Has anyone written stories/novels about the USS Hera?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tranya, Nov 29, 2008.

1. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

Y'know, Geordi's mom's ship from "Interface." If memory serves, there's no resolution to her ship's disappearance -- have any of the SNW stories or any of the novels ever addressed her fate? I can't find anything on Memory Alpha nor on Memory Beta.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, I don't believe anyone's done anything with that, though I've thought about it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Indeed - I've pitched a thing covering that very subject earlier this year. And I doubt I'm the only one.

So, I guess the answer for tranya may be...

"Wait and see, or at least hope and pray"

And maybe start a petition- hey, if there's a market for it, I'm sure TPTB will come knocking on some of our doors

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where's the petition for me to sign? I think a Hera adventure would be pretty cool.

5. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seconded.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you guys mean a story just about the Hera, something with Geordi finding out what happened to it? Because I would deffinitely be up for either of those, although if given a choice I'd prefer the latter story.

7. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

You can add me to the list of people interested in seeing the story told.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Well I mean both.

But I'm probably not the only person who's pitched such an idea, *and* it's not the only Trek thing I've got awaiting responses, so who knows what the future holds.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I've always thought that was a huge dangling loose end . . . .

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually I kind of feel the same way about the Hera that I feel about resurrections: namely, that I'm reluctant to give into the impulse to resolve everything in a satisfying way. In reality, loose ends happen. People disappear and nobody ever finds out what happened to them. That would probably be very common with explorer starships. There are bound to be Starfleet families who lose their loved ones and never learn the reason why.

So yeah, I've been tempted to do a story bringing back the Hera, but I'm not sure it would be the right thing to do. Maybe what would be better would be a story that revealed to the audience what happened to the Hera, but without a miraculous return or reunion or whatnot, without Starfleet or Geordi ever getting answers. Maybe without the ship and crew even surviving.

11. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought it was a perfect opportunity for VOY to pick up the Hera, perhaps in the storyline that instead became "Equinox." I can see that there were reasons why they didn't, but the situations were so similar that it felt like an obvious fit.

12. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

I personally think that'd be the most satisfying way to do it -- otherwise, it seems to cheapen Geordi's suffering in "Interface."

13. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think a standalone Hera novel would be great. Occasional books on mentioned starships is a brilliant idea.

Go pitch...go...go

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I could possibly see a short story anthology like this (though I'm not sure what to title it... Star Trek: Ships That Were Mentioned In Passing In This One Episode That One Time?), but a line of novels? That'd be a tough sell.

That said... dibs on Lisa Cusak and the Olympia!! :D

15. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Can I have the "other" Captain Shelby and the Sutherland? :D

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It's not that I'm curel or anything, I just think it would be more interesting in terms of character development, and story potential.

17. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

All I need is a few details, such as the bridge crew, & the general time period / sector it disappeared in.

"Star Trek: Mandela"
    "Forgotten Voyages"

August 2383:
    Admiral Katherine Janeway assigns Captain Morgan Bateson and the Legacy-Class Mandela the task of retracing the last steps of the pre-Dominion War "M.I.A." Nebula-Class U.S.S. Hera (NCC-62006) & its' Captain, Silva LaForge.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Starfleet_starships_ordered_by_class

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I entirely agree - recently they have been giving the character Wolverine an extensive backstory - and boy does it suck. Sometimes, it's better to just leave the mystery.

19. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't want to see a bringing them back. It would cheapen the whole episode. But I would love to read about what happened to them.

I like to think that even though there is always optimism in trek it is in the face of a harsh universe where we are surrounded still by death and loss. Too many times in trek everything is resolved. Which is why I like the direction the novels have taken, such as keeping Data dead.

I am still unimpressed with
    the loss of Janeway, but I don't think I would like to see her come back. I want to see how our characters deal with pain and loss, and have the hurt continue.
    We see our characters dealing with pain or loss, but by the end of the episode what they lost is back and all is happy.
    Kind of like "Inner Light." Look at all Picard lost! But then the next episode it is forgotten completely.

Which is why I was so glad the Christopher dealt with the ramifications of that episode! I always thought if I were a trek author I would want to do that. And I am glad he did, and I approve of the way he did it.

20. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed, while learning what did happen to the Hera would be nice, the fact that we haven't found out is a nice tie to reality, and the reality is that, when exploring the unknown, it's inevitable that a ship would go missing. Truthfully, the only reason we're even discussing the Hera in particular is because of the captain of the ship being Geordi's mother.

I like Christopher's thought about a story that tells us, as the audience, what happened, but leaves Starfleet or Geordi in the dark, and, cruel as it may seem, the ship destroyed and the crew dead. It'd be nice to know, but them surviving, and especially after... what, ten years after being lost? That would really feel like it's undermining and cheapening the event.

That said, though... How many stories have actively involved Geordi's reactions to the loss of the Hera? That's another thing that should have had follow-up on the series but didn't, and I'm glad to see that it's actually getting coverage now.