WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CTM, May 12, 2009.

1. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

SA WEEEEEET.....oh that was worth the wait...

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

So will this be the TMP/TWOK/TSFS/TVH bridge or the newer TFF/TUC bridge? The exterior looks fantastic, BTW! Do you plan on skinning/texturing the overall exterior of the ship matching the original paint job?

3. CTM

CTM Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Saquist - I'm still not happy with the joint along the side of the dome where the aft portion is supposed to merge smoothly into the forward surrounding edge. Glad you approve anyway. There is much detail left to add, but I didn't want to deprive folks of the current state of the project.

This is a solid object, I will carve out the space inside and build the bridge there, eventually.

137th Gebirg - I haven't decided. I rather like the TUC bridge from an actual operations standpoint, but I don't think it would fit in this "module" - this module is based on the TMP model - with two lifts in the rear. The TUC bridge would require the lifts approximately on the midline on the sides. I would build a specific bridge module for that particular design (and I may do just that). As for textures, that is beyond the capability of my AutoCAD. I can do some basic coloring (which I haven't yet on this object), but basically I'm doing Engineering Drawings, not Artistic Drawings.

4. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Yeah this is even more of a challenge with 2000 at least 2007 has some additional tools to blend this better. I respect the work anyway. And know you have to carve this out...

If you could I would like to see some pics on that...may help me to see the process.

5. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

All of the bridges, TMP, TVH, TFF, TUC, fit inside that module, no problems with the lifts.

6. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't be too sure of that. They may fit in the floorplan of the module, but this is a 3D object that curves and has different heights. The 'box' attatched to the dome contains the turbolifts and the airlock. Move the lifts forward, and the 'box' has to surround the dome more.

7. 137th Gebirg

Actually, no they don't. There are lots of problems, in fact. CTM is right and I forgot about the lifts. they are both farther apart by one full panel each away from each other in TFF and two full panels by the time TUC was made. This would put the lift shafts well outside the outer skin of the bridge dome. This is an even more horrendous bridge interior/exterior mismatch issue than the TOS Franz Joseph/Matt Jefferies "rotated bridge" wars that have plagued fandom for decades.

Here is the TMP refit bridge, along with the TWOK/TSFS bridge and the TVH bridge. All basically the same design where the turbo lifts are close together and to the rear of the bridge module, fitting nicely in the "airlock box" all the way in the back. The two domes on CTM's model are supposed to indicate the top of both shafts.

Now, here is the TFF bridge, where you're seeing that the lift doors are a bit farther apart. They might possibly fit, but they certainly don't line up with the two domes on the airlock box any more.

Finally, here is the TUC bridge, with similar aesthetics to the TFF bridge, but now the lift doors are on damn near opposite ends of the bridge module. there is absolutely no way that this design would fit in the old TMP refit module. They would stick out like ears if we saw a properly constructed exterior that was consistent with the set design.

My guess is the producers didn't want a separate set for the new Excelsior bridge like they had back in TSFS (which wasn't that great anyway, IMHO), and they really wanted that "kewl" alcove in the rear to make it look noticeably different from Kirk's ship without a lot of other big alterations (kind of like what they did between Enterprise and Reliant in TWOK, Grissom in TSFS and Sarotga/Yorktown in TVH), so they widened the lift doors to allow for that extra set piece and just re-skinned and reupholstered everything to save some money on the production for both bridges without much regard for the original filming miniature.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  8. CTM

CTM Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No. They don't. Specifically, the ST VI: TUC bridge cannot fit. The others can, but with the lifts on either side, it would absolutely HAVE to add bulges on either side to fit the lifts. All the other bridges can fit, but that one cannot fit.
    If you look here:
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/enterprise-a-bridge.jpg
    and
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/enterprise-a-bridge-tvh.jpg
    you can see the Turbo Lifts will not fit within this modeled exterior in the TUC version.

9. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Links....allll of them...dead.

10. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

Ya it is better if you post links to the gallery pages that these pictures are in rather than the pictures themselves (I see this ALL the time).

11. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Right click "Copy shortcut" (for IE) or "Copy link location" (for FF), paste that into your address bar and hit [Enter]

12. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That website does not allow direct linking. :borg:

13. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But if you backtrack to the gallery page there is wealth of bridge imagery!

14. 137th Gebirg

15. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

I forgot to note that this project is awsome by the way

16. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Seconded...

17. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well that is, if the top of the turbolifts would be the top of the module. But it is not, either is the dome you see the top of the bridge ceiling.
    Between the top of the bridge/turbolifts and the top of the module/dome, there is a big space. Once you model the bridges to specs, you will notice that.

Ofcourse, however as said above, the top of those turbolifts is less high than you might think.

To proove my point here some pics:

Top of the TWOK bridge:

[​IMG]

Top of the TUC bridge:

[​IMG]

TWOK persp:

[​IMG]

TUC persp:

[​IMG]

With dome:

[​IMG]

As said, if you model them up to specs.

18. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for those perspective shots, wjaspers - that makes sense.

19. ZStar

ZStar Ensign Red Shirt

wjaspers - Those are some beautiful renders. However, to my eye it looks like your interior is scaled too small for the exterior. What dimensions did you use for the bridge interior and the bridge module exterior?

20. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I first saw the doors in the foward Position I thought that it was a hallway going to the turboelevator shaft. So I came up with this variation :)
    [​IMG]

Great work by the way.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010