The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've missed a few pages so forgive me if it's been brought up, but I'm half-thinking that the bloated walker WAS Lori, and Rick's addled state kept him from seeing her as one.

Her body's abdomen would still have been distended after the birth and if Carl had been unable to shoot her, zombie Lori could have reanimated and dragged herself to a sitting position (which seemed to be where the blood trail led) where Rick ultimately found her. His subconscious would have made her look like a walker unable to walk with a belly full of Lori, and he re-killed it accordingly.

His hallucinatory state could then extend to the phone, assuming it's not the Verizon guy.

Mark

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Except we've seen that new walkers don't decompose that fast. Just look at Shane when he turned. He practically looked the same.

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand that. Furthermore, Big Belly Walker was male and dressed differently. I'm saying that Rick, in his crazy beserker state, saw BBW instead of zombie Lori. Thus, he shot zombie Lori and stabbed her multiple times without knowing it.

Mark

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

If that were the case I think there would have been a visual cue for the audience.

5. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

The fact that the walker's belly wasn't cut open (at least prior to Rick stabbing the hell out of it) is a dead giveaway that it wasn't Lori.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well there's a new usage for that acronym :guffaw:

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Walkers would have discovered the hilltop group at some time; they wander around until they "sense" the living, so that original camp was not going to last forever.

At the farm, only one person is responsible for the walker herd getting the upper hand: Shane. If shane did not spilt the group on a set up to kill Rick, imagine how a unified group would have handled that herd. Even if they had to flee, I doubt anyone would have dies, since no one would be waiting for others to show up/wonder if they were dead, etc.

So, I just do not see Rick being the agent of survivor misery, as one was fate, the other the end result of a psycho's master plan.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I had this sudden image of that guy running down the road with a phone, being pursued by zombies but stopping every few steps. "Can you hear me now? Good!"

9. TREK_GOD_1

Yeah. Rick's group--when ignoring Shane--was run on trust. The Governor's is run on fear and unspoken threats, as you say:

Who really trusts the Governor at all? "His" people seem to be sheep waiting for slaughter the moment the gaurds vanish, or another group gains the upper hand in a fight.

10. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Did anyone get a chance to read the Governor's notes? I remember one line where he mentioned that crime had increased 20%.

11. TREK_GOD_1

I wonder of it is real crime--or crime as he sees it in his "new order," which could be anything that walks out of step with his ultimate control...

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I think he said something about "heads will roll."

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Zombie head bowling?

14. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I read the notes (love my hd tv!) thought it was interesting.

15. Silvercrest

In a population of less than 100 people that's been established for less than a year, you can't figure out things like realistic trends in crime rates.

Oh, you can count the numbers and make the charts — but one person could commit one crime and noticeably skew the numbers. So they don't mean much.

Unless you're paranoid.

No, I don't think we're talking real crimes here.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Or they're 'staged' things to give the Governor some cover for whatever he wants to do, keep the people a LITTLE on edge so he doesn't lose the fear that keeps him unquestioned in power, etc.

17. Silvercrest

Right, but if they're staged, we're certainly not talking real crimes.

Even if they're real, the statistics have very little significance for the reasons I mentioned. In a community of that size, you're not going to say "crime rates are up 20%", you're going to say, "Joe stole a can of Spam." Same thing.

If you want to keep the people on edge, you don't report rising crime rates. You say, "Joe is no longer with us because he was plotting and had to be dealt with."

The only way the actual statistic numbers will be significant to the Governor is if he's both obsessive-compulsive and paranoid (which we agree is probably true). But the only way they'll have meaning to the people is if they're farther gone than he is (brainwashed, paranoid, drinking the Kool-Aid).

Otherwise when they hear a 20% increase, they'll just laugh and say, "Oh, you mean when Joe stole the Spam?" He couldn't keep any credibility spouting things like that.

So either these numbers are the Governor's private fantasy (which I believe is the case), or these people have serious mental issues.

Maybe Woodbury is the name of a psychiatric ward.

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Amen

And wouldn't it remove the power of that episode if she was still alive? No, doesn't make sense for them to slam us with a powerful episode and death like that, only to rip it away later and remove that emotion and make it invalid. It makes sense that she's dead, and the scene remains emotional, and powerful, and had meaning. It would be like a reset, and I hate resets.

She's dead.

19. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

She may be dead, but she could still be undead.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

If it helps, the actress thinks she's done and have moved on. Not to say it's impossible to have someone else in zombie makeup, but why woud they when she'd be willing to do it herself.

She's done, let's not drag out crazy theories that we know are false. She was bleeding out, Carl shot her, zombie ate her. Pretty much end of the line there...