Its Gorn day on EW.com!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Feb 25, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The Gorn have always been one of my favorite alien species on ST, and in honor of the Gorn being featured in the JJAbrams based ST game, EW.com has named it Gorn day. It feautres the new design of the Gorn.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/02/25/star-trek-gorn-day/

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm still wondering if Spock Prime plopped New Vulcan down on Cestus III? :lol:

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the new-look Gorn, but I have serious reservations about their rumoured new backstory...
    They're from another galaxy, which they've conquered through eons of war. They invade ours via wormhole.
    ...which I cannot reconcile with "Arena", let alone what the novelverse (and Star Trek Online) have built up. It seems the writers of the game are treating nuTrek as a clean reboot and not an alternate reality in the same multiverse.

Not that that's a deal-breaker. It's just directly contrary to what the movie says, and Bob Orci confirmed (i.e. that history began to change when Nero appeared and started meddling) in 2009.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not sure I see a direct contradiction. There's very little known about the Gorn.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Where in "Arena" do we discover where the Gorn have come from? :confused:

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well...
    ...if these people were warmongers who controlled an entire galaxy (see HERE , there's no chance in hell they'd have stopped at Cestus III after what happened.

"Arena" was about a misunderstanding, not Kirk heading off an extra-galactic invasion.
    Of course, these reports could be wrong in some details. Maybe there's no contradiction. But I suspect they've just taken "lizard monster fighting humans" and built an entirely new story around it.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

One can't even reconcile those statements with what we see in the movie, so it's best not to take any of it seriously.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well what the novelverse (and Star Trek Online) have built up really isn't binding.

As for Arena maybe in the intervening decade the Gorn got a new government who didn't want to spend eons at war with another galaxy so they just stuck to the part they already conquered.

10. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

After enough time has passed, everyone writing nuTrek will be.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not getting it is the new getting it.