NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Use of Time, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That signing actually happened on March 15.

Anyway, Roach is a very capable linebacker (he filled in for both Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher when they spent time injured) and a pretty solid starter. The biggest knock on him is that he tends to have lapses in focus -- gimmick offensive formations absolutely baffle him -- and he isn't terribly fast, so he isn't a guy you use as support against a speedy receiver. Solid pickup by the Raiders, though, and it's definitely a loss for the Bears, who are hurting for LB depth.

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

3. Timby

4. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't even know what to say about this. He's trying to get down to 270??? Good lord.

You sure can't blame the teams who wanted his workouts for them to be in private. No one wants to be seen appearing to believe Jamarcus can actually play.

If it was just his laziness at issue, well thats one thing, but there are also the alleged drug issues to boot. I mean, even if he looks great, you can't just ignore the other stuff.

I wouldn't want him on my team, but then again, my team already had him once so I might be a tad biased. ;)

5. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Most of those trick plays would have to be named after fast food.

"Big Mac 17 Left"

8. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

9. Timby

Ravens sign Caleb Hanie to a one-year deal.

Better pray that Flacco doesn't get hurt, or else Ravens fans are going to have some very, very long days... :lol:

10. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

11. tighr

Looks like they did indeed choose BAL @ DEN for the opener.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...vens-will-open-in-denver-for-2013-nfl-kickoff

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they put one of the Seattle/49ers games on NBC (Should be both by the way, or at least both in Prime Time), I will be happy.

13. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I tried to get hotel reservations for the Packers/Vikings game at Lambeau as soon as the schedule was announced, but all the hotels near Lambeau were sold out almost immediately.

14. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

The Texans open on a Monday night game at the Chargers, which doesn't even start until 9:20PM Houston time. Christ, I'll be asleep before halftime. :lol:

15. chrisspringob

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that they made that one a primetime game, and not Denver@NYG, which is probably the final game ever between Peyton and Eli. I guess the intrigue threshold is higher for AFC-NFC matchups than for matchups within the conference.

16. chrisspringob

SF@Seattle (in Week 2) is an NBC Sunday night game, but Seattle@SF (in Week 14) is just a Sunday afternoon game. Granted, the latter is in the "flex" portion of the schedule, so there's always an outside chance that it'll get moved to Sunday night if the intrigue is high enough.

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not surprised that this is the one they chose... They wanted the Ravens to be the first game of the season, and because they couldn't work something out for the Ravens to be at home, their options were:
    • Broncos
    • Bills
    • Dolphins
    • Steelers
    • Browns
    • Bears
    • Lions
    • Bengals
    From that list, we can immediately nuke the Bills, Dolphins, Browns, and Lions as intriguing options for the primetime season opener. Now, out of the remaining 4 games, which matchups are people really going to care about and really want to see? The Steelers and the Broncos. Steelers v. Ravens has the benefit of being a rivalry that regularly produces good, entertaining games. However, the Broncos v. Ravens has the huge revenge game angle going for it.

In fact, looking at the Ravens schedule, there's only 3 games that I can see being used as the first game of the season, and 2 of them are home games (Patriots and Packers).

18. tighr

As much as people in general like San Francisco and Seattle (and fans of other teams may disagree), I don't think it's fair to award the SNF game twice in one season to the same match-up. There are 30 other teams that play home-and-away games, in fact every single team plays three of them each year. What makes SF vs SEA the most intriguing of them all?

19. Timby

The NFL is banking hard on Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson being highly marketable faces of the league after Peyton and Brady retire. Also, by Week 14, the playoff picture will be shaping up, and it's quite likely that the Seahawks and 49ers will be the only NFC West teams worth a shit next year.

20. chrisspringob

There's at least one recent case in which the NFL flexed in a Sunday night game that was a divisional matchup that they'd already had earlier in the season. In 2011, the Week 14 Giants @ Cowboys was on Sunday night, and then just three weeks later on Week 17, Cowboys @ Giants was flexed into the Sunday night slot.

Of course, the NFL's options for that Week 17 Sunday night game are always very limited, as they need to figure out which, if any, games will have playoff implications regardless of the outcomes of the Sunday afternoon games earlier that day. So they may not have had any good alternatives in that case.

In general though, they've become increasingly reluctant to flex out the tentative game for SNF unless it's a real dog. Week 17 always being the exception because there is no tentative Sunday night game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.