Revisiting Arrested Development

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by tomalak301, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no plans for the rest of this weekend, so I'll probably be done watching the new episodes by Monday night. Would it be okay if we used spoiler tags in here? If not I will just discuss the episodes elsewhere.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can discuss them whereever you want except here. I kind of hope this thread remains spoiler free, as I am only on Season 2.

3. tomalak301

Jack McBryer was in Arrested Development? That was awesome, and this character reminded me so much of Kenneth from 30 Rock. Also nice to see Lucille Austero back in Season 2.

4. tomalak301

Tonight on Arrested Development we had some of the most amazing hand puns you would ever hear, the return of Maggie Lisner, the return of Amy Poehler ("If her name was Amy, it could be Blamey" - Gob :guffaw: ), and the epic George Michael lightsaber dance on video tape.

This show is freaking amazing. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

5. tomalak301

Finished Season 2 and started Season 3 tonight. Great way to end the season, and that fight on the court grounds was hilarious. I did have a question though. Did I just miss it or did George Michael and Ann break up. Was it over the whole protest thing? Again, we have more hints that Maeby and George Michael aren't Cousins, a call back to the first season.

I remember when Season 3 was originally on and it kind of turned into the Michael and the Charlize Theron character show. Of course I didn't have the backstory so maybe I will appreciate it better. I'm 11 episodes away from starting Season 4 and being able to talk about it.

6. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Mr. F......

7. tomalak301

Que?

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait for it.

9. tomalak301

Well, I got through the Rita episodes and I can finally understand what the whole Mr. F thing was about. However, it kind of felt like I was watching a different show with this storyline. It did feel like the Michael and Rita show, and the rest of the cast was pushed to the back. When I got to Prison Break-in, it felt like the old Arrested Development was back.

I will say I'm not really enjoying Season 3 as much as season 1 or 2. Yeah there are some funny scenes, but some of these storylines aren't all that great, especially what Tobias is going through this season.

10. tomalak301

Were they just going for broke on the references (And no longer being subtle at the end of Season 3? I mean these episodes appear dated (In a good way) because it feels like if you go back and watch them, you remember where you were at that time. For example, William Hung and the whole American Idol thing. What was the point of him exactly, other than being on the same network? Also, the episode that featured the charity was pretty much them saying "we are desperate to not get cancelled, but we know we are so screw you all". I'm not saying the episodes aren't funny, because they are, but I get the sense that the 3rd season was so uneven and the fear of cancellation affected the various storylines.

I still think George Michael is the most likeable character on this show. He finally got to kiss his cousin, and they still keep throwing in hints that Maeby isn't his cousin so I still think it's normal.

I've got three episodes to go and then maybe I might as well ask the mods to close this thread. I asked to keep spoiler free and everyone left. :(

Oh well.

11. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Sorry! I made the other thread to try and head off people spoiling your thread with stuff from the new season.

12. tomalak301

Oh don't get me wrong, I knew people would want to talk about it but this thread should have been called something along the lines of a first time viewing thread. Other than the first season and half of season three, I am watching this series for the first time. Its been quite a ride.

13. tighr

William Hung = hung jury. It was a pun. Just like Judge Reinhold being an actual judge ("My name is Judge!!").

The whole American Idol thing was like two years before that episode aired, so it was probably more for the joke than for capitalizing on his popularity. His fifteen minutes were already up by that point.

Sorry! We just don't want to spoil your fun, and there is still so much you haven't seen yet!

14. tomalak301

I got the hung jury part, but it didn't seem like AD Subtle like other episodes where.

I also started season 4 tonight. (And watched the first series finale) So far it's interesting, but I'm not really feeling the comedy feel yet. I hear it improves, but I actually thought the George Sr. episode was boring, and what did Hurwitz do with Michael. I want the old Michael back.

15. tighr

The two George Sr. episodes are probably the worst.

And regarding Michael, I look at it this way: For 5 years, he tried to do it on his own, and failed. He's just as terrible a person as the rest of the Bluths, maybe even MORE so because he has a false sense of superiority over his family. In season's 1-3, he does some terrible things but always justifies it in that he's better than the rest of the family.

Think about how much Michael complains about Buster's relationship with Lucille, and then contrast that with how he treats George Michael in seasons 1-3 (and especially in the first episode of season 4). It's exactly the same, but he doesn't want to admit it because he thinks he's better. He does some terrible things in the rest of season 4 also, but always tries to justify it.

16. tomalak301

I'm not sure if I should post in here or in the other Arrested Development thread since I'm deep in Season 4, but I just watched Lindsey's second episode and I'm really liking this season. Is it as funny as the previous seasons? Not really, but I'm liking the format more than anything else. It's one story, but from each character's point of view and watching it quickly, it's easy to allow the gaps to be filled from prior episodes. For example, in Michael's second episode, we get a talk with him and his father about being in the movie, but the writers have been so meticulous about what dialoge to add. In the next episodes, it's almost like watching deleted scenes from that one scene and I'm finding this kind of clever actually. I can understand why people are saying it might be good to rewatch it after you finish the season and get more. Not sure when I will (I kind of want to go back to watching TNG Remastered, Season 3, soon) but I think I might do that. From what I understand it seems like this story goes from a few weeks before Lucille's trial, to a day or so after the Quatro de Mayo celebration.

As for the episodes themselves, the Gob episode was the best, but I also liked the Lindsey and Tobias episodes. Tighr, you're right that the George Sr. episodes were the weakest but there were positive points to them. I'm even starting to warm up to Michael, who after the shock of the first episode, seems to be going back to his roots. He might have always been this way, but what I didn't like was Michael living with his son in the dorm and really getting personal. That was so awkward.

Also, if there is one thing I am not liking about this season it's that Maeby is getting barely any screen time. The episode I just watched might have been the most she has gotten so far and man did Sawkat (?) age gracefully. She looks great now and I'm really looking forward to the long awaited Maeby episode.

17. tighr

Maeby and George Michael get much more screen time in the back half of the season.

I just finished my rewatch, and it was much funnier the second time through. Especially picking up all the foreshadowing!

18. tomalak301

Finished the season last night, and I think I might be all Arrested Development'ed out. It was a pretty good season (My favorite episodes were probably the Maeby, Buster and Gob episodes) that left things open for the future. I'm not sure if I like that they made everyone, including George Michael, on this show unlikable, but maybe I can take solace in the fact that they were all unlikable from the very beginning. They did leave things open and the plot did get a little convoluted, but I'm expecting to like it better on the rewatch, whenever that will be.