What happened to the Colonoel who shot Li Nalas?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by WesleysDisciple, Feb 13, 2014.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

ANy idea what happened to him?

Think he even got a fair trial.

or think they were in a lynching mentality towards someone who murdered a celebrated warhero.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Colonel Day? Probably still in a Bajoran prison.

3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

It probably would not apply to Day, but doesn't Bajor have the death penalty?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

^ They've never talked about it on the show. We have no idea if Bajor does things like that.

5. Bad Thoughts

^I seem to remember something about the death penalty, either for the exile who fingers Bareil or for the secretary who poses as the Gul.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

You mean Kubus Oak? There wasn't any mention of a death sentence for him, just exile. Although in the end, Winn gave him sanctuary on Bajor (though that was probably revoked after Winn's death and he was exiled again).

What Gul? :confused:

7. Bad Thoughts

From Duet.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Oh, you mean Marritza? I'm sure the Bajoran who killed him was imprisoned but we never found out for sure. That's probably all that happened, though. Especially since (as Odo said in an earlier episode) the Bajoran government tended to take it rather lightly when a Bajoran killed a Cardassian.

9. Bad Thoughts

No. Don't they want to execute the gul whom Marritza impersonated?

10. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, that is correct.

After Marritza begs Kira to still be tried as Darheel and punished accordingly, Kira states

"What you're asking for is another murder, enough good people have already died. I won't help kill another"

Looks like Bajoran law allows for execution of Cardassian war criminals even though I'm not sure about those guilty of serious crimes not associated with the Occupation.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Oh, I get it. If Marritza really had turned out to be Darhe'el, he might have earned a death sentence, I suppose. Darhe'el was a war criminal of the worst kind, so if anyone deserved the death penalty, it'd be somebody like him. But we can only speculate. I think it's likely that for *most* crimes, Bajor doesn't have such a thing. Only for the most extreme cases.

12. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think he got an all-expense (one-way) trip to Empok Nor.

13. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh I think Kai winns patsy her and Bareils first episode also feared execution...

But even in modern america, we dont give the death penalty for murder commited in fits of rage.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Ah, but if you watch the episode, Kainon (the Bajoran who killed Marritza) was clearly not enraged. Smirking, maybe, but not enraged. Kainon simply had a racial prejudice against Cardassians, that's all.

15. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Really Day was trying to shoot Sisko and Li Nalas took the bullet, so there it wasn't his intention.

He probably spent life as a pariah and was either murdered by someone who blamed him for killing an icon or committed suicide because he couldn't deal with it.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

But wouldn't it be just as much of a crime (under Bajoran law), if not more so, to try to kill the Emissary?

17. Bad Thoughts

^After having been exposed as an agent of the Cardassians? I suspect that there are limits to Bajoran mercy, and killing a war hero when attempting to assassinate a religious icon crosses them.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Day was an asshole, but he wasn't a Cardassian agent. In fact I think he refused to believe that the Cardassians were the ultimate power behind the Circle. In that regard, Day was in denial more than anything.

19. Bad Thoughts

Not consciously a Cardassian agent, of course. However, it's possible that such distinctions make little difference when the temperature of Bajoran politics reaches its boiling point, especially given the murder/assassination attempt occurred after Cardassian involvement had been revealed.

I agree that execution seems unlikely, but it was an option that the Bajorans seemed to have reserved for at least some of the people they considered to be war criminals, if not traitors.