Babylon 5 quotebook is finally here!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OmahaStar, Oct 9, 2008.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

But in Purple, I'm Stunning is finally here. Oh. My. Goddess.

http://www.cafepress.com/thejoestore

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

ok, so what are you looking for in response?

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I think a lot of people will be excited to see this because it was a project begun about 5 years ago. JMS made an online call for people to send in their favorite quotes but then the book never seemed to make it to finally being published. Seemed like every time it got close something would happen to stop it so the fans who've been waiting will be happy to see this.

Jan

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Though I sincerely hope this volume is still the success that the other books have been, I'm actually going to pass on this one. The primary reason is because I've put together my own collection of quotes. Not that it's superior in any way, of course. One thing I wasn't sure about, will these quotes be only for those scripts that jms wrote, or does it include material from other script writers?

5. OmahaStar

Everything Babylon 5 is open. That's what they said 7 years ago when this was started. It's not limited to just jms. Heck, it wasn't limited to just the series proper, it also had the movies and Crusade.

I'll have my copy, that's for darn sure. I've been wanting this since it was announced in 2001.

6. OmahaStar

I am providing information for people who want it. I know quite a few people have asked about this book, here, over the years. Now it's finally here, so I'm letting them know. If you're not interested, that's fine. No worries. :)

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Its cool-and the book sounds cool too. How to break the ice at a meeting(or deal with an interruption), ways to assert dominance over others, etc. Way cool.

8. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Neroon

I was just wondering since the scriptbooks were constrained by who had written each script. It seemed logical to think that the quotes might fall into the same category.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I have all the script books (a huge investment, to be sure), and I picked up the chronology book, too, but I'm not interested in this one. There's plenty of places online to pick up quotations, and since I have all the episodes on DVD and all the scripts to go along with them, this seems more than a little redundant.

Which is not to rain on the parade on anybody else who might be interested.

11. Neroon

Oh no, I understand, and not just because I'm in the same situation. At last count, my collection is at 356. Then again, some of those are longer, encompassing larger passages. Some of what was nominated by fans may be multiple portions of one of those larger passages. I've been debating whether to include "Crusade" quotes or not.

In any event, this book would make a wickedly cool gift for someone, particularly if they don't have all of the other access and resources.

12. Brian

What is this chronology book you speak of? :drool:

13. Neroon

It was announced in August and released in mid-September. Information should be available, or at least accessible, through the same link above. here, provided by Gill-man (many thanks to him, btw). Just click there and scroll farther down for the chronologies book, "Across Time and Space: The Chronologies of Babylon 5".

Essentially, it's a printed version of the Chronologies created by Terry Jones (not from Python fame :p) and another gentleman. Completely different works but both impressive. They cover the entire spectrum of events detailed in all of the B5 works - series, movies, books. Terry Jones' originally appeared in the official B5 magazine at one point.

14. Brian

:cool:

Is Cafe Press the only source for these?

15. Neroon

Yes.

The script books are no longer in print, at least the ones by jms.

16. OmahaStar

Psst ... September 30th was last week ...

17. Brian

I just bought the quotes and chronology books. :cool:

The script books were too expensive for my tastes, anyway.

18. Neroon

The Chronologies have been especially fascinating ever since I saw that first installment in the magazine. I cobbled my own in text form, but it has nowhere near the detail and accuracy of Jones' project. Even Marc Carlson's, which is more direct, is quite an achievement. I just plain do not have the discipline to create and maintain a project of this size to this level of detail.

Pssst ... I know, but I was at work earlier and couldn't verify the final date for Other Voices

19. Neroon

OKay, I gave in... when I saw the price it was going for - including the $5 discount - I couldn't resist. And the JMS essays will no doubt be very entertaining. Plus it does seem like it's going to be well organized.

[​IMG]

20. V

V Commodore Commodore

the problem is, while B5 was an okay show.....no one talks like that

its full of shakespearean histrionics

that is, rather than "being profound" its full of lots of qoutes TRYING to sound "profound", trying really hard

again, I point to "Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning" in which Pirk ultimately beats up the Babylon5 guy in the middle of yet another long-winded speech.

I mean, I know people who have spent literally hundreds of dollars on framed copies of the "Declaration of Principles"; and you know what? I think its just empty recycled rhetoric, rather than anything "profound" (on top of that, I don't believe it was correct on a more than "four legs good two legs bad" principle

problem is when characters shift from being "characters" to "a mouthpiece for a quote I came up with but couldn't organically integrate into the series"

further....this is a show that ended almost a decade ago