"Arena" Line-by-Line

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by LeadHead, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Athena28

Athena28 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[Planet]

KIRK: This is Captain James Kirk of the Starship Enterprise. Who ever finds this please get it to Starfleet Command. I'm engaged in personal combat with a creature apparently called a Gorn. He's immensely strong. Already he has withstood attacks from me that would have killed a human being. Fortunately, though strong, he is not agile. The agility and, I hope, the cleverness, is mine.

The Metrons, the creatures that sent us both here, said that the surface of the planet provides the raw material to construct weapons. There's very little here. Scrub brush, rocks, an abundance of mineral deposits, but no weapons in the conventional sense. Still, I need to find one. Bare-handed against the Gorn; I have no chance.

2. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

[Bridge]

Spock: Leave channel one open, Lieutenant, just in case.

3. Athena28

UHURA: Aye, aye, sir.

4. Orac

McCoy: What are you going to do, Mister Spock?

5. Athena28

SPOCK: I'm going to wait, Doctor. There's little else I can do.

6. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

McCoy: What about the Captain?

7. Orac

Spock: If I could help him, I would. I cannot.

8. LeadHead

McCoy: Now, you're the one that's always talking about logic. What about some logic now? Where's the Captain, Mister Spock?

9. Orac

Spock: He's out there, Doctor. Out there somewhere in a thousand cubic parsecs of space, and there's absolutely nothing we can do to help him.

10. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

On the planet Kirk is looking for a weapon.

Kirk (into the recorder/Translator) : A large deposit of diamonds on the surface. Perhaps the hardest substance known in the universe. Beautifully crystallized and pointed, but too small to be useful as a weapon. An incredible fortune in stones, yet I would trade them all for a hand phaser, or a good solid club. Yet the Metrons said there would be weapons, if I could find them. Where? What kind?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  11. leandar

leandar Vice Admiral Admiral

(From his vantage point on the ridge, Kirk watches the Gorn at work, then spots a lone rock neatly balanced on a pinnacle above his adversary. He pushes it over, the Gorn looks up, then we get the cloud of dust and a view of the reptile under the rock, lying still. Confident, Kirk comes down to check on his kill, just in time to see the Gorn move, grasp his stone dagger, and get up again. The rock continues on its way down the slope. The mammal runs away, straight into reptiles trap of vines and rocks. Now Kirk is pinned under a boulder, and at his enemy's mercy.
    But the Gorn has to move the boulder to be able to stab him, so once again Kirk is able to dodge away, albeit with a limp.
    )

(Enterprise)

Spock: This is the U.S.S. Enterprise calling the Metrons. Our channels are open. Come in, please. We urgently desire a conference. Please answer.

12. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

[Planet surface]
    Kirk hobbles up to a rock face with bright yellow powder spread across it, and takes a rest. We keep cutting to the Gorn, who can hear everything he says, remember.

KIRK: This may be my last entry. I am almost exhausted. Unless I find the weapon the Metron mentioned I have very little time left. Native sulphur, diamonds. This place is a mineralogist's dream. Yet there is something about sulphur. Something very old. Something? If only I could remember.

The Gorn's roar comes closer, and he moves on.

13. Orac

[Bridge]

McCoy: The ship, our engines, our weapons. It's just inconceivable that we are immobilised.

14. LeadHead

Spock: But it has happened, Doctor.

15. Enterprise1981

Dimmed lights and swirly viewscreen again.

OUTER LIMITS CONTROL VOICE: We are the Metrons. Your Captain is losing his battle. We would suggest you make whatever memorial arrangements, if any, which are customary in your culture. We believe you have very little time left.

16. LeadHead

McCoy: We appeal to you in the name of civilization. Put a stop to this!

17. Enterprise1981

METRON: Your violent intent and actions demonstrate that you are not civilized. However, we are not without compassion. It is possible you may have feelings toward your Captain. So that you will be able to prepare yourself, we will allow you to see and hear what is now transpiring.

There on the viewscreen is their first sight of a Gorn, then Kirk and yet another mineral deposit.

18. LeadHead

McCoy: If there was only some way we could contact him.

19. Orac

Spock: Yes, indeed, Doctor, if only there were. Notice the substance encrusting that rock. Yes. Unless I'm mistaken, it's potassium nitrate.

20. Enterprise1981