Boiling on the stove vs. the microwave

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Vanyel, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Why does tea taste better when you boil the water on the stove, or electric kettle than in the microwave oven?

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I like everything cooked with an open flame...boiling too.

3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well you learn something new every day, i had no idea people used the microwave to make tea, never crossed my mind, not that its much of a mind to traverse.:lol:

4. Vanyel

To elaborate, my father was making cinnamon tea, I felt like having a cup, so he got enough water for both of us. He boiled the water in the microwave because, to him, using the stove takes too long. Anyway I noticed that my cup tasted different from when I make it (by boiling water in a kettle). It just tasted wrong and I want to know why.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It probably doesn't come to a full boil. I don't have a teapot, so I boil my water in a microwave, in the ceramic mug, and then add the tea afterward.

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

[highlight]WARNING[/highlight] If you boil water in a microwave, wait a minute or so to let the liquid cool before taking it out. It can explode in your face. It happened to a friend of a friend. She had to have skin grafts on her face. Microwave Danger.
    It is rare but it does happen, often with serious injury. Just a public service announcement.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I boil water for my tea in my microwave all the time (and I drink quite a lot of different teas). To me, the key is not to overboil the water--stopping it just as the first few bubbles appear on the surface--and then not overbrewing the tea afterwards.

I also never boil cold water in a cup with the tea already in it either.

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I boil water in a pan on the stove...???

maybe I am crazy.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You can avoid the exploding water thing by putting something -like a wooden skewer- in the vessel you're boiling water in, this give bubbles a place to form.

10. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Electric Kettles seem to be a fairly uncommon thing in the USA. I don't think you'd find a house without one in the UK.

11. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

Microwaving doesn't remove the lime. In a kettle or a pan, it (and other trace minerals) will coagulate on the metal surface.

The metal pan may liberate ions too. You know how you can taste the metal of a spoon if you sit it on your tongue? Doesn't it taste a bit like boiled water?

Also, boiling in a kettle/pan tends to drive off any dissolved gases. The microwave may not boil the water, only heat it to hot, so does not remove gases as readily.

12. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Interesting. I thought it was the addition of the tincture of time that makes kettle boiled water for tea so tasty! ;)

(Maybe it's actually anticpation!)

13. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

Because I heard about the water that exploded after being microwaved, I always use a stove-top. It takes longer and uses more energy, which is annoying. But now I don't trust microwaved water.

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I've always had an electric kettle in the house.

Although the roommate's parents once did melt the plastic part of one by turning on the stove burner I stored it on.....

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Electric ketters are a good compromise between taste and speed I think, and it's what I use, though my Greek mother used to swear by a briki instead (and admittedly, they are esp. useful when you're just making one or two cups).

16. Udat

Udat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Include zim in that

17. Vanyel

I've had one - not the same one - for about 10 years or so. Before that I just boiled the water in a pan or in old fashioned whistling kettle.

18. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

I use an electric kettle, so does my mom, and we have some at work too. I like it, espcially the automatic shut off. Plus, I don't have to move it off the stove when I'm cooking.

19. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I use an electric kettle. And if I recall correctly from Mythbusters, microwaved tap water can't explode. Only superheated distilled water can.

20. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

What I've always wondered is why reheated tea isn't as good as fresh tea, and why it tastes better if you put the milk in before microwaving it rather than after.