Safety Not Guaranteed - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by IndyJones, Jun 19, 2012.

?

How do you grade Safety Not Guaranteed?

1. A

50.0%
  2. A/B

33.3%
  3. B

16.7%
  4. B/C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw Safety Not Guaranteed this evening and really enjoyed it. It currently boasts a 92% positive rating from Rotten Tomatoes and a 72 from Metacritic.

The movie stars Aubrey Plaza from Parks and Recreation, Jake Johnson from The New Girl, and Mark Duplass from The League. Jake Johnson plays a magazine writer who decides to write an article on the author of the following classified ad:

[​IMG]

Here's the trailer:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jSnAs7mq8[/yt]

I recently shotgunned Parks and Recreation, and decided to see this movie (which I really hadn't heard much about) after seeing Aubrey Plaza's name attached to it. I'm glad I did.

It was just...fun, and I loved the performances by Plaza and Duplass.

Anyone else see, or plan to see, this film?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW - I decided to put this thread in SF because it's about a time machine, without any implications as to whether there was or wasn't any time travel.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're all travelling through time.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't plan on seeing the movie, really doesn't look like my thing. But I do remember several years ago, when that guy's classified ad (yes he actually did send that ad to a newspaper) was its own internet meme. As amusing as that was, this movie really doesn't look all that interesting to me, so I'll have to pass.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Love the wanted-ad ad campaign. This does look like my kind of movie, but more a wait-for-Netflix type of movie than a pay-$12-get-annoyed-by-cellphones-and-babies type of movie (of which I find there are only two or three per year).

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw this in theaters Friday night. A really fun, enjoyable movie. It keeps you engaged the entire time, trying to figure out if Duplass is crazy or not. Plaza gives a really grounded, lovely performance as the intern who goes from being spat upon by life to taking over the investigation into Duplass, and wrestling with the growing bond they're sharing.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not playing anywhere near here just like all the other good movies

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I just saw this and absolutely loved it. It's a character piece more than anything but as mentioned, it'll keep you watching and wondering. Check it out.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I enjoyed this a great deal. This is a really sweet, entertaining and understated film. I've always like Plaza on Parks and Rec and Johnson on New Girl, and they both gave funny and often endearing (in Plaza's case) performances, with Duplass obviously being a standout. The movie keeps you guessing right until the end about what's actually going on with Duplass and the time travel bit, but that's not really as important as the burgeoning relationship and trust that develops between him and Plaza. Loved it.

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cryptic "spoilers" ahead.

The key scene in the movie is the morning after with the magazine reporter and his old girlfriend, because his attempt to go back in time is the thematic counterpart to the time travel attempt.

There is no way for Mark Duplass' character to rig a crash, which means Belinda never died.

There is an ambiguity between just disappearing and going somewhere.

The movie is bittersweet.

10. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The real guy was actually an editor for the magazine that the real ad appeared in. They didn't have enough ads to fill the entire space, so instead of leaving half the page blank they just made a bunch of stuff up, mostly obvious jokes, but also that.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'll just wait for the film to come out on TV or DVD.

12. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It came out on DVD last Tuesday.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it a lot, for various reasons, including the way they didn't focus overly on the sci fi aspect. Finally, a time travel movie with no logical inconsistencies! ;)

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was great. Loved the quirky, offbeat humor, and Aubrey Plaza couldn't have been more perfect for it.

The ending was one of the best and most emotional I've seen in awhile as well.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Not in my region it didn't, as for cinema relase the earliest date I've seen for the UK is Boxing Day. So DVD will be Easter 2013 or so.