I'm going to watch "Shades of Grey" and "The Inner Light" back to back

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by patlandness, Oct 18, 2012.

1. patlandness

patlandness Captain Captain

Both stories feature regular characters going into comas and experiencing unusual things as their comrades try to bring them back to consciousness.

While, the quality of these two episodes *ahem* vary, I just wanted to watch them back to back and see if my head explodes from knowing that they both belong to the same series.

Would anyone else be willing to do this and speak of how their brain feels afterwards?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: I'm going to watch "Shades of Grey" and "The Inner Light" back to

It's hilarious how Shades of Grey has sunk into an even deeper pit of eyerolls since it's now impossible to read that episode title and not think "50".

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I dunno. As I said in the other thread on this episode some days ago, personally I don't think "Shades of Gray" is half as bad as most people make it out to be. The framework story is halfway decent and the clips chosen are actually quite good.

Sure, it's no comparison to "The Inner Light", but it is certainly watchable. If not for the newly-created score Ron Jones did for this episode, which is just great.

4. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm with "M" - I'm not on the "Shades of Gray is the worst TNG eva!" bandwagon, so it wouldn't make my head explode.

While I wouldn't try and claim it's better than "Inner Light", I have to say that episode is criminally OVER-rated, so I doubt my brain would explode from just watching two so-so episodes of TNG.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Shades of Gray, perfectly fine - I have no problem with it. The Inner Light, meh, no where near as good as many claim.

6. patlandness

patlandness Captain Captain

I'm not saying that "Shades of Grey" is the worst episode of TNG ever (that dubious honor goes to "Genesis" in my book); it is "Buck Rogers"-level campy.

But "The Inner Light" is a friggin' classic. It was an episode that snagged TNG its first of 2 Hugo Awards.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I like Shades of Grey better.

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Well, now you say it, I have to agree. Possibly, this won't be a widely accepted viewpoint around these parts though! :)

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's a neat idea executed in a really dull manner. Add in the ridiculousness of Riker (I wouldn't trust him to take care of a kitten much less make important decisions by this point in the series) and you have a really lackluster episode.