Supernatural 8x3 "Heartache" spoiler discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dorian Thompson, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Episode 3 airs tomorrow night, good people. :techman: I may have to sleep at work we're into so many meetings and overtime with new potential clients that I thought I'd start the thread now. It's a bitch, but I need the money to fix my car so there you go.

Enjoy. :)

2. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

God, you are a working machine, and i bitch about it being twenty weeks in a row of 60 hours. I hope you aren't salary (or well compensated salary).

3. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Standard monster of the week epsiode, nothing spectacular, nothing really bad.

One thing so far this season is really bothering me, and thats why is Dean reacting the way he does to Sam.

Sam tells Dean that he doesn't want this life, and Dean literally doesn't believe him.

This makes absolutley no sense. Dean was out of Sam life for three years because Sam wanted a normal life. He lived through Sam excluding Dean from his life (though he felt driven by John's way or the highway).

He lived through a year where Sam was upfront about finding teh Demon and ending him, and wanted to go back to a normal life after that occurred.

And he also knew that was Sam's basically dying wish for Dean, to give up the hunting life and to have a normal life.

Now we have seen Dean get made about those feelings, seen him be hurt by those feelings, and in truth we have had Dean want Sam to get out of the life.

But we never really saw Dean not believe that Sam wanted a normal life.

Hell he has even confronted Sam about his restored push for hunting, and Sam was absolutely straight up with Dean. That he needed to save others to wash out the bad that was in him (season two). And after Azazel died, he had the immediate ramification of Dean's deal to work through, then Dean's Death, then his push for vengeance on LIlith for killing Dean. Then back to making amends for what his actions caused in freeing Lucifer.

Buta huge part of episode 4 of last season was that after suffering in the Pitt for about 150 years, he felt he had paid for any wrongs he had done. He stayed in the fight as the fight was going after them literally, and is willing to do so in the case of something huge (fate of the world, ending all demons, ect) but not the every day stuff.

Dean isn't stupid, why all of a sudden is the character oblivious to this rather huge part of Sam's character?

SO far, while I like the arc to work to seal all demons back in the Pit (certainly more so then the Leviathan arc, yawn), but on the character front, so far (and I assume this is from Carver) he doesn't seem to get some of the very basic aspect of these characters (something Sera did, she was always better at character then plot).

Comparing to last season I actually like to date season 7 (first three episodes) a lot more then the first three episodes of this season. Lucky for this season, the 4th episode of season 7 was in my opinion was of the worst episodes of SPN ever. So I hope to like next week a lot more.

It also didn't hurt that the first three episodes of last season were really tightly plotted, and played a s a true serial. Something the show has never done. Of course that only lasted three episodes.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yeah, this was a pretty "meh" Monster of the Week story, and I also don't understand why Dean all of a sudden doesn't believe Sam wants a normal life. This doesn't fit with everything we know about the characters.

5. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

One could argue that Dean does not believe Sam partially because Dean did the same thing. Dean took a year off to have a normal life and it made him feel kind of empty inside (even though he genuinely did care about his new family). He probably figures that after everything those two have been through, Sam, deep down probably felt the same way.

Unfortunately the writers have not seen fit to reference the fact that Sam just followed Dean's example. The difference is that unlike Sam, Dean has never known a life without hunting.

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Dean just does not want to lose the only friend he has.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that Dean is really trying convince himself that Sam really doesn't want to go on hunting. He's in total denial. He doesn't want to do it on his own.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Lightning and thunder in the first episode, Mjolnir in the second, and Thor's name dropped in the third. I wonder what's going on with that.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Supernatural is merging with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. :shifty:

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Dean is in denial and Sam has reneged on his "normal life" promises before. They'll be having this same argument when they're 80. :rommie:

I thought this was a good episode. Very clever use of mythology interacting with the modern phenomenon of organ transplants. Although I did think that they let the wife off easy-- her hands were definitely dirty.