A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm beginning to doubt they'll have Tyrion kill her, though if they do it'll be the biggest shocker of all for the non-readers... Even in the context of this show people will freak.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

So has Bronn betrayed Tyrion by handing Shae over to Tywin or Cersei or did he really put her on the ship and watch it sail away, only for her to somehow come back to the city without his knowledge? Time will tell.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

My guess: since they haven't bothered to introduce Lollys Stokeworth, they might just skip her entirely and have Cersei straight-up buy Bronn's loyalty with lands and a title.

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

A preview of The World of Ice and Fire has been posted on Martin's website, offering insight into the origins of Aegon's Conquest.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm really looking forward to TWOIAF. I was hoping it would be out for Christmas past, but they just had the 'Worlds of...' one, which seemed to be basically a collection of maps. I don't know about everyone else, but I love the way the books will delve into Westeros' past now and again, so this book will be right up my street.

6. Brendan Moody

The map book (The Lands of...) was out in 2012; last year's Christmas book was the quote book The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister. Martin's publishers have a game plan of releasing some tie-in title every year, to keep the series in the public eye (and make money) in the long gaps between the novels. The world book was supposed to come out in 2012, but Martin wrote so much that he blew the deadline, so they pushed it back to 2013 and added the map book. Then it was decided they needed more art to balance all the new text, so the world book was delayed again and the quote book was devised. That new art isn't 100% done, but it does look like 2014 is finally the year for the world book. 2015 will probably be the first Dunk and Egg collection, but that's being lavishly illustrated as well, so it depends on when the artist gets everything done. And of course in the unlikely event that The Winds of Winter is finished for next year, that would take precedence.

I hadn't especially been looking forward to the world book-- I had trouble getting into the novella in Dangerous Women that was drawn from some of Martin's excess writing; it felt like an odd hybrid of fiction and exposition-- but the excerpt, which has a slightly different style that's more readable, has changed my mind. Bring on October.

7. Klaus

...just had a thought about the show. Isn't Balin Greyjoy supposed to be dead by now? Didn't he predecease J in the books? We know he's on the grilled-leeches list, but I think they switched the order around.

I was thinking something along those lines too... I was also wondering if Shae was brought to Tywin's quarters as ordered, either before or after she met Tyrion for the "last" time, to be made an offer she couldn't refuse. They'd have to have bought both of them off to make her eventual fate at Tyrion's hands work out, it seems.

If they really do have Shae betray him and die at his hands, the resultant shitstorm will dwarf anything else in the show's history, even the Red Wedding and Ned's death. People are going to go suborbital, and it will be glorious to watch. :D

8. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I agree with the above. The Shae in the book was remote enough to make the betrayal believeable. The Shae in the show appears to be incorruptible. I'm really wondering how they are going to handle this.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Season 5 is already filming, incidentally. A friend of mine has been an extra in the show (in season 1, he leads Maester Aemon down from the podium at Castle Black when the new recruits to the night's watch are given their assignments). Tell me they were filming in Rostrevor, a small town in County Down on Monday. Filming used to start later in the year but bigger budget, bigger schedule, apparently.

10. Brendan Moody

Interesting. The producers have always said that the show's production schedule can't be expanded or altered much, so I doubt they've started full-on filming, but they may be getting something done early for availability or weather reasons.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Probably 2nd unit b-roll stuff.

12. Brendan Moody

Rolling Stone has an in-depth interview with George R. R. Martin. Much of it is stuff he's said before in other venues, but if you're not the type to read his every public statement this is a great overview of the thinking behind the books.

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The episode titles and running times for all 10 episodes of the fourth season have now been confirmed by HBO:

4.01 Two Swords (59 minutes)
    4.02 The Lion and the Rose (53 minutes)
    4.03 Breaker of Chains (57 minutes)
    4.04 Oathkeeper (56 minutes)

4.05 First of His Name (54 minutes)

4.06 The Laws of Gods and Men (51 minutes)

4.07 Mockingbird (52 minutes)

4.08 The Mountain and the Viper (53 minutes)

4.09 The Watchers on the Wall (51 minutes)

4.10 The Children (66 minutes)

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The title of the finale sure is interesting.

15. Klaus

^^it's probably related to Dany's storyline, like last year's ending...?

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping it's referring to the Children of the Forest. The show's getting awfully close to at least overtaking the books in regards to Bran's storyline...

17. Brendan Moody

They've already cast an actress to play one of the Children of the Forest this year, so that's almost certainly part of what it means. I imagine some reference to Dany, her dragons, and her human "children" is also involved. Possibly they'll do the chaining of the dragons in this year's finale.

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Certainly significant parts of Books IV and V are being dealt with this season.

I was reading some of Bran's story from ADWD again and I was struck by how mild Winter actually is in these books. In our own world, in winter in the North there is no way you can walk for even a few hours let alone days on end without dying of exposure or at least getting severe frostbite. Even the streams are not frozen solid north of the wall.

19. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

If I remember right, it's not until the last scene or one of the last scenes that winter officially comes. So it was technically still fall when we last saw Bran.

20. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

I think she can be easily pissed-off enough though. In most every scene, post-marriage, with Tyrion, she already comes across as betrayed.