Bridge Ceiling / Dome

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jaygibson77, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...There's also the problem that if you inserted fancy new VFX beyond the top dome, you'd then have to explain why none of the heroes are paying any attention to it!

Timo Saloniemi

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

"Captain, look up! A Borg ship!"

Crew crane their necks.

"Hang on, I'll just put it on screen."

"Make it so.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never got that argument. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't the command centres on aircraftcarriers and other military vessels located on top of a tower on the deck of the ship? I could be wrong ofcourse, but if that's true, I've never heard anyone complain about that.

4. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

Navigation bridge is usually up there. And that is used in peace time condition, when the visibility of the area surrounding the ship is of utmost importance. Like coming into port or navigating a busy shipping lane.

Fighting the ship is done from Combat Information Center (CIC) and that is situated belowdecks. CIC is one of the best protected parts of the ship.

Regarding the location of bridges in Star Trek. I don't think it really matters where the bridge is. The primary defense of a starship are her shields and when those go down, the ship is in big trouble. Sure the exterior bridge might provide a nice spot for aiming, but we've also seen a photon torpedo punching clean through the unshielded saucer section or the Borg cutting beams slicing through starships like they were made of butter. And sensors probably can pinpoint a buried command center just as well.

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for clearing that up for me, about the Navigation Bridge and CIC.