a 198'' model of the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-A

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Stephane-1974, Feb 10, 2013.

1. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you building the Refit or the -A?

2. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I'm assuming he's building the A since it's in the thread title. But what version of the A?! Personally, I am in the minority in saying that I like the A bridge from ST:TFF. It's clean, simple, and bright.

Ya- I'm curious which version too... There are so many from movie to movie. Changes to the bridge. Engineering. Shuttle decks.

Actually, a good source for images would be Trek Core's screen caps section. Lot's of great reference pictures there!

3. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually I did assume the A as well but I've seen many people refer to the refit as the A. I prefer the TMP version of the refit and the TVH version of the A.

4. Stephane-1974

Stephane-1974 Ensign Newbie

Enterprise A. Deciding which version of the A was very difficult. I prefer the bridge from the Final Frontier, for the same reasons Patrickvan mentioned, but the Hangar deck from Enterprise Refit. What to do? An easy solution would be to pretend that it's Enterprise somewhere in time after installing that version of the bridge(TFF) module but before changing the hangar deck. Practical but far from being canon.

At that scale, i intend to make figurines to act as crew. They would be over an inch tall. The uniform came to play a big part in the decision. For the time being it's TFF version, even it means the later version of the shuttle deck. Eventually, if time permits (if i don't die of old age before completing this project ha!) I would very much like to build all variants.

ideas and suggestions are very much welcomed

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A lot of people may hate it, but a Planet of the Titans Enterprise might make for a very good first time large model. The secondary hull is largely open in the back, and the shapes are very simple:
    http://trekweb.com/articles/2010/02...tans-The-Art-of-the-Unfilmed-Trek-Movie.shtml
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=67493

Details
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?76117-Tech-Flooor-Tests

Now, the reason I mention this is that this is the largest of all Enterprise concepts, and the saucer could be super-detailed, with you spending less time trying to match Probert's fluid shapes on your first go.

6. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Why not do the NCC-1701 from the TMP movie... it had a better perlescent finish...

7. William66

William66 Cadet Newbie

Stephane, how do I contact you?

William

8. Stephane-1974

good morning everyone! what a great Monday morning this is.

----UPDATE----
    today, cutting parts on the cnc router table! WOOOT!!! :)

the parts are for the rings forming the secondary hull. I'll take pictures and film too. If all goes well, this evening she will start to take form.

----ANSWERS----
    to publiusr - i think i'll stick to the Enterprise A. Thanks for the links, those are very cool concepts and perhaps some elements could be included in Enterprise.

to CuttingEdge100 - TMP Enterprise has a very cool paint job indeed. Did not take time to study colors and 'finish' variations yet, could you be of assistance?

to William66 - you can email me at datavinci.studio@gmail.com or you through facebook https://www.facebook.com/steph.letrespresent

----COMMENTS----
    building a project like this, i don't think it's been done before. There are a few very large model of Enterprise but it's usually exterior only and if it has some interior parts it's still not the entire ship. Meaning that you don't plan a hangar addition to a hollow model the same way you would for a model that is made deck for deck.

making the superstructure of the ship is proving to be a MAJOR challenge. Since i'm pretty sure it won't be right on the first try, i am making it in a way that parts can be changed. It's sounds complicated but it is not.

Contacted Mr. Probert to get some guidelines on how he envisioned Enterprise. From there, went back to make corrections to what was drawn. Trying to use as much as possible reference from 'official' sources for what's known and keeping as original to 'trek' design for the unknown.

Finally, to honor the people who worked on Enterprise, i'm trying to put in a bit of everyone's designs and ideas.

that's about it for the moment. Pictures coming soon :)

regards,

Steph

9. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Wow...this really sounds like a mega project. BTW...for everyone living in the metric world...198" would be about 60 meters.

10. Stephane-1974

198 inches is 16 feet and a half

or

502.92 centimeter / 5.029 2 meter

60 meters that would make for one heck of a model!

11. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

FreddyE, us old-timey Americans use one apostrophe as short for "foot" and two for "inch." So a 198' model would be twelve times larger than a 198" model. Easy mistake to make.

--Alex

12. ACE

ACE Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm curious. Why 198" and not 200"?

The studio model was exactly 100" long at 1/120 scale, or 1/10" = 1'.
    A 200" model would be exactly twice the studio model's scale at 1/60, or 0.20" (1/5") = 1'.

I was just wondering how you arrived at 198 inches for a size. :)

13. Stephane-1974

came to 16.5 feet (198inches) because of the place where Enterprise will be installed. She will go in a 20feet by 10feet train car, another project we have going.

The primary hull of Enterprise served to determine how wide we could go and leave enough room to walk around. At 198inches long, the primary hull comes to 7.92feet (95.02inches)

Also had to do with how small i am comfortable to work at with my equipment vs the details i wanted to include such as figurines and lit consoles.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Good luck trying to mimic the paint job of the TMP Enterprise. It's considered one of the most beautiful and difficult paint jobs in the world of sci-fi.

15. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Yeah I liked the TMP more...

There are all sorts of online stuff about how they painted the design

16. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

uups...I miscalculated...uhm....sorry ;-)

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

So, any updates on the way? :)

18. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I was wondering about this also!

--Alex