Stargate to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Dream, Sep 6, 2013.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Animaniacs had a video game 10 years after the show ended. I don't think that means it's coming back.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Whether it's coming back is not the issue. The definition of "franchise" is the issue. A franchise is the whole shebang, all the various multimedia facets of a property. The show is just one part of the franchise, so the show being gone and the franchise being gone are two distinct matters. If the book line ends and the game goes under, and nothing new comes along, then we can say the franchise is dead. But that hasn't happened yet.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Late to the party...

I'd love to have some more big-screen Stargate movies (I loved the one that we got), the various TV series never did anything for me.

4. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

If there is going to be a movie and a reboot, we have to go somewhere between Kurt Russell (and Emmerich's) dead pan wooden O'Neil and RDA's later season irreverent O'Neill to find a balance.

I really think SGU was going to be that balance, but it started slow and the fans who loved SG1 and SGA killed it because it tried to be more serious in tone.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Like, say RDA's early O'Neill. That worked pretty well.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

When you look closely, RDA's O'Neill shows up a couple of times in Russell's performance. It's just that Russell's O'Neil was depressed and suicidal.

7. Danny99

Exactly, before the point where every line of his dialogue was an attempt and humor and when he tried to be serious, it didn't seem real.

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Early on, he was written as a sharp guy who pretended to be a goofball. Later seasons forgot that and just wrote him as a goofball.

9. Danny99

Don't know if that was RDA wanting to be a comedian or the writers giving up.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't be both?