Let's discuss all episodes of TOS

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by MikeNeko, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

Yeah, I must confess: I never thought much of The Omega Glory either - even back in the day. Propaganda...

2. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey!

3. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

I can't believe that I, a card-carrying Conspiracy Theorist & Liberal Libertarian, have been placed in the role of defending an episode of Trek for seeming too U.S. Government-friendly.:eek:

The ep was about the TRUTH of the WORDS of E-Plebnista, not a pro-government or pro-Vietnam War statement or propaganda.
    SHEESH!:rolleyes:

4. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Don't feel alone. I liked that episode a lot, too, even with the lyre scene. Kirk had a lot of funny, uncomfortable moments trying to play "dad" to the creepy kid-too-old-to-be-a-kid. Yeoman Rand had some good screen time and actually some useful things to do for a change, and I even liked the end when Kirk realized that it was true, Charlie couldn't co-exist with human beings without being thrown into a destroy or be destroyed paradigm. Good early Trek stuff.

5. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

What? Did I hit a nerve...? :devil:

How about "contrived" then? "Yangs/Yankees" and "Komms/Communists" - complete with racial stereotypes? Please...

6. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, i agree with you guys, it most likely was done as a "Halloween episode", which is pretty funny if you think about it. Chekov (and his bad hair) was definitely Trek's answer to the Beatles/Davy Jones/etc influence...omg, that hair! I also think it is pretty funny that Korob has this 'alien' type name, while Sylvia is named, well, SYLVIA! And their true forms, well, wtf? Funny~!

Also one of my favorites. I just LOVE that episode (and seeing that side of McCoy is such a HOOT!)

Like i said earlier, one of my favorites too~it is creepy and funny and i love to see some of the crew during their 'off hours'. And i do love seeing Rand do more than bring coffee to the captain. (Ever notice how his yeoman's bring him coffee etc at the stupidest times??)

7. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

What about "Metamorphosis?" I think it's an exceptional episode; inspiring guest performances from Elinor Donahue and Glenn Corbett and an intriguing story.

When the Companion sacrifices herself, I always cry. It contains the introduction of Zephram Cochran, an important event in Trek history. "Metamorphosis" is one of my favorites, but so low key that I sometimes forget that.

8. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    If the shoe fits . . . :techman:! One thing I did like about that ep was the unique way the Exeter's crew met their end . . . turned into a pile of crystals. Freaky! -- RR

9. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I recently rewatched that ep, too, and it was better than I remembered it. Cochrane's reaction to the idea that the Companion loved him was refreshingly racist and xenophobic. I had a similar reaction to The Empath, which at one time I didn't like. Guess I was too young to appreciate both. -- RR

10. Chrisisall

No. Why do you ask?:rolleyes:
    Take "contrived" out of SF TV & movies, and all that would be left is 2001: A space Odyssey.;)

11. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

I liked the off hours view, too. You never got to see a lot of that in TOS. It's funny. The older I've gotten, the more I see in Rand than I did when I was younger. Grace Lee Whitney brought a fairly savvy, been around the block more than once attitude to Rand that was lost on me as a kid. For a role that was pretty much de rigueur for attractive young women of that time period, I think she put as much character and personality into it as she could. I often got the impression that the coffee and food interruptions were because the writers had no idea what else to do with these characters.

12. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked Charlie X except for Kirk's apparent dumbness picking up on Charlie's powers in the face of odd goings on.

13. Yeoman Randi

As it so happens, last night Metamorphosis was the next ep that was in order to watch. A few things hit me about that ep:

Elinor Donahue's character was such a major bitch at first. So when she cried and spoke of how she was never loved etc. my immediate thought was, "Well, duh! i wonder why"....

But then i had the same reaction as you Jeri, once the Companion sacrificed herself. That was really lovely!

I loved Kirk's speeches. And i loved the Galileo. It looks just like the Hallmark ornament (or really, other way around).

This was one of my childhood favorite episodes and it had been quite some time since i had seen it. I really enjoyed it again.

14. Jeri

It is nice to see the Galileo -- and on the ground with the panel open and Spock working on it, no less. Just a different, refreshing kind of episode.

"Maybe you're a soldier so often, that you've forgotten you're also trained to be a diplomat. Why not try a carrot instead of a stick?" - Leonard McCoy

It's a beautiful moment when the Companion looks through the Commissioner's scarf.

15. Yeoman Randi

OMG YES!

16. Chrisisall

Er, when they look through.;)

17. Jeri

Well, it only means something to the Companion; to the Commissioner, it's just a scarf...

18. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've just watched Miri for the first time in ages and I thought it was pretty entertaining. However, they have the crew discover a planet that's an exact duplicate of Earth and don't even bother trying to explain why it's like that. No Star Trek, you can't do that!