Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That he was specifically ordered to?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So what's Abrams trying to say when the Japanese guy is ordered to fight with a sword?

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could tell you but that would ruin it. I must maintain the mystery.

4. The Mirrorball Man

You're raising an interesting point here, because that's exactly how Abrams' mind works: everything in his movie is a platonic ideal. What Abrams really means is that all Japanese guys fight with ninja swords, all women are phone operators, all doctors are divorced and all people born in space have blue eyes.

5. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hasn't anyone here seen "The Naked Time?" I don't think Abrams-Trek is doing anything original, but he did do something here that was in Sulu's character. It wasn't a Samurai Sword. It was a normal, 23rd century sword. It saved Kirk's life. And Pike asked for "hand-to-hand" combat, Sulu said he was trained in "fencing." Not much fencing done with samurai swords. He let the Asian guy be the hero. That's not how it usually goes in these types of movies.

As a matter of fact, The Naked Time was supposed to have a samurai sword. But George Takei wanted to be one of the Three Musketeers instead. So they appeased him and he danced around, without his shirt on, using a regular sword. And it was a part of Sulu's heritage. That's what the writer's were trying to do.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My point exactly. Abrams is a close-minded fool who only caters to sterotypes.

Hell, I don't know what's more offensive, catering to the sterotype that all green girls are sluts, or not getting an actual green girl for the part. Yeah, that's right, Uhura's roommmate was a white girl in greenface!

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Armor? He, Kirk and the redshirt were wearing the same thing.

A call back to the very episode you're thinking of.

8. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, good point!

I really don't buy into the whole "'Code of Honor' is racist" thing, however. Just because they are played by black actors? So what?

Crappy episode? Yes. Racist? Not really. No more racist than that sesaon 7 wesley episode about cliche native americans smoking peyote.

That discussion is probably for another thread, though. Namely this one : http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=198583

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  9. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Hmm, seems more like you're the close-minded fool who believes that stereotyping exists where a large portion of this board, and I do mean a very large portion, believe otherwise.

It's interesting that these arguments are still happening after four years, kinda proves the effectiveness of Abrams Trek in reinvigorating the franchise!

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Let's have no name-calling aimed at other posters, please; there's a rule about that. It ought to be obvious that Wormhole isn't being completely serious anyway.
    ... don't tell him I said that.

11. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

You see stereotyping, I see an homage to the character - to each his own.

Good luck finding a woman who's actually green. I hear it's not easy.

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

And Quinto's not a real Vulcan! He's an actor with false ears. They couldn't have tried harder to find a qualified pointed-eared person to play that role? What is this, the 1950s?

For what it's worth -- and that's very little -- in ST09 Sulu said he was trained in fencing, which is Spanish or Italian in origins. Again, for what it's worth.

The only thing wrong with Sulu or any other character fighting with a sword, knife, epee, sabre, switchblade, dagger, or whatever is it's as anachronistic as hell. Just like the numerous fist fights in Trek. Why no one carries two phasers (because they seem to have a way of losing one at key moments) or packs a hidden side arm is beyond me. But being unarmed and fighting with your dukes or a knife is the estabilished Trek way, and I accept it. They've obviously never heard the rule, "Never bring a knife to a gunfight."

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  13. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The characters in Abrams Trek are very broad but that's just his approach. Everything is louder, including the characterisation.

I have a dream that one day Star Trek in film will be a science-fiction series about exploring the unknown or the human condition. Catering to the lowest common denominator with a vengeful villain in a fucking black trenchcoat going on a rampage is less my kinda thing. It's treating the audience like they're stupid. Which the target audience is, but I'd like Trek to aim higher.

The opening of the film sounds more like Star Trek than anything in the rest of the movie.

14. The Mirrorball Man

At this point you're just randomly shuffling the same keywords, aren't you?

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm sure one day, you and the five others like you will get the movie you crave while us drooling masses continue to enjoy least common denominator fare. :rolleyes:

16. DalekJim

I hope so too :). Sadly, I looked at the teaser trailer for Abrams Trek III and it looks like more of the same.

*Paramount Logo*

*Kirk is looking solemn while Pike conducts another boring, incomprehensible rant*

Pike: You have honour. But you lack disicipline. Your father was a great fighter, and in the field of battle.. the fence is always open.

*Shot of a ship exploding*

*Uhura is giving Spock a blowjob in the turbo-lift*

*Shot of a planet exploding*

*Shot of a building exploding*

*A woman screams in slow motion*

*Scotty pulls a face to humour the thick people in the audience*

Scotty: AH CANNAE TAKE EET ANY MORE CAPTAIN!

*Scotty proceeds to fall over*

*The Enterprise crashes in to a duck pond*

*One-dimensional Vengeful Villain appears in a room pitch-black yet full of lens-flare*

Vengeful Villain: BLOW THEM ALL OUT OF THE SKY!

*Title and release date*

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yes it looks like a trailer for a major action adventure film.

18. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Oddly enough, biased exaggerations aside, that pretty much describes TOS and all of Trek down through time. And that descrition will probably bring in $300 million just in the U.S.

When was Trek ever anything other than a fun romp? It's a well done action-adventure series with interesting characters. That's all it was, and it's all it will be. I've never been sure where people find the gravitas in Trek other than what they read into it themselves.

It's like Beatles fans who take the songs too seriously. John Lennon got disgusted with fans who would try to analyze the lyrics of his songs for themes and meanings that he never intended to be there. He was just trying to write a commercially successful song, not enlighten anyone or make one think. They may have been clever and well done, but they were only as deep as fans wanted to make them. If it connected with you in some personal way, wonderful. But "connecting with you" wasn't his intention. It's a pop song. He was out to sell as many records as he could and make money.

Just enjoy the music for what it is. Have fun. Drop the pretense that it's important.

19. DalekJim

You seriously don't see how The Cage or The Motion Picture resemble literary science-fiction more than Abrams Trek?

That's the approach I prefer. Stories driven by ideas and not action. I'm in the minority but I refuse to be spat on for it. I was watching DS9's Duet earlier and loved it. Nuanced characterisation and not at all patronising unlike this Obi-Wan Pike business.

But I'm sure the Abrams acolytes will be here to tell me that Abrams Trek made more money so it's better. Completely missing the point, as per usual.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You seriously don't read your posts before clicking the submit button?