Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by James Bond, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to be upset, but I'm really not. The series had a lot of promise in the first season, but it has since squandered that promise repeatedly. Season four had an interesting idea for an arc, but it wasn't always executed properly and there is plenty else wrong with the series that it didn't bring it out of the darkness for me. I haven't seen season five yet. I'll pick it up on DVD, but I'm glad this age of Stargate is finally over.

Hopefully we get one Atlantis DVD movie, one more SG-1 DVD movie, and then it finally is allowed to rest for a while.

2. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

I wish i were running things. I can understand the need to cancel a show if the prices get too high, but if it were me I'd show more space based series and superhero stuff.

I don't mind horror flicks on The Sci-Fi show, as long as they're good oners like hellraiser, but it's called

SCI-FI, NOT HORROR DAMMIT!

Hell, even a little bit of Swords and Sorcery series could be good.

I wish I hand the money to buy the station.

But as far as Atlantis leaving the show, i was never impressed with it and watched it only on occaision. SG 1 was far superior to it, until they started D&Ding the series with Arthur and the weapon to stop the Ori.

I mean come on.

I WANT TO SEE SPACESHIPS FIGHTING EACH OTHER!

TIME TRAVEL STORIES!

SUPERHEROES!

SWORDS AND SORCERY!

The good stuff.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wondered why there were those wraith in the new Hellboy movie? I guess they were dropped ahead of time?

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. Kinda surprising and kinda not. I kinda have the same reaction I had with SG-1 ending. "That sucks, but still a good run." I think I'm more irritated that it'll end on a cliffhanger to be resolved in a movie.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Hopefully not a big cliffhanger. And hopefully not a movie like Ark of Truth, if it is a big one.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The show should end on the cliffhanger with the Wraith heading to Earth.

The movie should be them getting their asses kicked.

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt there will be a cliffhanger. I think that they have enough time to write a decent finale, maybe even an Atlantis D2DVD movie, before they run out of time.

What they should do for Universe is get people who've gotten bachelor degrees from film schools, supervised by more experienced people of course, familiarize them with Stargate canon, and let them create something different than what we've gotten in the past.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

5 seasons I just knew it. SG-1 had 5 seasons on Scifi and so will Atlantis

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I thought they already filmed the final episode? Isn't the whole point of this forthcoming TV/DVD movie the resolution of that plot point?

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still waiting fro the story about FULL DISCLOSURE... Where everyone finds out and the world changes.

Of course, if the wraith come to earth... Once people are told that they get a high 100 times more potent than heroin from shooting them up. The Mafia and the Triads will be farming Wraith like cattle inside of a month. Quite a reversal of fortune.

11. Samurai8472

Now well never get to see the alternate alien foes promised for season 6:( It seems that its become the norm

"We're cancelling the show........but you get dvd movies for closure,now shut up while we greenlight "Mansquito" the series"

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't want to be too much of an ass, but we did get five seasons of Atlantis and ten seasons of SG-1. That's a total of more than 300 episodes. Add to that two DVD movies (and now a third movie finishing up Atlantis, and possibly a fourth movie dealing with dangling SG-1 threads) and you have at least 310 episodes worth.

And as much as I'd like to make fun of Mansquito, it was just a TV movie. And any series as bad as that (Flash Gordon, Painkiller Jane) has been canceled after one season.

It's not like we haven't gotten our share here.

Besides, we'll probably get all that in a series of DVD movies with a bigger budget and (hopefully) none of the filler anyway.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Well, this is what happens when a show starts to suck.

Sorry Atlantis fans, I feel your pain.

14. Pendragon

Pendragon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm guessing that the powers that be behind this are related to the former FOX board of directors circa 2002... It's like the Firefly cancellation all over again. And I agree... isn't Sci Fi Channel supposed to be about sci-fi? Where's all this low budget horror crap coming from???

Oy... my head hurts now. No more Rodney McKay. This really sucks.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Quit the hyperbole. The show ran five seasons. Longer than Enterprise was on the air. And Rodney McKay will still be in an intended series of DVD movies.

16. Samurai8472

now we can have Rodney and Sheppard curse like sailors in the dvd movies ;)

The season finale is finished filming right? It probably ended in a cliche cliffhanger so that will probably be resolved in the dvd movie along with the Wraith threat

Like I said a few posts above i'm not surprised that it ended at 5 seasons. It's the same as SG-1's run on Scifi and Temis the vorta posted that article that said it's getting costly to run Vancouver shows

17. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Son of a bitch. :( While I don't see it as exactly an excellent show, it has still always been entertaining enough. 11 straight years of Stargate TV, and now no more. At least until SG:U begins, assuming it's still coming.

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I can understand that that might make Canadian shows more expensive but why does this specifically limit them to 5-year runs?

I figured the reason why Stargate SG-1 got cancelled when it did was because MGM had to keep upping the license fee to pay for Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge, & Michael Shanks to keep them interested. Around the end of Season 10, Shanks seemed to be making grumblings about leaving again anyway.

BTW, what's the status on that angels show that Judge & Shanks were working on.

They bought a significant interest but not a controlling interest. Since then, the other owners at MGM have tried to reassert its independence. That's why the new DVDs are being put out by 20th Century Fox instead of Sony. I've also heard that Columbia's association with the James Bond franchise will end after The Quantum of Solace this year.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I thought it was 12 years?

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So how many movies do you think it will take to wrap up the Wraith/Michael and the new species plots ? I guess the reps/asurans are finally gone for good.

I am thinking at least 4 or 5 DVD's. They could of wrapped up most stuff with a single season or a shorter season and then still made stories for DVD afterwards.