Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

^ You gotta learn to stop talkin' that crazy sense talk, man.

2. Rabid Trekkie

Rabid Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Some of the stories you mentioned aren't really Borg stories. Family for one thing is a Picard story first and foremost, and probably one of the best ones there was. Descent was more about Data and Lore than the Borg, and besides, the Borg that were there weren't really like the rest of the Borg in a few key areas. Blood Fever does nothing more than show a Borg corpse and a couple scared people, the majority of the show was spent with a crazy Vulcan. I don't remember "A Ribbon for Rosie" all that well but I don't remember much of a Borg story there. I don't think you can count ever episode with Seven as a Borg episode, because she is no longer a Borg. At most she is trying to integrate with a new society in a similar way to Data or Odo, perhaps even Spock from the other series. And I've searched through Memory Beta and I can't find anything about a Program 359, maybe they just don't have it listed but I was able to find just about everything else on your list.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^But I think that's just the point. What that list shows is that there's no uniformity to stories involving the Borg in one way or another -- that you can't make any assumptions about what a story will be like just because the Borg are involved in it in some way.

4. Rabid Trekkie

Rabid Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True, even from the episodes the Borg stories were different. Best of Both Worlds 1 and 2 is much different from Scorpion 1 and 2. Just from what I can remember off the top of my head we've had science gone wrong (Side Effects), zombie attacks (First Contact), seemingly unstoppable menace (Best of Both Worlds), we should learn our limits (Q Who?) and person leaving their societal group (I, Borg and many of the 7 of 9 eps) stories so its not like they are a one trick pony. Even if one tv series tried to portray them as such.

5. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

Really? I didn't know that, actually. That's why it took me three viewings to notice. As I said.

A pity, too, because I was originally going to use an example with The Chronicles of Narnia's parallels to Christianity, but dismissed it for precisely that reason.

You have, of course, information to which we do not have access. (I didn't realize you'd actually read the books... lucky you.) If you try to look at this from my perspective--a fan who won't read the books until autumn, and is basing everything off of "just a troika of 125-word cover blurbs"--I'm sure you'll see that I am not "cherrypicking" anything. From the information that is available to me, the little bits of story structure I can see reveals an A-plot nearly identical to that of AII--not exactly identical, just as no work is exactly identical to any other, but similar enough in enough respects to reveal a parallel. To claim that any parallel that fails to take into account 100% of available facts is "invalid reasoning" is simply disingenous. Exactly what sort of further "honest investigation" do you propose I do, short of finding out where Mr. Mack lives and stealing his manuscripts?

Of course, I might do that anyways. I really want to read this trilogy.

Anyhow, I never questioned Mr. Mack's integrity as a writer, and if any such inferrence was drawn by anyone who's read this thread (despite the big "don't take this as a slam" subclause), I hope to disabuse you of the notion right now. I'm more than certain any such similarites were purely coincidental, and that Destiny won't end with a battle between the allied Federation-Borg Fleet and Species 8472. I am well aware of the scanty information that is available to me compared to the final work, and was merely making an observation--one which, as an Armada fan, I found positively fascinating--and not attempting to create a self-justifying universe in which I assemble as many isolated facts as I can as part of a propaganda campaign with the ultimate goal of discrediting David Mack as a plagiarist and seizing his place on the Pocket Books High Council after slaying him in hand-to-hand combat.

Although, come to think of it, that's not all that bad an idea. We all know how much power, honor, and riches come of being a Star Trek writer.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I see very clearly that you are. You singled out two or three general similarities and ignored far more numerous points in both works that were totally dissimilar. If you don't think that's cherrypicking, then you don't understand what the word means.

And why are you still arguing about this long past the point when it's blindingly clear that your initial assumption was in error? The mature thing to do is to acknowledge that error, let it go, and move on. It's silly to try to justify reasoning that's already been shown to have led to an incorrect conclusion. And it's a waste of time to keep debating it, so I'm done.

7. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

Irritation. I cannot stand illogic. But it's clear that you're only too happy to ignore anything in my posts that contradicts your claims and jump right to the unfounded assertions of motive (I forgot to compliment you on the clever implication that I was either ignorant or "deliberately trying to mislead others." Your talent shines even in insult). Which is all a shame. I think you're a neat guy, and wasn't trying to pick a fight with you.

If you're done, I'm done. Harumph.

8. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, I'm seeing alot of Borgphobic remarks in this thread...I just wish people could get along. Sure, we may not understand their line of thinking and their "Add every civilization to their collective" philosophy but I'm certain some of our traditions must seem odd to them. Like golf. I think we need to be more accepting of our metallic hive-minded friends; they're people too, kinda.

9. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe Sarina was correct that Dax was destined for better things ........

"The day she realizes that she's more than just the sum of her parts, she's really going to be something."

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not a matter of being "Borgphobic". It's more like "Having the Borg being used over, and over, and over, and OVER, and OVER"-phobic. Or "The TNG relaunch not coming up with decent villains so they have to drive the Borg into the damn ground with every novel that comes out"-phobic.

And the Borg are not people. That's the whole POINT of the Borg. They are a mindless, faceless, implacable force of nature. That's all they are. That's all they were ever meant to be.

In this case, the Borg were good villains to use on Voyager, because the ship would eventually pass out of Borg space. The Borg are, or at least were supposed to be, unstoppable. (Q Who, anyone?) So in order to win against them, all you can do is run away.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  11. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

And that idea died with Q Who. Although I'd venture to say that Q Who didn't show us any enemy that is unstoppable (except perhaps Q himself). The Borg in Q Who were just ridiculously difficult to defeat, and having not encountered them before the Enterprise couldn't defeat them there alone. Q caught them (intentionally) completely off guard and thew them into a situation that was unwinnable. The same would have happened if Q flung them into Dominion space, or any foe that is more powerful than they are, alone and unprepared.

12. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

satire (n)

13. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Sorry I didn't read all the posts since page one, but one thing I'd say is I'm sick of the Borg too, but if a story is really good, then what I agree to do is bang my head on a wall so I forget everything since Peter David's Vendetta and then try and read it like it was new.

14. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Start bangin', pal.:brickwall: :)

15. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Way ahead of you! :techman:

16. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

not enough time to read through all the posts . .

would Destiny be set in 2371, or overlap with Articles of the Federation in late 2370?

will there be an Annotations webpage ?? :drool:

17. David Mack

^ You're off by about 10 years. Articles took place in 2380. Destiny takes place in multiple time periods, with the majority of the action in 2381.

As for annotations, I'd like to, but I just don't have the time right now to compile one.

18. Captain W Riker

Captain W Riker Lieutenant Red Shirt

Any news on when we'll see the cover art for the books?

19. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

I would imagine they'll release them at Shore Leave next month. The cover for Mere Mortals was shown at NYCC, but wasn't released generally because, IIRC, Pocket wanted to release all three together.

ETA: Sorry for jumping in on you there, David...

20. David Mack

^ Not yet. It's still being produced. No word from my esteemed editors as to whether it will be ready in time for the Shore Leave convention July 11-13.