.. but Hyperspace05 made a good point. Im sure he went down from the bridge, then horizontal for a bit, up to the secondary hull and down at the end ending up in the shuttlebay... with just the last part of the journey being shown on-screen.

12. vice1986

vice1986 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

One that I noticed was when he gives the order to fire phasers, you hear the sound of photon torpedoes!

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Unless that's how 2233-era phasers sound. But didn't BOTH phasers and torpedoes fire when Robau gave the orders to shoot back?

14. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Well I would imagine cutting the turbolift journey to show him enter and exit the lift only whilst cutting out the middle part thankfully cuts out quite a few minutes of film time better spent showing more interesting things.

15. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

The phasers fires where more of pulses and not streams.

16. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

............................__________
    ........................../................|
    ........................./..................
    _______________/...................

My very crude sketch as how I think the turbo lifts work. They went up, they came down :).

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Captain Robau is a badass, and therefore he decides how the turbolift works on his ship.

18. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Well actually we saw 2 kinds, pulses and streams but do carry on. ;)

19. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nevermind when the scene in which the tactical officer reports that weapons are down is immediately followed by a shot of the Kelvin firing weapons :) Editors, come ON...

20. Odo's_Bucket

Odo's_Bucket Commander Red Shirt

I agree.