Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I read that after I asked the question lol. Yeah, I was hesitant over this, as I too love Carol's current costume. Plus this probably means we'll get a Marvel Legends variant next year :)

For those still wondering...Tom Brevoort once again states that there is no reboot post AVX.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37632

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't like her hair.
    Trivial, sure but I just don't go for that look.

3. Admiral_Young

It just means Katee Sackhoff can play Ms. Marvel in "Avengers 2" Craig ;) I trust they styled Carol's hair that way due to the military angle.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Bazinga!! I see what you did there. :lol: :techman:

5. Admiral_Young

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

A very Hope Summers heavy week for me, and I loved that two of these books had Cyclops and Wolverine face-to-face and neither of them said a word to the other in either one. :lol:

Generation Hope #17-- Gonna miss this series. The finale wraps up all of the hanging threads just in time for AvX. Kenji takes his Judas routine against Hope the messiah to the limit and has to be taken down. The ending looks bleak for Kenji, but given how these things work in comics, I'm sure he'll pull himself back together at some point.

Uncanny X-Men #9-- This was a lot of fun. The "final" team-up with the Avengers before AvX, as both teams attempt to clean up the mess after a break-out from The Peak, SWORD's holding facility. Brief mention is made of Storm being on both teams and Emma is back in action. The focus turns to Hope (Of course!) towards the end as a new mutant pops up on Cerebra and she leaves the Extinction Team in order to investigate with The Lights (minus Kenji, placing this after GenHope 17). Of course, it was a trap set for Hope by The Unit, a particulary nasty escaped PEAK prisoner, who captures her at the end.

Avengers: X-Santion #4-- This was the only issue of this series that I really enjoyed. I feel that this story could've been better told in an over-sized one-shot, but it does its job setting up AvX and confirms that Hope is the avatar for the Phoenix. I liked the way that Hope cured Cable of the Techno-organic virus, but as Cable has been cured of the virus before, I suspect he will relapse again before too long.

Kick-Ass 2 #7-- Wow. This issue lived up the books name as the final battle between heroes and villains erupts on the streets of NYC. The ending is a jaw-dropper that sets up the inevitable Kick-Ass 3. Before that can happen, however, we have the upcoming Hit-Girl mini that takes place between KA1 and 2.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  7. Admiral_Young

Kick-Ass #7 was simply incredible...damn Millar that bastard with the cliffhanger ending! I'm pretty sure he stated we'd get volume three down the road sometime...and yep the Hit-Girl mini comes out in June!

8. Turtletrekker

Actually, did you notice at the end of the issue that this was Volume 3? :eek: I assume that Hit -Girl will be book 2 and KA3 #4.

I swear that I remember Millar saying that Kick-Ass 3 will take place 10 years after KA2.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. Admiral_Young

Yep...that was a printing error, which should be corrected by the time it hits shelves with the hardcover. I remember Millar saying three would be ten years as well.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hitgirl was on 30 rock last week in a battle of wits with Alec Baldwin, not that I recognized her, so I'm saying to myself, "Hey, in 10 to 15 years, that girl is going to be quite something... Sweet Jesus it's Hitgirl!", when I mathed out that the world had already been waiting 5 years for this kid to grow up and doubled up on my sweet jesusing.

Hitgirl vs the Shadow.

Ultimately, not a fair fight.

11. Admiral_Young

12. Turtletrekker

Next weeks releases...

I'll be picking up...

Avengers vs. X-Men #0
    Avengers #24.1
    Daredevil #10
    Captain America and Bucky #628
    FF #16
    New Avengers #23

13. Admiral_Young

Let's see:

-Avengers Vs X-Men # 0 (It finally begins! Debating about starting a thread specific for Avengers Vs X-Men, since it is going to be huge)
    -Avengers 24.1
    -Avenging Spider-Man #5 (Peter teams up with Cap!)
    -FF #16
    -New Avengers #23 (the other half of the Hammer War finale...sigh)
    -Uncanny X-Force #23
    -X-Men: Legacy #264

14. Turtletrekker

Another new thread with "Avengers" in the title? That would make four, counting the movie thread, the A:EMH season 2 thread that I just started and this thread.

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just DAREDEVIL #10 for me.

