THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.5%
  2. A

28.2%
  3. A-

21.8%
  4. B+

20.0%
  5. B

10.9%
  6. B-

8.2%
  7. C+

6.4%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't recognize Levi until the end credits. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw it. Not as good as the first Thor movie, but it had its righteous moments. The visuals were simply amazing.

What I thought was lacking was a more developed tension between Sif and Thor. We know that Sif will always be on Thor's side, no matter what, but I would have liked to have found out more about her character. In particular, I would have liked to have seen her gain Jane's trust. Thankfully, the relationship between Frigga and Jane was explored. I'm glad that Loki was showcased as much as he was. Ditto for Heimdall. The funeral was beautiful.

On the downside, the Aether threat reminded me too much of Parallax in the Green Lantern film: a colored fluid flowing through space. I did not want to be reminded of that sadly unrewatchable piece of crap, and I would have appreciated it, if the Thor crew had been able to come up with some other form for the manifestation.

I thought getting back with the car keys was way too easy and convenient. Even if the portals all exited near each other because of portal affinity or whatever, at least Thor and Jane should have had to go looking for what they'd figured out was a nearby portal.

Somehow, this lacked the emotional punch of the first film.

B+.

The Cap trailer was freaking amazing.

3. Gryffindorian

I liked the trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past. Can't wait for it next year.

In fact, most of the other trailers were geektastic! Looking forward to The Desolation of Smaug!

4. CorporalCaptain

My theater had no X-Men or Hobbit trailer.

5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

We had The Hobbit: Part 2, Anchorman 2, and we got the trailer for Captain America 2 twice, for some reason.

6. Gryffindorian

I've been going to Regal Cinemas in my area because I got a ton of gift cards for that theater last year. Anyway, the other trailers included an Ice Cube comedy, the new Jack Ryan film starring Chris Pine, Robocop, and one other title I can't remember at the moment.

7. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

why would guardians of the galaxy match tonally with a thor movie, or any other movie thus far. its a cosmic marvel movie. it was different intentionally. OPEN YOUR MIND TO NEW AND BETTER THINGS. that scene was fantastic.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Of course it wouldn't. This isn't Guardians of the Galaxy, though. This is Thor. The scene doesn't fit and makes no sense whatsoever without already having the knowledge that it's setting up GotG. All of the previous stingers have at least felt like they were part of the same movie.

9. CorporalCaptain

Was it the extended trailer with the elevator scene?

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

We got the elevator scene, along with a newish trailer of Captain America The Winter Soldier. We didn't see the villain until the end.

The Collector thing was weird. He reminded me of a silly-looking Doctor Who villain. It's one of those scenes only someone familiar with the comics would know. And it has the heroes again being fooled by someone.

The Sif/Jane thing seemed to be another subplot that got lost in the editing room.

11. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

No, it was the normal one. But I saw it in 2D, anyway.

12. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Saw it yesterday. More awesome and funny than the first Thor movie.

13. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the whole movie had been The Adventures of Thor & Loki I would have liked it more. Loki steals every scene he's in and has great chemistry with Thor. Natalie Portman, not so much. Their romance feels tacked on in the worst way. Did she do anything in the movie other than get the MacGuffin stuck in her for a while? I've already forgotten. The villain was surprisingly a non-entity throughout much of the movie too. I kept forgetting that he was in the film even as I was watching it.

On the plus side, the script had plenty of witty moments and Asgard was beautifully realized. As I said before I enjoyed the Thor and Loki moments, most of which felt more like a followup to the Avengers than a necessary element of the story told in this Thor sequel, which I guess goes to show how forgettable the whole thing seemed. I did like the final battle with Thor and the evil elf falling through multiple realms while fighting.

And as a fan of "Chuck" it was nice to see Zachary Levi in something again, even if I had to squint to recognize him.

14. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

what are you talking about? that was not a scene from Thor. it was a mid credits scene of the Guardians universe. this has been confirmed already. its tonally different intentionally. do your research pal.

15. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

What are you talking about? I saw a movie called Thor: The Dark World, which contained the scene in question. Guardians of the Galaxy is not until next year. Fury showing up to recruit Stark wasn't part of The Avengers. It was part of Iron Man. Thor's hammer was part of Iron Man 2. Fury showing the Tesseract was part of the first Thor, etc. I knew exactly what the scene was about. I'm a comic book fan, and I know who all of these characters are. Yeah, it's a tease for an upcoming film. It doesn't change the fact that the tone of the scene was awkwardly at odds with the rest of the film. To anyone without the knowledge of what's going on, it's going to be a real headscratcher.

16. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    To anyone without knowledge of what's going on, the significance of a hammer in the middle of the desert pertaining to Tony Stark and a glowing blue box are headscratcher's as well.

17. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought thor was great loki stole show as soon as he got out his jail. Kat dennings was awesome as well ( . ) :) ( . ) . I was wondering at the end was the collector adam warlock?

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

No, he was the Collector...

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What book was he in?

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Just got back from it a short while ago, really enjoyed it. Contrast to others here I liked it much, much better than the first. The first movie was good but it lacked scope and "does it matter?-ness." I mean if Thor failed, bo-hoo, some planet full of asshole Frostgiants goes boom. Oh-no, some nowhere town in New Mexico got damaged. Yawn.

In this movie it seemed things mattered, the UNIVERSE was at stake... or nine universes... or something.

Loki was a great show-stealer in pretty much all of his scenes and while I did not see his illusions re-conning his "death" I did see him posing as Odin as being a Loki illusion. The surprise attack on Thor being part of their "plan" also worked nicely.

Good use of Jane and even D'Arcy didn't make me want to smack her in the head in this one. I didn't much like what they did with Selvig he went from a brilliant astrophysicist to complete loon in the intervening time? Does this mean Clint Barton is in the same position in the aftermath of The Avengers?

I'd grade the movie an A-. Pretty damn good movie overall with some good humor moments and great use of Asgard and the other realms. And, man, is Sif hot. :drool: Please let her become Wonder Woman. Thor is a fool for not getting some of that, I mean Jane is great and all too but.. You know what, Thor? You're a god. Take the mortal AND the warrior chick!

Fun movie with a lot of great action scenes, good use of Thor and hilarious cameo by "Captain America."

I do have a question that I don't quite get not being too up on my Norse Mythology or too knowledgeable on the Marvel Universe, or even what we're going with in the MCU.

It seems to me they rebuilt the Bifrost, meaning that travel between re realms is again possible. But Thor seemed to say something to Jane that this alignment of the realms was making it possible.... That this was temporary hence the rush to bring peace to them? Did I misunderstand things?

And I still don't "get" the "Nine Realms" thing. Is it saying theirs only NINE inhabited worlds in all of the universe? Or as Asgard, an millennia old society is only aware of nine of them? Or are there nine known, separate, universes and Earth just happens to be the one Asgard has latched on to for this universe, which contains countless habitable planets?

I saw the movie in 3D which I'm not sure added anything, can't even say I noticed it. It was just the most convenient show time. But it did allow me to see the extended CA trailer with the scene excerpt. Also looks like its going to be a good movie but it needs more Black Widow. :)