TOS: From History's Shadow by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jul 21, 2013.

?

Rate From History's Shadow.

1. Outstanding

24 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Above Average

24 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Average

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: TOS: From History's Shadow by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!

It is but he also included a storyline about a certain Vulcan character from Carbon Creek .and he wants to write future Star Trek books that take place In Archer's era and leads to Kirk's era. It's a good interview with Dayton discussing writing his latest novel..;)

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a solid piece of work and has various bits and bobs for people who like to spot references to the TV series - worth picking up if like counter-history stuff.

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Got my copy today and expect to start tomorrow.

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm rather hoping Christopher has the Archer era all sewn up for the foreseeable future...

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It links to that era but in a way that doesn't step on anyone's toes - except for the bit where he reveals that Archer thought that crack was pretty 'moreish'.

6. Reanok

I like Christopher's Enterprise novel but I also think it would be neat to see Dayton write some Enterprise novels too.I'd think it would be interesting to see what stories he'd could come up with in the Enterprise era.He's done an excellent with the Enterprise storyline with Mestral in this novel and the temporal cold war.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I miss the Temporal Cold War.

8. Ronald Held

Just started and am not certain how well it will proceed. If there is no temporal cold war in the 20th century that would be fine by me.

9. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Just finished and after some internal debate rated it outstanding.

At first I was just going to give it an above average. But after some thinking there was one important thing that pushed it up to the top.

A unique point of view.

Here's the thing, as Trek fans we are on the "inside" we look at the events of things like Little Green Men, or Assignment: Earth knowing for the most part who every one is and what is going on. While there might be characters and moments that at first we are unsure of for the most part we know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are, and we know how the future within this reality turns out.

But take away that knowledge. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who's only certainty is that there are alien beings (after all he's met them). In the fullness of time he learns that some aliens want to help, but some don't. Some want to destroy us. Imagine what a frightening place the world would be with that knowledge. Now even worse imagine that most everyone else has no such certainty on the matter and even worse you are restrained from ever sharing what you know.

Suddenly the history that we know takes on a new darker tint. Suddenly the fear and suspicion with which Starfleet officers from the future have been greeted with by people in the past doesn't seem quite so silly or backwards. Sure *WE* know that they are the good guys. But for people living in the moment they don't.

Another delight of this book for me was that it was my favorite type of Trek novel, namely a connect the dots story where multiple episodes are connected together in a coherent narrative framework. CTD novels are not easy to do well. Often they come off as interesting but not really standing on their own merits. In some ways I will confess that I almost wish this novel had stayed rooted in the past and left off the "present" day bits, but it's a small wistful comment and not a real complaint.

Over all it was very well done, the characters were well drawn, and I was so caught up that even I was caught a bit by surprise by Voyager's appearance in '96.

10. Ronald Held

About 100 pages in. Finding it slow going.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How much of this takes place in the 20th Century and how much is in 23rd? I don't need a page count, just a rough idea is enough.

12. Reanok

Most of this story takes place in the 2oth century except for brief chapters that take place on The Enterprise. It begins in the 1940s and moves forward through a lot of history up to the space race .Theres some great storytelling in this book Sputnick and the founding of NASA trying to get men on the moon.I don't want to post too many spoilers for those people who haven't gotten the book yet will really enjoy this book if you like the history of spaceflight.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, thanks for the info!

14. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

150 pages in and I'm loving it so far.. There's a nod to "Little Green Men"

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't heard about this book until now. I'm sure its a decent book, but I can't stand anything related to Gary Seven, so I won't be reading it.

16. Reanok

:bolian:I just finished reading this book and really enjoyed the story taking place for the most part in the2oth century. I would mind seeing Dayton writing a sequel to this book and bringing back Roberta Lincoln and Mestral again.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Nothing like complaining about a book you have no intention of reading. :rolleyes:

18. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

In all fairness he really didn't do that. Rather he simply stated that he wasn't interested and why he wasn't interested. I obviously don't share his problem (I honestly can't think of any character that would make me NOT read a Trek book) but at least he's forthright about his reasoning.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't trying to complain about it. I just hadn't heard about this book, but I saw this thread and looked it up. It stars characters/a story I despised in TOS (anything related to Gary Seven) so its not something I'll be reading. It is probably a good book, I just can't stand the subject matter. It was just a short post, I didn't mean to set anyone off :rolleyes:

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Dude. This is the internet. Whether you mean it or not, someone is always going to be set off by an opinion no matter how small the post :devil: