Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Pt2 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Servo, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, it's available early if you know where to look. I already know I'm buying the Blu-Ray at the end of the month, so I figured why bother waiting?

I thought part one was excellent. The animation was beautifully reminiscent of the original book, the voice acting was spot on, there isn't a single downside to that movie, so there's no surprise that part two continues in exactly the same vein.

Emerson is pitch perfect as the Joker. I'd been looking forward to hearing him in full on Joker mode, and he does not disappoint at all. He captures every nuance of the character perfectly, from eerie psychotic calm, to full on maniacal rage. Perfect casting for this version of the clown prince of crime.

The climactic battle between Batman and the boy scout is brilliantly realised, and quite brutal, as you'd expect from the tone of the story.

No real need to go into major plot points; we all know the story, and those who don't are in for one hell of a ride. Just know that if you enjoyed part one, you're gonna love part two.

My copy also had a sneak peek at Superman Unbound at the end, which I for one can not wait for.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Like the first part, I thought it had it's moments. But much like with the Watchmen movie, it felt to me like something got a bit lost in the translation. They played things way too straight, and much of the dark and subversive 80s satire of the comic just didn't come through very well (especially when it came to the Reagan and USSR stuff). It all just seemed very odd and bizarre. And plus it was long and bloated as hell.

Although I admit the showdown between Batman and Joker was pretty good.

3. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't feel long and bloated to me. I wasn't bored or clockwatching at any point. The film had me from start to finish.

4. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't really agree on the Emerson love. To me he sounded too well-behaved, too restrained. He made me miss Mark Hamill.

Apart from that, the movie is great, though.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen part 2 but, as far as Part 1, yes. I'd put it up there just behind Phantasm and Nolan's TDK as far as Batman adaptations go.

6. Captain Qwert Jr

Captain Qwert Jr Captain Captain

Let's see how people react to Nazi-Boobs! Political correctness was still about 2 years away when this was printed.

I suppose that was my main problem with it. The pacing was way, way too quick. Like the first part, it wisely does not try to slavishly mimic the comic. What works so well in the comic, often comes out terribly in the other mediums. And yet...

Many sections of the Book were soliloquies (with panels) by the characters. I can see why some should not have been included, due to the artistic differences of the medium, or overall direction. Superman's post-nuke thoughts probably would not come out well on screen. Overwrougt or corny. But others...You may as well have not included Alfred at all if you weren't going to include the 'purloined letter' sequence. I suppose no narration is less awkward than occasional narration on screen. I wish the director could have found a solution to that.

OTOH, I did think there were some Nice little things that invoke the book's spirit, without compromising the show's integrity. The additions to the end, for example, such as Gordon's exchange with Superman (I think that's new), and Olly leading the bat-boys.

I saw it OnDemand, so it was no frills. Cant judge any extras the DVD may have. The end credits were too wide for the screen for some reason.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too.

I thought the whole thing was fantastic. It's the best Bat-thing I've seen on screen since TAS, easily trumping any of Nolan's efforts.

8. the G-man

Not on college campuses, as I recall. It was already alive and well.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Anyone know if any stores are selling both Parts 1+2 packaged together? :confused:

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That was much better than Part One, but of course the material is much better. I do feel the presentation REALLY suffered from the lack of narration in this one, though. Particularly when Superman is hit by the nuke and is dying and he's praying to Mother Earth to heal him, that rang completely false without the narration.

But Batman beating the shit out of Superman was totally awesome :D

Much as I love Michael Emerson, I didn't like his Joker portrayal. But the end of the Joker was great. I didn't remember him shooting all those innocents like that though, that was really brutal.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw Part I yesterday and agree about the lack of narration. To me, the moments I remember from the graphic novel are the narration.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So is it just me or would this movie have sold twice as well if they put Batman punching Superman on the cover rather than that incredibly generic picture of Bats?

Also, they should have called it Dark Knight Returns Part Two: Batman vs Superman!

I'm partly joking, but I'm sure that would have increased sales. I'm sure non-comics readers aren't gonna know this movie has the most bad ass Batman vs Superman fight ever.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The covers for these are rather bland. What you mentioned would have definitely been more interesting.

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

RT, a lot of the stuff doesn't translate well.

15. the G-man

I'm watching part 2 right now and loving it so far

16. the G-man

The book was more brutal. in the book the Joker actually succeeded in murdering most of the people at the fair with poisoned cotton candy including large numbers of kids. That was left out of the cartoon. In a way I think leaving it out was a mistake. All those deaths in the book made Batman's ultimate decision seem more like his only choice.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But his ultimate decision in the comic was
    not to kill the Joker. He stopped just short of snapping the Joker's neck (though I think he paralyzed him), but the Joker somehow forced his own neck to snap the rest of the way.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I thought Emerson's performance as the Joker was quite outstanding. Best animated Joker since Mark Hamill.

19. the G-man

Yes, but in the book, even that was presented as something fairly extreme and not what he'd chosen to do at any point in the preceding twenty years. Also, in the movie it was presented more as self defense than revenge or a preventative measure. In the book it came off more as the latter.

Also:

It's a nearly thirty year old comic book [am I really that old? :eek:]. Isn't wrapping this discussion in spoiler tags a little like worrying people don't know Darth Vader is Luke's dad at this point? ;)

In any event, the entire thing was f***ing excellent! I actually enjoyed it even more than the last Nolan film. Well done.

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

But the Joker
    he still laughs after Bats break his neck and so the Joker is killing himself, although it's not clear in this.

Part 2 was great. I'm only disappointed that some of the more iconic images of the Superman Vs Batman fight weren't given more attention such as Bruce kicking Superman in the head. They did it on 'The Brave and the Bold' which was pretty cool.

Also another minor nitpick is that I still think the colors are too pale and washed out compared to the comic. But that just seems to be a trend in animation these days.