Is Spock a descendant of Robin from BATMAN? I have “evidence”.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Aquehonga, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Is Spock a descendant of Robin from BATMAN? I have “evidence”.

It was in the teaser of "Shuttlepod One" (season one, episode 16). Reed and Tucker get into a discussion about the merits of British literature versus American literature. Reed is reading Ulysses by James Joyce and makes some pejorative remarks about Americans not having an appreciation for culture or high-brow stuff. Tucker mentions learning a lot from Superman comics or something like that. But he does mention reading Superman comics.

2. dezibrya

dezibrya Cadet Newbie

Re: Is Spock a descendant of Robin from BATMAN? I have “evidence”.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's last direct descendant, his youngest daughter Lena Jean, passed away in 1997 with no children, so there are no remaining direct descendants of Arthur Conan Doyle. Even at the time of ST:VI's writing, she was in her late 70s, thus precluding the possibility of her having any children.

I would speculate that Spock was speaking metaphorically when he quoted Arthur Conan Doyle as an "ancestor" of his. Given Vulcans' near religious adherance to logic, it would seem likely that he would admire Doyle's use of logic and deductive reasoning in the exploits of his character Sherlock Holmes, perhaps even so far as to consider him a "kindred intellect," to borrow another line from ST:VI. Thus, perhaps Spock was using the word "ancestor" in two senses, 1.) in the greater sense that Doyle was a human who preceded Spock in life (simply implying his human ancestry if not necessarily blood-relation ancestry); and 2.) Arthur Conan Doyle was a predecessor of his who is lauded for his use of logic and deductive reasoning, and thus someone whom Spock may percieve in some uniquely Vulcan way as an "ancestor" of his.

3. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

While I agree with your post, I'm going to close this thread as it is long past it's "best used by" date and is dangerously close to the "brain-eating" date. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.