The supernova that destroyed Romulus

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by EJA, Aug 27, 2009.

1. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

On the assumption that the supernova in 2387 originated outside the Romulan star system, is it at all possible that a star exploding in one system could be dangerous to the inhabitants of a nearby system? I think the supernova must have happened fairly close to the Romulan system for the shockwave to have reached it so quickly.

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Supernovae pose a serious threat to nearby star systems, but not in the way it's described in the movie. The shockwave would be dangerous only if the system is really close, because it disperses fairly fast (since space is empty and there is little medium to propagate it). On the other hand, supernovae produce a lot of X and gamma rays, that could fry the surface of a nearby planet, even in a different system.

But to have an effect like the one seen in the movie (and especially to threat the whole galaxy), something very sci-fi have to be in effect. Probably subspace-y, too, given how quickly it reached Romulus.

3. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Commander Red Shirt

Oh god I remember when I saw it on cinema. I felt really stupid for watching it. :rolleyes:

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Did the supernova not destroy Romulus in the revised timeline?

5. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Well it's still well over a hundred years away as of the latesy movie's current timeframe, so that's plenty of time for things to alter.

6. Deckerd

Ah a cliffhanger eh?

7. iguana_tonante

I'm not sure I understand.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think we can say anything definite about the distance and speed of the supernova effect that did in Romulus in the movie. It may have moved fast, or then not... Movie time, you know.

Whether it took Romulus by surprise is a different question from whether it moved fast. "Superior" is the other word for "Romulan"; half the population probably wouldn't have believed they were facing death even if it raced towards them at 300,000,000 m/s, creeping closer and closer by the day. :vulcan:

Timo Saloniemi

9. Tallis Rhul

Tallis Rhul Commander Red Shirt

I'm hoping this will be explained in the next film...

In Star Trek: Countdown, the 4-part comic book tie-in, which is supposed to provide the main timeline causality for Trek XI, it is mentioned by Spock that there are "disturbing energy fluctuations" within the Hobus star, which could potentially indicate that there is something more at play than just a normal supernova. Given the scale of the disaster they're facing and the timeframe over which it spins out, none of the major players get a chance to analyse the star in a huge amount of depth, only to confirm that it is a major danger to Romulus (in the case of Spock and the Vulcan Science Academy).

10. Wally

Wally Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Plus, Spock-Prime knows it's coming and will be prepared this time.

11. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    so this happened after the next generation romulus episodes right...
    what is the time in any of those episodes compared to the one they gave in this movie?

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

If I remember right, the destruction of Romulus is supposed to be set 8 years after the events shown in Nemesis and about 18 years after those of "Unification" -- someone speak up if that's not correct. The Jellyfish ship's computer gives the year as 2387.

13. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Prime Universe sequences took place in 2387, which is a fair number of years after Nemesis.

The latest date in the Alternate Reality created by the Narada's arrival in 2233.04 established on film brings us to 2258, leaving plenty of time to prevent the Hobus star from going Nova.

This thread could be picked up in the next movie, in a subtle way, but the discovery of some kind of volatile, multi-phasic material in the core of the Hobus star, which would indicate an incredible level of energy that if released, would send an energy wave at warp through the Subspace domain, disrupting the fabric of normal Space near areas of large mass, such as Planets, Moons or Stars.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just how many times do we have to say: The destruction of Romulus ocurred in 2387, eight years after Nemesis.

Oh sorry, I forgot where I was. I'll re-write the statement in a way that folks in this forum will understand.

The destruction of Romulus ocurred in 02387, 08 years after Nemesis.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I just wished a quick line was put in the movie saying the super nova came from a nearby star that breached sub space making the shock wave reached Romulus in a matter of seconds.

Something along the lines cause it would of fixed a few issues with that bit of film.

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Your continued beating of a dead horse about zeros have gotten old and annoying, even if it's only in jest, especially since it has nothing to do with the OP's question. Thanks, but enough is enough.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I'd say it's beyond jest when he's reached the point of looking down at everyone who thinks differently than he does on here.

18. Deckerd

I hundred-year cliffhanger. It was supposed to be funny. I'll get me coat.

19. iguana_tonante

I think my funny bone needs polishing. :(

:lol:

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Gamma Ray Burst