Is it Easy to Find Star Trek Books in Foreign Languages?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I live in Russia right now and everytime I go to the bookstore, I look for Star Trek books in Russian. Unfortunately, I have never found any in Russian. In fact, I don't even know if Star Trek books have ever been translated and sold in Russian. Does Simon and Schuster ever translate any Trek books into foreign languages? Russians love to read and e-readers aren't as popular here as in America, so "traditional" bookstores are all over the place. I have seen large sci-fi sections in these bookstores, but it is hard to find popular "American" sci-fi books like Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.. :(

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Translations are usually done by foreign publishers, who license the local rights and do the translations themselves. For example, Crosscult has been translating the Trek novels for release into the German market.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why not see if a local bookstore can just order you the English language version?

4. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I wondered about that!

I actually thought it would be neat to read a Star Trek novel in Russian!

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

We had a thread on this about a year ago. I believe there were a lot of Japanese translations in the late 70s and early 80s, along with a Japanese edition of "Starlog".

Ah, here's the thread about foreign language cover art:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=191809

And a blog entry by The Trek Collective:
    http://www.thetrekcollective.com/search/label/non-english editions

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's only somewhat difficult to find French-language editions of some of the Pocket Books novels here in Ottawa. Québec being right across the river from us, after all...

7. EddyDrama

EddyDrama Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Here in Finland it is quite hard to find translated Star Trek books, as they havent been translated for about 20 years. I've been asking around from used bookstores and they have said that the finnish translations dont come through the door all that often. I know that they translated some TOS and TNG books but I dont know how many in total.

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Can you check online resources, like Finnish fan pages, Amazon or are there entries in a/the Finnish Memory Alpha? Have you access to a University Library OPAC system? Maybe you could track down other readers/collectors in forums.

9. EddyDrama

EddyDrama Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have not tried to check library databases. In the 90s I asked about Star Trek books from the library and they told to me about some finnish titles but back then I did not like to read in finnish so I loaned Star Trek books in english. The finnish translations would be more of a curiosity than anything else, so I'm not actively searching for them but alvays when I go to a used bookstore I do ask if they have any. Checking the library databases is a good idea thank you.

There are really no finnish fan-pages for Star Trek and I dont know if there is a finnish version of memory alpha as I use the english one. Also Amazon is not used all that much in finland so anything finnish can be a bit hard to come by from there, I did check Amazon but there was nothing there.

Finland is a fairly small country and it seems that these days intrest in Star Trek has become fairly marginal. So any online resources are kinda hard to come by in finnish, and I probably would not use them all that much if there were.