Worst lines of dialogue in the entire series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mister Atoz, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Captain Tracy

Captain Tracy Commander Red Shirt

And that is your opinion, and your personal right to hold that opinion - as long as that right is still yours - and has not been litigated away,on your behalf, by your Leaders.

So enjoy that freedom fully, while it lasts,... and just for fun, check out the episode - or any of the others that have been mentioned - and try not to sell those "Olde Tyme" writers so short,.. they might just be more clever than you are presuming,... AND, you might be entertained in a whole new way,.. like a Brave New World.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't recall ever saying anything about "Old Tyme" writers from the "Stone Age" much less selling them short or claiming they're less than clever. :shrug:

I don't see my right to express my opinion going away in my lifetime.

3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    A bumbling conspiracy revealed but unthwarted by an obscure 60's sci-fi show... yeah.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think your taking Trek a bit too seriously Captain Tracy. :techman:

5. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

How 'bout we get back on topic, eh?

6. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Poor dialogue ... yes, it does exist.

"Commander, the cloaking device is gone!"

(spoken after the Commander and other Romulans had all been in the room for several seconds, well aware that there would be an attempt to steal the cloaking device, and nobody had noticed anything except the unconscious guard on the floor behind where the cloaking device should have been quite prominently on display in the center of the room)

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It was inwented by Russians.

8. Mister Atoz

Mister Atoz Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's a good one! Maybe the Romulans are just bumbling idiots, but "We are surrounded" has no meaning when the Enterprise can just fire up it's engines and "Move away at extreme speed" any time it wants to.

~ Atoz

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Part of the problem with that cloaking device scene was Dorothy Fontana intended for it to be much smaller, possibly easily held in a hand. Instead, it was the size of a table lamp.

10. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, that also explains why Kirk unfathomably had trouble finding the bloody thing.

11. Melakon

And he never uses a tricorder to find it, he somehow intuitively just grabs it. It could have been a waste extraction module, for all he knew.

12. Mister Atoz

Great discussion. Gawd, I thought the cloaking device was too small as it was. Let's face it, Enterprise Incident probably has more "holes" in it than any other episode.

The point is, all the worst dialogue is going to be in Season Three, because Gene Coon had left the show, and so had Robert Justman. When i started this thread, what I meant by worst dialogue was dialogue that is clumsy or inept, not necessarily reflecting poor or non-credible plot points alone... dialogue that doesn't flow very well and is awkward.

~ Atoz

~ Mr Atoz

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought Gene Coon wrote some episodes under Lee Cronin?

Coon had a hand in these four episodes:

Spock's Brain
    Spectre of the Gun
    Wink of an Eye
    Let That Be Your Last Battlefield

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yes, Coon wrote episodes under the name "Lee Cronin" during the third season (for contractual reasons). He wasn't on staff, however, which meant he wasn't around to do re-writes.

(He actually left during the second season; John Meredyth Lucas assumed his role for the remainder of that year.)

15. Mister Atoz

Yes Bill J, that's an extremely good point. But each script did not get "polished" as before. There are a lot more rough edges. The scripts seem to have less depth, only surface action, not the multi-layered character interaction we had seen before, IMHO.

yours

~ Atoz

16. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Oh goodness, I just watched Conscience of the King. Love the episode, but some of the dialogue from Kodos' daughter was laugh-out-loud awful - especially when she starts talking about throbbing...

17. Revolution

Revolution Ensign Red Shirt

There was a really poorly dubbed line in Patterns of Force, IIRC. Isak's line is dubbed in while they hide out in the science lab; something along the lines of "Yes. Now we can steal a car, get out of the capital". No groundbreaking awfulness, but it always takes me out of the story a bit because it's so out of place with his lip movements!

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

"Captain, I'm scared!"

19. Mister Atoz

Yeah, I know that one! A line of dialogue is spoken, but his lips don't move. Incredible. As I recall it happens elsewhere in the series...can't recall where.

~ Atoz

20. Melakon

But her end of show breakdown, mournful sobbing turning into maniacal laughter, is one of my favorite scenes.

Barbara Crampton sort of redoes it in Stuart Gordon's wonderfully over the top From Beyond (starring Jeffrey Combs).