New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tom Riker, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

with Earth under terrorist attack from Benedict Cumberbatch's ex-Starfleet employee John Harrison, Kirk is this time forced into a rash decision that breaks a critical Starfleet command, puts his crew in danger & costs him his captain's chair. Now out of uniform and dressed down in space civvies of black leather jackets and boots, our three heroes have separated from the Enterprise and headed off on a mission to try and rectify his mistake...

http://blastr.com/2013/01/new-star-trek-into-darkne.php

Holy crap, Pine did say Kirk had to earn his command in this movie.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds exciting, but it reads like a first draft. Does anyone edit these?

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

What it actually reads like is an interpolation of the official synopsis with a few stray details - some perhaps speculative - by a writer at Empire. It's unlikely this was released as a synopsis by the studio.

4. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree; the language used sounds odd. Why didn't Empire just tell us where the synopsis comes from?

Plus, who are "our three heroes". Normally, I would assume Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (and I would prefer that). However, I have a funny feeling that it's Kirk, Spock, and Uhura (based on the "spy images" we saw earlier and based on the fact that I think Abrams wants to push Uhura into the limelight to give some gender balance to the main plot players).

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

OK, but then does anybody edit these at Empire? ;)

"... a mission to try and rectify his mistake." UGH!

"... are headed off...." Headed off is past tense, as in "had headed off". "... are heading off...." is better.

And it's sad to see our heroes are separated from the Enterprise. I hope it doesn't end in a messy divorce.

Meh, I'm just being anal retentive I guess.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

It's an Internet world; spelling and grammar are assumed to be disposable.

7. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The part that really gets me is...

"Now out of uniform and dressed down in space civvies of black leather jackets and boots"

What? :wtf:

8. Jackson_Roykirk

Odd wording aside, I think it's possible that someone at Empire (or some who knows someone at Empire) learned some actual details about the film. What I'm saying is that the gist of this synopsis (no matter how badly written) may still be valid and accurate.

9. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeh describing them as 'space civvies' and then go on to describe them seems a bit odd, if it were me I would have just written "Now out of uniform, our three heroes have separated from the Enterprise and headed off on a mission to try and rectify his mistake..."

Same with describing Harrison as an ex-employee

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure this is from the Empire article, not Paramount pictures.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

It's also possible, and far more likely, that one of their writers is blowing smoke.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ye, agree, it looks like some "reporter" took the released synopsis, and the released trailers and snap shots and summed them up in their own way with their own twist on it.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Correct.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only thing that gets me is when they describe John Harrison as an ex-Starfleet employee.

But really, weird wording seems to be the norm for ysnopsis of this movie. "Detonate the fleet" anyone?

15. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Commander Red Shirt

Oh God, I thought I was the only one bothered by that.

16. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're not being anal retentive, not at all. Thing is, you may not be taking into account dialect differences.

"Headed off" can be used in a descriptive way, as an adjective.

"Try and rectify" is also acceptable.

It's a matter of dialect, trust me. The "and" thing sounded just fine to me when I first read it, and after you brought up "headed off" I went back, re-read it, thought about it, and realized it was also familiar. Less so, but familiar nonetheless.

Let's face it, if "lift" and "elevator, "apartment" and "flat", "boot" and "trunk" and "hood" and "bonnet" can, in each case, be two ways of saying exactly the same thing...

Certainly there can be variations with regards to how things are phrased. If common nouns can vary so much, expressions and phrasings can too.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Jackson_Roykirk

Not the "Ex" part.

Here is what Abrams said in Japan:
    Source

Unless, of course, he could be considered an "ex-member" of Starfleet as soon as he does whatever dastardly thing it is that he does.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Couldn't they have just said "former Starfleet officer" as opposed to "ex-employee." Hell, calling him an officer makes him sound a lot more interesting and exciting than employee.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Works for" and "ex-employee" don't sound military. He may not be an officer at all. Perhaps he's a civilian scientist who does work for Starfleet (see: Carol Marcus, Wrath of Khan version), hence him not having a coloured smock over the generic black shirt.