Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Yes, and that would have meant less of both the existing (and forthcoming) Season 3 AND Season 4 material. It's now obvious that the theme of S4 will be the growing Klingon storyline (as S3 focused on the Borg, etc.), and that would have diluted both seasons' thematic value.

Anyway, they didn't want to split the commentary between two episodes, so it's a moot point anyway. I mean, how many times did we all see people saying that the didn't want to pay for the full sets, but they'd gladly buy a copy of BOBW if it was released on its own? This is CBS offering a product that the consumers have literally been asking for.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But if your a fan who will actually buy the season sets, you're forced to buy a separate disc for features that should've honestly came with the season sets if you want them. I'm sorry, but The Best of Both Worlds special features being shunted to an additional disc have left a far worse taste in my mouth than the season two debacle. It should really leave a bad taste in the mouth of all Trekkies. It feels like we got a half-completed video game and told if we want the rest we'll have to buy the DLC (which I've seen happen).

3. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

I would rather have the additional content exist in a separate disc, than have that additional content not exist, which is what would have been the alternative. That's how I feel about it.

4. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Which would have raised the price of the S3 set by about the same price the separate disc cost during release week. In my case, Best Buy matched the Target prices, gave me $5 extra off and I was able to use $10 in rewards points that I had accumulated for free by just voting in their silly facebook polls.

If you were a Trekkie that was paying attention to all the deals that were available (by frequenting Blu-ray.com) then you would have essentially gotten the BOBW disc for free. You should follow this example for the next round of discs in July. :)

5. BillJ

I essentially only paid five bucks for it when Wal-Mart matched the Target deal and I gave the disc to my daughter so all wasn't lost. But, if this is designed to lure in casual buyers they shouldn't penalize the people who are there buying the regular season sets by forcing them to buy an additional disc to get "everything" (or at least until the inevitable re-release that they'll do in which they find the room in the set proper for the BOBW extras and list that as a feature).

The double-dips I've done over the years don't bother me, but this does. :shrug:

6. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Again, as Maxwell Everett posted, you would have paid more for Season 3 if that additional disc had been included in the season set. So it doesn't matter if it was included or not.

Besides, every little bit counts for funding the future series' remastering efforts.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'd happily pay a little extra to have the extra VAM included on the season sets, which, again, are being marketed as some sort of 'definitive' release.

8. Maxwell Everett

Ok, just so I'm clear... you're upset you paid five extra bucks for a disc you eventually gave to your daughter? In the grand scheme of things then, how much does it REALLY bother you -- scale of one to ten on the list of worst double-dips ever?

Further, what if someone told you (hypothetically) that selling these standalone discs (BOBW, Redemption, possibly Unification, Chain of Command, etc.) more or less helped bankroll and greenlight a full HD DS9, all seven seasons (even the CG VFX) filled to the brim with all new VAM... and that a similar tactic with DS9 helped bankroll VOY. Would that change your opinion? :)

Consider what's going on with The X-Files over at 20th Century Fox right now. HD Conform by HTV, all VFX shots upconverted from D1 tape -- including shots with live action elements.

9. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Just as an aside, seven-disc Blu-ray cases are notoriously fragile. The TOS S1 / S2 cases crack so easily.

10. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel like I've just been punched in the gut reading that......:scream:

11. Maxwell Everett

I know, right? TNG is really getting the royal treatment. You can read a bit more about The X-Files here:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-rumor-mill/true-lies-abyss-2014-x-files-twin-peaks

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Jeeez. I had no real desire to own or rewatch X-Files on blu-ray, but that is still lame as hell.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm glad CBS are releasing movie-length ep Blu-rays. Otherwise, what would people complain about until the next travesty?

1. 4x3 instead of widescreen.
    2. HTV screws the pooch.
    3. Exclusive material on solo releases.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What's the point of releasing on BR if some parts are just going to be upconverted?:sigh:

15. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only bit of good news I took from that is that we might get Twin Peaks on BD at some point.

It's gone from a "day one purchase" to a "wait and read the reviews" maybe purchase.

Well I guess they did the same thing with Firefly didn't they? That was better than the DVDs, but still, short of what I expect now thanks to the TNG remasters. Damn it, I've slept since and I'm still f*cked off about this. :scream:

16. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uhm... the live action footage? Which makes up more than 90% of an X-Files episode.

Firefly and Enterprise were also released in HD with upconverted SFX footage. Nevertheless quite an improvement from dvd.

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having listened to the BOBW commentary track - actually, yes. Since pretty much all of the interesting stuff was already in the documentary, while the same probably isn't true for the one for "The Bonding". :techman:

Is it just me, or did the commentary track seem like it was out of sync during part 2? As if they'd had the fade to black when they were recording it, and it was only cut out later (killing sync)?

19. BillJ

I want TNG on Blu-ray because I want TNG on Blu-ray, not because buying it will lead to hypothetical releases down the road. Plus, I simply don't believe other series HD makeovers rely solely on how well TNG sells. I think actual cost, likely revenue sources beyond the Blu-ray (syndication, streaming) and even the sales performance of Enterprise (which I haven't bought and have no intention of buying) will factor as much into any decisions regarding the other two series.

20. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

You are really, really incorrect.