16. Admiral_Young

@TurtleTrekker...at the risk of sounding like a movie studio exec, yeah it would be confusing I guess for some still...and some might think it was one of those who would win in a fight threads! Maybe we'll just stick to this thread since as I mentioned before, I did intend this thread to be a catch-all Marvel thread.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to remember, is FF continuing after Hickman leaves or is it folding back into a single Fantastic Four title? I read some of the stories and stuff about him leaving, but I can't remember what was said about FF.

18. Admiral_Young

I don't remember the status of FF post Hickman...FF#17 is to address the Spider-Man situation. As stated before and teased by the cover (he has his red and blue suit back and his FF suit off and is tapping Johnny on the shoulder who is sitting on the couch eating chips :) ) that Peter will leave the team but tell them he will respond if they need him in an emergency or something.

Also Ends of the Earth Part One was awesome...especially the final page, which is my avatar, we're in for another Dan Slott treat!

19. Turtletrekker

As for the non-AvX related Marvel releases...

FF 16-- It really sank in reading this issue how much I'm going to miss Johnathon Hickman when he leaves. Just about everything in this issue was pure gold, especially where Valeria was involved. From her thoughts about her older self -- "I don't like her. I don't like her at all". To older Valeria's verbal response, "Right back at you, kiddo". :eek::lol: To her thought about Bentley-- "Someday, when I'm older, I'm totally going to kiss him." :lol:

The conversation between older Franklin and "Galen" (and Franklin is probably the only who could get away with calling him that) was-- frankly a bit mind blowing.:eek:

The end with revelation that (SPOILER ALERT!) Doom survived his encounter with the Celestials and his discovery of all of the Dooms that the council of Reed's lobotomized made for a dark capstone for the whole "Council of Reeds" storyline. "The Parliament of Dooms", indeed. :eek: And, thanks to Val, Doom knows how to repair all of those Doom's minds. Yup, she's grounded for sure.:p

I like the updated uniforms. Next issue looks to be fun with Johnny moving into Pete's apartment.

New Avengers 23-- The already spoiled ending to the "Dark Avengers 2 saga". In the end, I liked this end of the story--"New Avengers vs New Dark Avengers"-- much better than the "Avengers vs Osborn" portion of the story in the "main" book. To the point that it's almost shocking that they were written by the same writer. I'm not a Bendis basher-- frankly I've mostly enjoyed his Avengers run-- but the Avengers leg of this inter-twined arc is probably my least favorite arc of his in his whole run.

Daredevil 10-- ARE YOU READING DAREDEVIL? You should be.

This continues to be one of Marvel's best books. The conclusion of the Mole Man arc was equally sad, disgusting, touching and creepy. That the Mole Man would do all of that for the reason that he did... *ugh*. :wtf::eek:

WHY AREN'T YOU READING DAREDEVIL? You should start.

The Mega-crime arc is forwarded by the revelations that Felicia did not betray Matt for the money and that his security is inadequate to hide the Omegadrive from Mega-crime. I'm glad Felicia didn't do it. She's one of those characters that you just never know about. I'm thinking that the reason that she's hooking up with the Defenders soon is for protection from the enemies she made here.

START NEXT ISSUE!! It's a cross-over with Avenging Spider-Man and The Punisher!

And as for the ending, have we seen the first cracks in Matt's happy-go-lucky facade? Is he going nuts? Or have Mega-Crime found a way to trick Matt's radar? To be continued...

Oh, and if I haven't mentioned it yet... Read Daredevil!

Oh, all right... Avengers vs X-Men 0-- As has been said in the other thread (although not by me), not much happens here. The Scarlet Witch has essentially been out of circulation in Marvel universe for about eight years of real time. There are a lot of new readers who know don't really know who she is. On the other side of the coin, we have Hope-- a fairly new but extremely important character that new and returning readers alike might not know. The two stories were entertaining, but in the end, probably skipable for those who are caught up with the story.

For what ever reason, my LCS didn't pull Captain America and Bucky for me, even though I saw it on the wall. Something else that was on the wall that I didn't see was Avengers 24.1. I wasn't specifically looking for it and my shop doesn't pull the .1 issues with your subscription. I really wish I had picked that one up, especially after reading the Scarlet Witch portion of AvX 0. I'll swing by the shop this weekend probably.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  20. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Daredevil is awesome. this weeks issue was good as always. loved the battle between Mole Man and DD. really looking forward to the upcoming Omega Effect arc. like Turtletrekker said, if you aren't reading DD... you should be.