Care to explain Ensign Janeway on TNG?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Her manners are too different from Our Captain. Besides that, it doesn't fit into Captain Janeway's life story.

My theory is that Ensign Janeway is related to Our Captain in some way, maybe a cousin. After all, there may have been some brother to Our Captain's father who were in Starfleet.

Maybe something for an upcoming fanfic story. ;)

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Her manners WERE too different, but after Dee ripped her a new one, it would explain most of what's wrong with Janeway "today", the lack of uncertainty and ferocious steeled aggressive focus. Dee thwacked the ensign in a face with a therapeutic shovel. Ensign Janeway died that day. What was born there, what left the counsellors couch then and there was an instantly transformed monster minus any empathy or human function.

In her bridge officers exam she flushed out half the crew through an airlock just to prove that she understood their point and they were assholes to think that they could manipulate her or find the roots of any conscience buried in her subconscious.

3. Willim Davies

Willim Davies Lieutenant Red Shirt

of all the characers in star trek, Tuvok is the only main character with a linking history, in "Star Trek Generations" he is at one of the consoles in the background at the begining, before kirk is "killed" then he shows up in voyager,in the episode "Flashbacks" (VGR) it explains his past.
    but the only time i can remember janeway returning is in one of the newer movies as an admiral talking with Picard

4. Guy Gardener

That guy was human.

You might as well say that Tuvok was also the Klingon played by Tim Russ in TNG Starship Mine.

5. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those are Klingons?! (in "Starship Mine"?)

6. Guy Gardener

7. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I say it's just coincidence. There was another Chakotay after all (although it wasn't spelled the same.)

But I have to say, I'm loving some of the responses I'm reading here!

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I do have some answers here too. ;)

In fact, I've dedicated a part of my Kes Website to "Voyager Mysteries-and how to solve them" at
    http://lynx677.110mb.com/Voyagermysteries.html

As for Tuvok, The Tuvok lookalike in "Starship Mine" is actually Tuvok's evil brother Devor, the black sheep of the family who have left his home, denied his relatives and became a criminal. For some reason, Tuvok has never mentioned anything about Devor (or Devok if you want it more Vulcan), maybe for the same reason as Spock never mentioned his brother Sybok to Kirk or McCoy.

As for the Tuvok lookalike in "Generations", let us just assume that it's Our Favorite Vulcan himself, on a brief stint with the Enterprise. Why not?

The Tuvok in the DS9 episode "Through The Looking Glass" was a mirror Tuvok.

Not to mention that he did show up briefly in an NCIS episode when he was transported back in time on some secret mission! :vulcan:

As for Chakotay and Chekote, there is a certain difference in spelling those names.

9. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

meh, i always thought TNG tuvok was him under cover. Although I don't remember right now if he had the ears or not.

10. Guy Gardener

Between Marie Marshal and Pat Tallman, Timmy would have to have been happily married or a fool not to try to be undercovers with someone on the set that week.

I think I'm going to put the episode on right now. :)

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He doesn't have ears. He's a human. He just looks like Tuvok.

12. Guy Gardener

I think 3 minutes googling is enough to decide that Lucy's DOB is perhaps less on line than... Although Neil Patrick and the girl that played "Wanda" were born in 73 and 72 respectively, and all the kids on Doogie hause, their characters were supposed to be 16 in the pilot, and were supposed to all b the same age... The guy that played "Vinnie" was born in "1967". Thyroid condition?

So Mulgrew born in '55 could have easily been Lucy Boryers mother, and equally so Ensign Janeway could have easily been Captain Janeways daughter.

What would that say about Kathryn, if she had a daughter back home that she refused to talk about or acknowledge?

13. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

They should totally CGI on some ears and have done with it.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

HA!

15. Guy Gardener

Picard took Devor down with a Vulcan nerve pinch.

(I wonder if Tim thought about the characters name during Counterpoint?)

Surely the nerves would be in different places?

16. Tomalak

The head's in the same place isn't it?

17. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know books aren't canon, but you could always make it a possibility that Ensign Janeway is Kathryn's sister, Phoebe from Mosaic. Considering she is wearing a science/medical uniform, it is a possibility that her sister had the same interest in science as her older sister did.

18. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Phoebe wasn't in Starfleet, had brown hair, and was an artist. I dunno if that would fit. They were basically painted as opposites in a lot of ways.

Unless there was a sister Mom never wanted to talk about... :P

19. Guy Gardener

Or dear old Dad had more than one family?

Underhanded inconsensual polygamy must be so hard in the information age, gods forbid the future.

20. Tomalak

Hey, in Roddenberry's future, such things would be actively encouraged.