Dear Movie Studios, Marketers and DVD Manufacturers;

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by T'Baio, Dec 16, 2008.

1. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I don't give one flying fuck about digital copies of your movies, so stop increasing the price of your DVD's based on the idea of including them.

Sincerely,

Go Fuck Yourself

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

What?!?!?!? It's an outrage! I refuse to buy any DVDs!!!

...of course, I never buy DVDs. Why buy a DVD when Netflix will rent it cheap? All DVDs do is get underfoot and practically nothing is worth watching twice anyway. Damn few things are even worth watching once. :rommie:

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And stop claiming the digital copy as an extra disk of content!

Hell, the digital copy isn't even on the disk. I decided to put the digital copy of the CLONE WARS movie on my computer just to see what it was like. You punch in the security code and the actual movie downloads from the iTunes store!

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course the digital copy is extra content! Just like how the menu screen is a bonus feature!!! :)

5. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

You almost were on topic there. You did mention DVDs, which is part of the topic. So you were 10% there. ;)

6. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

Yeah I had that with TIH, I tried to put it on my computer and itunes pops up...WTF. Besides. I dont need no stinking digital copy. I just take my favorite dvd ripping software and BAM...there is my digital copy...

7. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No matter how bad we think the bonus features are, the studios would still probably charge the same price for the special edition with or without the digital copy. I don't like the digital copy idea, and I won't go out of my way to support it, but if I decide that the other bonus features I'm getting are worth it, then I will not boycott the DVD just to make an ineffective point.

8. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't been following this closely. Are the studios actually charging more for DVDs with a DRM-infested digital copy of the movie on the disc that may or may not work on your media player of choice? Just browsing through Amazon, I didn't see anything too out of the ordinary as far as pricing goes, but I wasn't looking for it specifically.

I didn't think they were, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

9. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

Or "scene/chapter selection". When I see that on the back of a DVD, I snap it up right away.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

You do realize that the price of DVDs have gone up $3 before they started adding the D-copy? From $15 to $18 for a new movie. You do realize that they have about 5 different versions of the same movie? So you can buy what you want.

So instead of buying some movies, buy yourself a drink.

11. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dont understand why are the studios raising the price of DVDs during a recession? Does not seem to be a wise business move.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, digital copies of movies on Digital Video Disks is an oxymoron.

13. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Walmart/Target-good movies, $9. Crappy movies-$5. TimeWarner movie package on my 47" LCD-$10/month. He shoots, he scores...

14. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

You do realize that they only include the special features on the versions with the digital copy, and that those 2 discers have in the last little while gone from (in Canada) an average of about 24.99 on release to 29.99?

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Oh, and I'd like to have the insert back, please.

The bulk of my movies go into binders. It's nice to have the insert to go itno the facing of the page rather than having to remove and fold/cut up the the insert around the amaray case.

Oh, and the locking tabs are REALLY annoying.

16. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

The price of the titles differ based on the title so I don't know where you're coming up with this notion that DVD's have gone up across the board from $15- $18. My point is that I don't understand what your basis for comparison is for new releases as there's no consistent price for them to begin with.

Not seeing this at all. I've seen multiple versions available with the digital copy (including the one sans the SF). The only price increase I'm seeing is for special two disc sets which - imagine that- cost more than a title with one disc. This actually makes sense to me as I for one don't give 2 shits about special features on a disc unless it's something like Trek or SW. But, there are some people out there who have to have the SF but I'm normally not one of them.

-Shawn :borg:

17. Mistral

Locking tabs = major annoyance with a 2yr old clamoring for his Spiderman or Batman movies while tugging on my legs...:evil:

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I also "love" when the "security stickers" are on all three sides of the case. :rolleyes:

19. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

Ummmm... scissors???

Not for nothing, though, as much as a nuisance as they are, they have literally saved my DVD's from my 2 year-old.

-Shawn :borg:

20. Mistral

While the thought has crossed my mind from time to time, I have thus far managed to refrain from using scissors on my son. Perhaps when he's older...:lol: