"A Few weeks latter they found a cure, a god damned cure!"Contrived?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 14, 2013.

1. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

Re: "A Few weeks latter they found a cure, a god damned cure!"Contrive

A scene with Spock as a child witnessing a similar statement from his father would have been a bit better, IMO.

2. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I couldn't have said it better myself. This, by far, is my favorite scene in TFF, and unlike a lot of people here, I actually like the movie and enjoy watching it from time to time.

If we wanted a technical answer, I actually agree with one of the above posters in the fact that most treatments takes years or decades because of political walls (requiring approval from government agencies like the FDA, etc etc.). I highly doubt Starfleet Medical has such obstructions. I'm sure if they find effective treatments for a disease, such a treatment could go from discovery to application in a matter of weeks or months.

I could see McCoy having to deal with the fact that after his father dies, maybe a month or 2 later Starfleet Medical comes up with an effective cure for the disease, even if it was just the discovery of it. I'm sure that would tear him up emotionally, and that's what makes it the best scene of the movie IMO.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Great points. The McCoy scene was one of the highlights of the TOS films series. DK scored with that one.

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well said.